1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Slot-head Screw Drivers??

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by dork, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Montetobuso

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

I have to say that it is really uncommon for me to even see a robertson screw here in Norway, and i can't say I have come across them in other European countries I have been travelling in either (I might be wrong here as I am more likely to deal with screws at all when at home, not on vacation).

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It slides right on phillips in the exact same way as it does on the Leatherman tools.

Brtsmpsn and znapschatz like this.
  3. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I’ve never seen any square screws here, except the screws on my drum set. And for these I bought an adapter for turning them with a ratchet. :)

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  4. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Robertson's screws are sold as "security" screws for some server towers. It's actually kind of amusing when you think about it.

ATB,
    Sam

Montetobuso and Brtsmpsn like this.
  5. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Just to add to the discussion. Slot head screws are less common then they once were but I've seen no evidence that they are being phased out. I've seen more combo screws that accept Philips or flat head drivers in recent years. I learned a long time ago that the advantage of the slot head is that it is less likely to strip then a Philips. The Philips driver won't slide out of the side of the slot like a flat will making it faster and more convenient. So both have an advantage.

As for a bit driver vs dedicated drivers. Bit drivers are great until you run into a countersunk screw in a hole that your driver will not fit into. For that reason alone I keep a set of dedicated screw drivers rather then a modern driver with interchangeable bits in my toolbox. I also find them handy at times on a multi tool. That said one flat head driver on a MT I'd enough IMO but I don't mind having two on my Rebar.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  6. Buzzcut

Buzzcut Loaded Pockets

Oh, bit retention is just fine, it's the retention of the klutz holding the multitool trying to switch bits that easily comes under question.

I have no doubt that a bit kit is superior (I've been eyeing a Topeak recently). The problem for me is that bit kits are additional bulk and items that I need to lug around. I tend to keep to tools that are pocket and/or keychain friendly (no belt carry). If a job needs something more robust, I'll just forego the multitool completely and lug my butt over to my car or closet and get out my tool box.

AK Adventurer and Brtsmpsn like this.
  7. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

I've been noticing the Robertson screws more and more in the US. The funny thing is that most US tool manufacturers are calling them "Square Drive" bits, with designations like "SQ 1" and "SQ 2." No love for the Canadians and people with three syllable names that don't roll off the tongue like "Phillips."

"Hand me the Phillips" rolls off easier than "hand me the Robertson's." Not by much, but then some of us Americans are arrogant like that I guess. :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Montetobuso likes this.
  8. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Next you'll be saying that Americans won't use Robertsons in metric sizes. :rofl_revamped:

ATB,
    Sam

9. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

Only when working on Canadian cars. :D

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well not to be too obvious but,THEY ARE SQUARE!

groovster likes this.
  11. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

Too true... :p

12. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

And on that note, anyone remember when hex drivers/hex keys were called Allen keys?

;)

groovster, SAKplumber and qqb825 like this.
  13. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

They still are.

ATB,
    Sam

groovster and SAKplumber like this.
  14. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

I've always considered a MT to be an emergency tool, maybe that's why they have so many standard screwdriver heads, the larger ones don't work for very small screws and sometimes a standard head can be used to take out a Phillips screw.
    In any case, I keep one in my pack but would never use one at work, to do so in my trade actually makes guys look unprepared for the task.

15. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

Oh and yeah we still call hex heads Allen wrenches

16. Samuel Sturm

Samuel Sturm Loaded Pockets

I work delivering furniture in the USA, and I'm seeing more and more Robertson #2 screws. Interestingly, they often have the corners cut out to accept a Phillips bit also, although trying to actually use a Phillips bit in them is often an exercise in frustration unless you can generate enough pressure to prevent them camming out. I haven't run across a type I like better than Robertson yet. Everything else is prone to camming or stripping, I've found.

As for flathead screws, I haven't seen them in a modern piece of furniture yet. Plenty of them in the old stuff, though.

groovster likes this.
  17. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Torx is said to not cam. But with electrical tools it’s easier to break a torx screw since they don’t cam when they’re tight.

18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is my feeling in general as well.

I carry an MT everywhere and am fully prepared to do what I need to whether it is go at a problem with a MT or fall back to the truck and get real tools but I do like having the MT on my person as many times it will be up to the task and I might not get much real gain from getting different tools.

But you know what they say,Jack of all Trades Master of None.

Makes sense to me about any MT that I have.

19. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

Robertson screws were apparently the screws of choice for Henry Ford, but Robertson wouldn't license Ford the screws, so Ford chose Phillips instead. There may be some lingering animosity there. Plus, I believe the Robertson patent ran out in the 60s, so now they can be produced by anyone and called anything. Animosity + Freedom (+ a square shape) = Square drive bits!

groovster likes this.