1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Slot-head Screw Drivers??

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by dork, Mar 14, 2014.

1. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

The Leatherman idea of including a bit driver (Vic does something similar on the Cybertools) is not that bad. A driver for standard sized bits would need the space of at least three flathead implements. ;)
    There could be a holder for exchangeable tools, so you could combine different ones depending on your needs. The C4 punch on the MUT EOD is replaceable. If it was a universal holder you could put for example a ferro rod there instead, since most people don’t need to blow stuff up every day. ;)

Last edited by batteur, Mar 15, 2014
    AK Adventurer likes this.
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would totally dig the bottle opener and can opener being replaced with a reversible ratchet like the Topeak. I don't need a can opener, already have two bottle openers.

3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Given that two of the things I like about my VIM HBR3 ratchet is both how small, and weightless it is... to the point I can almost use it as a palm ratchet, the thought of grafting a multitool to it makes me inwardly cringe. :frantic:

I'm also enamored of the fact that it has both a ratcheting and fixed bit driver.

Sometimes separation is good.

ATB,
    Sam

4. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

The idea of a built in right angle ratchet makes me cringe for the same reasons as @indigo_wolf. Smaller is better there IMO.

BUT if they could come up with a sturdy, compact Inline ratcheting driver built in, I could kill for it! That concept was why I built my ratcheting extension, which works, but is no where near as compact as I would like it to be, or need it to be at times... and its still a sepperate piece to carry(and lose).

Lou_G likes this.
  5. Buzzcut

Buzzcut Loaded Pockets

I find it interesting that anyone would find flat-head/standard drivers to be a waste. When doing odd jobs in my Father's house, the apartments I've lived in, or at work, I find standard screws far more often than phillips/hex/etc.; and often in various sizes. So having at least two sizes is a big advantage, imo, to the point that the OP actually shocked me a bit. Obviously AK Adventurer was right, and it depends on the type of item you're tinkering with and the age in which they were built, I just never realized it.

That said, the lack of Phillips drivers--especially in OPMTs--is a big deficit imo.

BTW, I find the driver's on the classic Vic SAK to still be the best for most tasks (and the smaller one works for many Phillips heads as well). Also, I use a Deluxe Tinker, which has the surprisingly robust Phillips "T" driver as an added bonus. No other multitools, big or small, do as well.

6. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

I never see slot-head screws in Japan and would have to agree with that choice. I personally don't see any advantage in using slot-head screws and marvel at their continued existence. With that said, I am an ignorant buffoon and stand ready to be corrected. Educate me, please.

vegassprky likes this.
  7. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I think there are mainly three reasons why there are still so many flat head drivers in multitools and Swiss army knives:

• They make good combo tools. As mentioned by others in this thread, a good flat head driver can also be used as a small pry bar, for opening paint cans etc. Also, it is rather easy to make combo tools that include a flat head driver by design, such as the classic can/bottle opener tools found on Swiss army knives.
    • Even though flat head screws are being phased out - and have been for at least 30 years - they are still fairly common. Also, you come across them in all sizes, from pretty darn huge to the minuscule ones found in eye glasses and electric screw terminals ("sugar cubes"). There is no way one driver can cover all these sizes.
    • Last, but not least, a flat head screw driver is probably one of the cheapest, easiest tools you can add to a multitool. All in all, it is nothing more than a flat, squarish piece of steel, so making one does not require too many steps or very complex machinery. Also, being flat, they do not take up very much space, so you can easily add many of them to an MT without it growing all that thick.
    EDIT: Grammar corrected

Last edited by sungame, Mar 19, 2014
  8. Drifty

Drifty Empty Pockets

One thing I have never seen a Phillips screw on is an electrical outlet cover plate they always seem to be flat head screws even the new ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

sungame, CNeal and vegassprky like this.
  9. Buzzcut

Buzzcut Loaded Pockets

I would never call you an ignorant buffoon, good sir. I'd never claim that standard screws are better. I can't speak to the advantages/disadvantages of one or the other screw for one or the other repair. I'm no tool guy, I practically need a Youtube tutorial in order to plug in a lamp. All I know is that standard screws are pretty common where I've lived, and therefore assumed (wrongly, obviously) that they were fairly ubiquitous everywhere else. The fact that they aren't was a mild surprise to me. :)

BarksAtCats likes this.
  10. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Huh, I use my flat head drivers all the time.
    Even broke a couple off and had to regrind a tip on the tool.
    For phillips heads, oddly I find that a PB2 sized bit fits most phillips heads out there.

11. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

Ah yes, I do recall that in the states. Most likely so the driver cams out before you crack the plastic cover. In Japan (sorry for that repetitive phrase, but it's my only point of comparison), the plastic cover plates snap onto the underlying frame so *voila!* no visible screws (and no slot-head screws)!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

I think ANY screwdriver on a multitool is useless. There should be one bit driver that uses standard, interchangeable bits.

" I'm no tool guy, I practically need a Youtube tutorial in order to plug in a lamp." LOLOL!!! I almost spewed my soda all over the keyboard! :rofl:

Nick4305 likes this.
  13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble but they are common right now on plates of most kinds,you just have to pick them instead of the slotted ones.
    Most Low Voltage plates come standard with Phillips right now and many Outlet and Switch plates do too.

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You can't lose the blades on a MT bit you can easily lose or forget interchangeable bits,I do all the time!

15. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

If you have a Leatherman that takes the Leatherman bits they actually have "Canadian" bits on there website under accessories. IIRC Robertson screws are common in most countries except the US. I am sure some of our worldly members can speak to that as well.

Nick4305 likes this.
  16. Buzzcut

Buzzcut Loaded Pockets

I agree with EZDog. Bits have an annoying way of getting lost or dropped at the worst times.

And I'm only half joking about the Youtube tutorials. ;-)

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  17. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

bits might get lost(although I've never had that happen, so I don;t know whats wrong with the retension in the drivers y'all are using), but once the built in drivers round off, or round out screws from being on average the wrong size, you have a problem. bits are easily replaced when worn.

Thats why I changed back to Leathermans from the Vic Spirit, the built in phillips driver was softer than the other tools, and a lot softer than standard bits, and an odd size. It rounded off easily, and mangled too many screws too.

Brtsmpsn and Nick4305 like this.
  18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

What I really meant was that it is just not as easy having to carry extra things and then configure the tool for different things as it is to just pull it out and use the built-in driver blades.

Having said that it is exactly what I do anyway because like you say the bits are usually better in every way than the blades.

I use the Leatherman Bit Adapter card with the Vic Spirit and it works just fine too so I don't have to carry a tool I am not as happy with just to get interchangeable bits.
    The adapter also works perfectly with the Gerber old school OHTs that I often carry.

Brtsmpsn and AK Adventurer like this.
  19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Also I have found Robertson bits with almost no trouble any time I need them?

My RV is assembled entirely with them as I think most are and also the KREG joinery system uses them in one form and use them for both purposes almost every day.

You can even buy them in the USA in bigger packs of 25 or more just like any Phillips bit.

Brtsmpsn and AK Adventurer like this.
  20. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

The Leatherman bit adapter fits over a square base on the permanently attached Ph driver. How does it fit on the Spirit?