1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Slot-head Screw Drivers??

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by dork, Mar 14, 2014.

1. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

Why do some multi-tools (ST300 & Rebar) have so many slot-head screw drivers? I can't remember the last time I saw or used a slot-head screw. I personally would prefer a couple Phillips options, or a hex or torx. If it's the slot-head driver's multi-functionality (pry bar, scraper), one would do just fine. Enlighten me, please!

2. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

A flathead? it takes up space mostly.

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

sungame likes this.
  4. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

What I'm asking is why THREE on one MT, like the ST300 or Rebar? I will use ONE every day (never for screwing!), but why take up space with THREE?

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sorry. I didn't realize that LM did. That...I'm not a LM guy and your OP didn't label them by an exact figure.

Upon reflection, I realized that the VIC has three too. Though different sizes:)

6. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

It depends. Even if three on the ST 300 seems excessive, I manage to use all or most of mine in a year or so.

Actually, though, the Rebar has only two, so somebody seems to have got your message.
    A trend, perhaps?

7. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I think the Swisstool has 2-3... it has a separate scraper that is ground sharp enough that it would not function safely as a screwdriver.

Anecdotally, slot-heads especially shallow aluminum ones tend to jump free more often when there is a gap in size between the driver and the screw. The seems to happen less often with Philips, hex, or torx heads with similar gaps.

Never really bothered me that much. The MT has most of the tools I need, and the bag has an embarrassing amount of bit drivers (close quarters dual head, straight fixed, right angle ratched/fixed, simple fixed) and a rogues gallery of bits

ATB,
    Sam

khclarkson and SAKplumber like this.
  8. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

No worries. Just wondering. I have a Spirit too and now that you mention it, it does have three slot-heads as well! (Although only one is dedicated.)

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

FYI, "jumping out" is call "camming out" and is an intentional part of screw-head design. Screws are made that way to prevent over-tightening. When machines with torque-measuring functions were developed, the slot-head and Phillips were replaced with hex screws (and later torx) that do not cam out but were never in danger of over-tightening due to the machinery settings. Needless to say, slot-heads cam out sooner than Phillips, and hex and torx never cam out.

10. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I also would like more phillips sizes, but like the different slot heads for different size screws. Depending on your line of work, you may run across a lot more slot heads than you think. I hate having to fix something that someone else used the wrong size driver on and ruined the screw head.

SAKplumber and vegassprky like this.
  11. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Things made around 30+ years ago tend to have slot heads quite unlike the modern standardized ones - on furniture, I've seen both small roundhead screws with freaking wide slots, or large cylindrical screws with razor-narrow slots... sometimes it pays to have an assortment of slot drivers, or even one you're ready to grind down to size!

12. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I’d like to have a multitool without any drivers, and more other tools instead. The drivers then can be supplemented by a bit kit with ratchet.
    Flatheads are a cheap and easy way to fill up the handle and push the tool count for marketing. :p

SAKplumber likes this.
  13. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Yeah, depends on what you do, where you work, and the age of what you work on. I see a lot of flat head screws, but I work in carpentry/remodeling of older houses, some dating to the 1940s or before. And my automotive work goes back to the 60s..

and what country your in too... I know Canadians that would kill for a Robertson #2 built into a multi, but I only ever see a robertson screw about once, maybe twice a year.

Also don't forget, a flat driver will fit into and turn phillips screws too... if the only phillips the tool has is a #2 but your project has #1 or #0 screws, your gonna be real thankfull for a small flat driver, that will fit the screw better than the #2P

In a lot of cases, a phillips driver will cam out of a phillips screw, even of the same/right size, long before a flat driver will cam out of the same screw.

Also works for some sized of torx, in a pinch. ( or so I'm told, never had to do that myself... I rarely ever see a torx screw either!)

CNeal likes this.
  14. AK Adventurer

Like what? (not being a smart :censored:/snide, really am curious what you'd like to see instead)

I carry a dedicated ratchet and bit kit, but the drivers on my multis are still used a lot, its less hassle on average to implement than the ratchet and loose bits are. The drivers are my most used tools after the pliers themselves.

YMMV, naturally.
    just curious here. :)

15. CNeal

CNeal Loaded Pockets

I work in the trades ( electrical ) I see as many slot screws as a see Phillips.

qqb825 and AK Adventurer like this.
  16. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

The scenario I was thinking of had nothing to do with over-torquing. Specifically, I was thinking of assembling furniture or hanging drapes or other activities that force you into strange contortions. If you have a standard screw drive that is undersized for the slot-head screw that you are working on, the screwdriver is constantly falling out of the slot. With the Swisstool, half the time I am using the standard size screwdriver and half the time, I am using the oversized one. The closer I can match the screwdriver to the slot-head in size, the less swearing and scaring the cat the task entails.

ATB,
    Sam

17. FACE
    • In Omnia Paratus

FACE EDC Junkie!!!

Atleast you guys don't have my problem ........... always needing a robertson screwdriver but never finding one. Of course, only the bit driver sets work in this scenario, and most of the time the specialized robertson bit drivers are harder to find if any. I don't even think LM or VIC makes them for there multitools. :stomp:

AK Adventurer likes this.
  18. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Have you thought of making yourself a:
    1. Key Chain Driver or
    2. Keychain Bit Holder
    To address your need for Robertson drivers?

ATB,
    Sam

Ippon and AK Adventurer like this.
  19. AK Adventurer

Ha! Case in point! :rofl: was more right than I thought I was... ;)

20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is one the reasons it is so tough to find the "Ideal" MT for me.
    I am often not willing to risk borking a screw head just because the MT is the only driver I am carrying at the time. Sometimes I am but sometimes I am not.

I am also only willing to sometimes carry enough variety on my person to avoid having to either come back with the right tool or not get the job done,so it never really ends for us does it?

I do think there could be a better middle ground for the Phillips driver and an additional smaller version could become standard in these tools so that we had a second smaller size to pick but I can usually use a small straight blade too as mentioned when it really matters.

Carrying bits and/or ratchets is fine if I want to do that bit it is not always practical.

So like everything else it is a balancing act to get it all done.

If I have what I need I look like a genius and if I don't I look like a moron and have to come back.

Tell me something I don't already know!