1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Slipjoint EDC?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by hatchetjack, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Always had a slip and never knew it lol- the Pocket Knife - I like my tactical folders but a time and place for every tool :)

AK Adventurer likes this.
  2. Kentucky

Kentucky Loaded Pockets

One of my very pocket knives and I still carry it often. A 1970 10x dot Case stockman..Well worn but still plenty of snap..Cleaned many squirrels and rabbits with it.

3. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

I carry a sodbuster or a congress every day with my EDC rotation.

4. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Can we (new guys) see a congress pic! Please :)

5. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

Here's the only Congress I own (at the moment) but it's a typical example. Rough Rider's are cheap imported slip joints but their quality is surprisingly good for the <$20 price point.
    [​IMG]

wrath0r and grrradical like this.
  6. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

And while we're on the subject, I'm a HUGE slip joint fan. I started with modern folders but lately have been buying nothing but traditional slippies. Here's a few favorites:

GEC #66 in Mammoth Ivory
    [​IMG]

Tidioute #15 "One Arm" TC Barlow in African Blackwood
    [​IMG]

Northwoods Madison Barlow in Blue Camel Bone
    [​IMG]

Northfield #15 Barlow in African Blackwood
    [​IMG]

Case Tear Drop in Ebony
    [​IMG]

Last edited by addylo, Dec 31, 2014
  7. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

HOLY SMOKES THATS GORGEOUS!! :inlove:

8. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

Yep she is, and one of my favorite knives. Northwoods are made by GEC. I couldn't resist this blue camel bone. Here's another view.

[​IMG]

9. ausgebombt

ausgebombt Loaded Pockets

Just a few of my MANY slipjoints...
    [​IMG]

currently carrying ...
    [​IMG]

10. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Hmm, yes, it can be done that way, and also by trimming the blade tangs themselves.. I did that to a nail breaker I have from GEC. That just depend on how much preload they put on the springs when installed, as in how much you could remove before making a gap.

I dunno how generous the offer is, I'm not really sure I can actually re-assemble a peanut... I'm used to bigger knives... And I could always mess up and go too far too...So you might not get anything out of this. ;)

I have another idea for you, if your willing to try something... its a lot less invasive than taking the knife apart, just takes some time.

Google; "Reducing backspring tension at knifeforums"

The basic idea is that a lot of collectors that display knives open, and with a blade at 45deg open, after time notice a weakening of the spring from it sitting stressed at full pressure for a long time. about 30 to 50 deg open is on average when there is the most force/load on a backspring.... So the concept here is to open the blade to that point and leave it for a week or two, checking it every few days to see if the pull lessens. Several folks over at knife forums claim this works well. I have no experiance, but the concept is valid I think... I just have doubts on the time needed, seems it could take a while IMO. But if your not carrying the knife anyway, and can't use it anyway... ;)

Anyway, just another thought for ya! :)

Adahn, grrradical and FL Woods Bum like this.
  11. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

I never heard a pocket knife with a non-locking blade called a slip joint but then I learn something knew all the time.

At one time I would have only bought a folding knife with a locking blade. However, for some obscure reason, the last new knife I bought did not have a locking blade. It is a Victorinox with a single blade. I think they call it a gardener's knife. It's a little on the large size for a pocket knife but that wasn't what I bought it for anyway.

Adahn likes this.
  12. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I may give that a try. When I first got my damascus/amber bone peanut, I made it a point to leave it open like that for a few weeks, and it did help a bit.

Adahn and AK Adventurer like this.
  13. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

By the opposite side of the coin, I've never bought a folding knife with a locking blade. I've always been a small slip joint pocket knife guy. I guess it was the era I grew up in. I'm probably one of the three or four people on the planet who would never buy a Buck knife. I remember when Buck first came out with the 110, and I looked at it with very great disdain, and asked why anyone would buy a knife with one single blade that weighed as much as a small boat anchor. Shows hoe smart I am, as it turned out to be a total game changer in folding knives.

Growing up, all the pocket knives I saw my dad and other men carry, were all a 3 inch or so two blade jack of some make or another. Shcrade, Camillus, Imperial, Hammer Brand, Keen Kutter, Western, and lots of others. They're all gone now, and most guys I know under 40 all carry some black handle one hand opening knife. I just don't like carrying a knife with one single blade when there are alternatives. If I have a knife in my pocket, I want it to be a multi blade. Either a jack with two or three blades like a stickman, or a SAK which gives me some tool options. I just can't seem to make myself give up pocket space for just one single blade no options knife. To me, a lock blade knife is a solution to a non existent problem.

MrOG, Nighted, wrath0r and 1 other person like this.
  14. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

It's funny how things come full circle. Eleven months ago I was carrying Frankentool and an EDCF stockman. I switched to a lighter Leatherman Style PS and a heavier custom SAK. After the spring bar on the scissors of the Style PS broke, I swapped back.

[​IMG]

With that said, I have a nice Beaver Tail on its way here. It may even show up today.

Swatsonia and KODIAKman like this.
  15. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

No offense but someone must have thought it was a good idea. I guess they didn't ask you or me. My father carried pretty much the same sort of knife as yours did and I have the ones he carried. They rust if you just look at them but they're sharp as razors. I will admit to liking Buck knives, though not to the exclusion of anything else. The one knife that gets used for things like cutting carpeting and the like is a full grown Bucklite folder. But it's way to big for a pocketknife, least for me. My favorite pocket knife is something like the small Bucklite because it actually fits in my pocket. It's even smaller than my car keys. But I don't like carrying things in my pockets anyway.

I'm also not much of a fan of multi-tools and multi-bladed knives although it certainly doesn't bother me what other people care to carry. Multi-tools of the Leatherman variety were strokes of genius but if I think I'll need a pair of pliers, I take a pair. I even have a pair for backpacking. I need it to open the fuel cap on my 45-year old camp stove. But I don't have a backpacking screwdriver because I don't have any camping gear that has screws. And as for that bandana that has a hundred uses? If you use it for it's primary purpose, I wouldn't care to use it for anything else.

The oldest pocketknife I have is a WWI army issue electrician's knife that belonged to my wife's grandfather. The current issue electrician's knife is almost identical. I expect pocketknives of two hundred years ago weren't all that different--and they're probably still available!

16. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

No offense to who? Someone must have thought what was a good idea?

17. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

No offense to Mr. Jackknife. Someone must have thought a locking blade on a folding knife was a good idea.

wrath0r likes this.
  18. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

My Beaver Tail arrived!

[​IMG]

19. 8steve88

8steve88 Loaded Pockets

Very much down-market to those shown but I rotate a few slipjoints, the law over here says 3" or under and non-locking blade for EDC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately the Granddaddy Barlow is a bit too large to carry legally.
    There are a lot of SanRenMu's recently that use another mechanism to hold the blade but still non locking.
    Here are three
    [​IMG]

They use the liners to grip the knife tang and d├ętente arms with balls (A) drop into holes (B).
    [​IMG]

Just a different take on the slip joint, it holds the blade securely. By adjusting the liner arms you can gey exactly the tension you want - tight or slack.
    I like the older style "traditional" slip-joints but there's room for more modern ones as well, if the hobby doesn't grow it stagnates wh9ch is no good for anyone.

Sofastreamer, Adahn and AK Adventurer like this.
  20. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

I rotate any one of my 30-40 sodbusters, and I have two 4 blade congress knives (CRKT and a Buck Creek). I also have a Boker Cox.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.