1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sling bag suggestions please

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by jjp, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jjp

jjp Empty Pockets

Hi all,

I’m hoping someone may have a suggestion for me. I’m looking for a sling pack. The maxped Noatak is the ideal bag for me and I have not found one I like more. HOWEVER while its perfect for outdoor actives, I can’t use it for edc to work because it’s too tactical.

Basically I’m looking for a less tactical looking version of the Noatak. I’ve had the Thule tactical sling. It’s nice but a little small and the ccw compartment made it really stiff and took up too much room. Since I wasn’t using the ccw, the bag didn’t work for me. I also had the Timbuk 2 netbook bag. Its nice as well but wasn’t perfect either. It was ok for walking on flat surfaces but anything else Id rather have a sling.

I may be asking too much but the bag will be used for edc to work, traveling and a day pack for outdoor and indoor locations and possibly a mini diaper bag ;). Also It has to be sling style . I care more about finding the right bag than price. The only other thing I could think of was somehow modify the Noatak to look less tactical ( open to suggestions for that as well ) I’m trying to avoid having 3+ bags and swap gear between them .

Thanks for reading.

2. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the EDCforums "jjp". I see you joined awhile ago, but haven't posted much. :)

Have you looked at the Tom Bihn Buzz?

3. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

You could take a look at the Lowepro 'Slingshot' range. The photographic dividers simply remove/velcro in and out, so they aren't camera specific. I have a smaller one, an A107 IIRC, and it's a nice little bag, very comfortable.

4. jjp

jjp Empty Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions im looking into those bags now

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

5. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Kata makes a nice photog one as well that holds a laptop, and the 5-11 Select Carry in non tactical colors

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Hate sling bags. The most over hyped and impractical type of bag that one can buy.

7. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I actually like them when I am riding the bus. Unlike a backpack, I don't have to take it off when I sit. I can just swing it around front. Certainly, they are not great for heavy loads, but that isn't what I used mine for.

8. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets

Adidas makes a few comfy slings standard teardrop shape and tons of room. Under Armour has one called the Khalon which supposedly has a laptopsleeve, but most reviews say the general shape of the bag prevents anything over 15". Apart from that, I can't think of many decent brands that make slings. I kind of liked the Maxped Monsoon, its big, roomy and in the right color (black) doesn't appear too tacticool.

9. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Then I won't mention I have three, or four. I'd have to count them again. :)

10. shrnky

shrnky Loaded Pockets

I'm with you Blade. In fact I prefer slings over backpacks on the trails. If you would be using a daypack without a waist strap a sling hugs the body better with less bounce.

11. Schuey2002

Schuey2002 Loaded Pockets

Me too. I'll take a two-strap backpack any day over a sling bag..

If I rode public transportation on a daily basis, that might be different. But since I don't, well...

12. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

Sling-bags seem to do well with certain anatomical body types and neck/shoulder structures.

They work terrific for me and 2 of my athlete teammates. For some of my burly, more-massive friends ... not so much so. Specifically, we are talking about Sitkas here ...

13. Makahbay

Makahbay Banned

I've cycled through a few different sling bags. I've decided that for me:

A Remora is the right size for a sling bag. It can fit the 'bare necessities' for day walk, short hike or a quick trip around town (mostly the former 2).

If I need something bigger than a Remora, than a small backpack is better.

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

15. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

False. They are great.