1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Slim satchel type EDC bag.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ParTimeBourne, Oct 22, 2016.

1. ParTimeBourne

ParTimeBourne Loaded Pockets

I want a fairly flat unstructured shoulder bag for EDC. Doesn't need a ton of organisation but some would be helpful. The Tom Bihn large cafe bag is just about perfect and I'll almost certainly get it if no one has a better suggestion. Not looking for anything with molle or velcro. Around 12 litres. Most messenger type bags will be too big for what I'm looking for.

2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Hmm, no molle or velcro hey?...that's me out on suggestions then. Interested to see what others may come up with.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you like the Bihn Cafe bags I would also look at the Waterfield line,they are similar but.......pricier/nicer just as a comparison.

4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Patagonia Minimass or Blackhole Mini Messenger (rubberized version) are 12L messengers with good organization, and compression straps (if you want keep it thin). I prefer a more horizontal bag orientation as it stands upright better and with less clumping of contents.

ParTimeBourne and 343KD like this.
  5. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

North face base camp messenger might be a good choice. They have three sizes, I have a medium sized one and its awesome. You'd probably want the small.

ParTimeBourne likes this.
  6. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

The PacSafe one are good, not at the same quality level at Tom Big, but ok on sale.

7. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I introduced PacSafe to my wife, now she has 5 bags.

8. Henriq

Henriq Loaded Pockets

Direct actions small Messenger perhaps? Molle, but laser cut and rather discreet. I have the large Cafe bag and its a good bag, but ever so floppy.

9. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

Hidden Woodsman Haversack might fit the bill. Malcolm has some new colors.

If you really want unstructured, Combat Flip Flops Claymore bag. It has a kinda cool, retro vibe.

Jean and ParTimeBourne like this.
  10. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Its the only bag I have that my daughter approves of.

ran23 likes this.
  11. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

How much do you want to spend? DEFY bags has some sleek messengers, the RECON comes to mind. Another suggestion may be the Combat Flip Flops Claymore bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 gatorfan, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  12. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

CFF Claymore was going to be my suggestion based on the OP's desire for a flat bag. Very minimalistic but still can add in organization as needed.

13. ParTimeBourne

ParTimeBourne Loaded Pockets

Really appreciate your time guys. Looking up the suggestions now.

14. Jackr

Jackr Loaded Pockets

The CFF claymore and T.B. Café bags to easily let items slip out for me. The open top pockets on the café on the inside of the main compartment let items easily slip out when the bag is lying down, so all small items had to go in the front zippered pocket. I am waiting on the First tactical small messenger bag to try out.

15. topazbullet

topazbullet Loaded Pockets

I use the Rickshaw Medium Zero, which is about 12L, made in USA (their factory is down the street from where I work), super minimalist without molle and straps hanging off of everything, and the lightest in its class! I replaced a Filson briefcase with it and haven't looked back.

16. akh_405

akh_405 Empty Pockets

Hopefully I'm not too late but I hope you still find this useful. I currently carry a Zulu Nylon Gear Indy Satchel and I think it ticks almost all of the requirements you're looking for:

"Doesn't need a ton of organisation but some would be helpful."

There is an inner pocket secured by velcro and a large loop field to attach hook-backed accessories to. I personally use one MSM's hook-backed insert to hold my powerbank and notepad. There are tons of accessories in the market utilizing the loop field to help with organization, or better yet, make one!

Not looking for anything with molle or velcro.

Nothing on the outside. But as I mentioned, there is a loop-field on the inside of the bag. The military-inspired look is quite obvious but I think it doesn't scream tactical.

Around 12 litres.

13" wide x 11" tall x 3" deep - Those are the dimensions on the website. I guess this is the only miss. On paper, it looks like it's about 7 liters or 430 cu. But as a size reference I can fit my 2011 Macbook Pro 13" (the older bulkier one) with some room to spare depth wise. With this bag, I typically carry my iPad mini, full-size headphones, 20 oz water bottle, big 10,000 mah power bank, small vanquest organizer, and a small first aid kit. If somehow you need some extra space, I've tried attaching a belt-mounted pouch meant for 2" belts and it works..although it may look a wee bit silly..

17. YoungMedic

YoungMedic Loaded Pockets

Google MVII Mask bag

[​IMG]

18. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

I've got a Mountainsmith rift that sounds like it might be similar to what you're looking for. Might be a bit too small though, listed at 9L. I can fit an iPad in, but a full 11*8 notebook sticks out the top.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets