1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Slim Alternative to Embassy Pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Thomas Pope, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Thomas Pope

Thomas Pope Loaded Pockets

I've been looking for a new EDC pen ever since it got warm enough to wear long pants. For some reason, the bullet pen that sat happily in the bottom of my shorts pockets all summer is falling out every time I sit down now.

What I'd like to do is try one with a clip, and with a big freelance check coming in, I'm not totally opposed to spending up to $100 or so if necessary (something 2 months ago I would have thought outrageous for a simple pen, curse you EDCF!). Unfortunately I can't seem to find one pen that has all of the features that I want.

The checklist of features that I want/need includes:
    • Black (preferably anodized aluminum)
    • Sturdy design
    • Pocket Clip
    • Blunt end (front pocket carry, see below)
    • Fisher Refill (optional, but preferred)
    • Slim design (under 0.5")
    I'm neutral on length, though like the bullet pen for its ability to be compact but close to full size when you put the cap on the other end. I've tried a variety of regular clip pens in my pocket and all seem to fit, so I'm fine with a fullsize.
    I like to look of some tactical pens, but don't want their pointy bits stabbing me in the thigh or poking holes in my pants when I carry in my left front pocket, and most of them are really thick. Conversely, I really like the look of the Embassy Pen in many ways, but am lukewarm on the way the cap works and find the design overall too fat for my liking.

My dream pen would be a Benchmade 1200 with a blunt end and a clip, and if they made one like that I'd buy it tomorrow. I'd probably buy it even with the current sharp end, but the lack of a clip makes it 100% useless to me, and while I like the overall design of most of their pens, the only one they make with a blunt end is also ridiculously thick.

To be honest, I'm probably going to settle for just another bullet pen with a clip, but am wondering if anyone else has found something that falls into this rather arbitrary "perfect pen" definition that I've created in my head?

2. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Check this one out. You can get a flat piece to take the place of the point from the Hinderer web sight.
    Plus you'll come in under budget!! ;)

kye4some and mbick like this.
  3. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Well, my (main?) daily driver's the Fisher Millennium (or, 2010) space pen, which has been renamed/redesignated as the Mars and now the Infinium spacepen. Points on the checklist which it doesn't meet? It's not the sturdiest, and, if you happen to drop it, it may dent. And it's not anodized aluminum. One place I've found (and shopped at) with the lowest prices for 'em is here: http://j.mp/FisherInfiniumPens_Penwa

It's a similar form factor to the bullet space pen, but a little larger diameter. What's cool (imo) is that the whole sealed pen barrel is the ink cartridge, and it supposedly has a run-out of 50 miles (iirc), which is supposed to last the average user (if they don't lose it) the rest of their lifetime. The first one I got was in '98, and what's cool is that they've got a lifetime "no questions asked" guarantee on it.

See, I liked the pen, but thought it was a good candidate for pen spinning. And one time, it dropped on its tip, and that made a nice pressurized ink mess. So I got a free replacement (minus shipping of the old pen) in 2002. I took better care of that one, but still, it did get some dings/dents in it. IIRC, something happened (maybe from a drop) where (again) the ink oozed from the tip more than usual, so around Christmas of '09, I sent it in for another replacement. Haven't had any issues with this one. Was hoping that Fisher would run outta stock of the basic chrome Millennium, though, and send a black titanium nitride Mars pen as a replacement, but oh well.

The Infinium's just the new version with a different name. The Millennium was supposed to last easily until 2000. Then the 2010 was supposed to last well after 2010. The Mars was supposed to last until humans got to Mars.

And so now, the Infinium is just supposed to convey the idea that it'll last a good long while, lol.

Otherwise, it's a pretty dependable pen, 'cuz it always writes. The only other thing you may have to decide about is whether you like a bold point (as in, it writes a thick line).

Just sharin' my pair o' Zinc Linc's, which won't even get ya an ounce of unleaded gasoline...

:cool:

4. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

5. PerfectZebra
    • In Omnia Paratus

PerfectZebra Loaded Pockets

IMWILSON nailed it!

6. k.o.milo

k.o.milo Loaded Pockets

7. Farchyld
    • In Omnia Paratus

Farchyld Loaded Pockets

+1 for Hinderer Investigator pen. You support Rick, you support Jon, you support EDCF and you get one hellova pen. My bronze pen is so awesome I just ordered the copper :)

8. Thomas Pope

Thomas Pope Loaded Pockets

Thanks to all for the replies so far. I have to admit that I'd never even considered looking at Hinderer. My default (and totally incorrect) assumption was that, like his knives (note that I've just looked at his site, this was ALSO an incorrect assumption) the pens he designed were also going to be too big, too bulky and too expensive.

I realize the problem now. I had conflated Rick Hinderer with Zero Tolerance. I see that was doing Rick a great disservice, as while the ZT line are unquestionably nice, none of them have had any appeal to me whatsoever, as they all look like boat anchors compared to the slim knives I prefer (datapoint: my current favorite knife is a Benchmade 943). What I never realized is that those were just the ones he designed for them, because the 3" XM looks like something I could grow to like, and the Flashpoint almost instantly made my "must buy someday" list!.

All that said, the Investigator is really close to what I want, and a definite consideration. I love the fact that you can get a flat tip (and the pointy tip looks less pocket shredding than others as well). The design I'm lukewarm about (I'd prefer finer knurling) but it's pretty darn close, and I'm really tempted.

As for the others, I'm stuck on the black thing right now (I like my gadgets to match, and chestnut leather with black tools is my current theme) which eliminates some otherwise nice options. The Fisher Infinium is intriguing, though so similar to a standard bullet pen or X-Mark Bullet Pen in design that I'd be tempted to just get one of those instead with a clip.

I'm thinking I might go with a "try before I buy" route in this case. Pick up both a X-Mark and a Cap-O-Matic and spend a few months rotating them through my pocket carry. That will tell me for certain that I don't hate the concept of a weak side clipped pen, and then I can spend 5 times as much on a good one that I'll carry for decades.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions so far. This has been really helpful.