1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Skip free pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by r1013, Feb 22, 2010.

1. r1013

r1013 Empty Pockets

Hello,

I recently went back to school and am looking for a decent pen that won't skip. years ago I used a Uniball that was really good and skip free but they quit making them. I bought a pack of Zebra F-301's and I liked them at first but they started skipping randomly. That's pretty irritating especially when I'm stressed taking a test and I have to continually go back over answers so there legible. lately I have been using a Zebra 301 Mech. pencil. I would rather have a pen so its darker.

I'm not looking for anything expensive, since my budget is tight. I don't mind paying 5 dollars approx. for a single pen if it will make note taking easier. Last week my hand was killing me having to rewrite things with that 301 (even after trying a new refill). Rrrrrrr!

I read through some other suggestions and I thought next time I'm at the store I might try a Sharpie pen?? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

2. nwevans

nwevans Loaded Pockets

Of all the pens I've used, the nicest, most confident line I've gotten out of a pen is the Varsity Disposable Fountain Pen. Love those pens. Better line than a $90 Namiki I had. Give them a shot. Should be able to get them at Staples or OfficeMax or wherever.

-Nathan

3. r1013

r1013 Empty Pockets

I did a search on the "Varsity Disposable Fountain Pen" and found the site below. They have the Varsity and a few others showing the writing on paper and how it looks. Kinda interesting to see what they look like. The Varsity does look skip free on the page. Ill put that in my list to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

http://thanhthan.vox.com/

4. xBlue

xBlue Empty Pockets

I know they're everywhere and nothing new, but Pilot G2 gel pens have never failed me on paper. Only cons: I've had one or two leak on me, and the ink doesn't last long. I only carry my Zebra with me because it's more durable and looks nicer.

The Sharpie pen you mentioned is okay. To me its very similar to a fine-point Sharpie.

5. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I have never had any skipping from a Uni Ball Jetstream or a Uni Ball Signo 207. The 207 is a gel ink pen akin to the Pilot G2. The Jetstream is a ballpoint pen which produces a dark line, although not as dark and rich like a gel ink. The pens boast no smearing and preventing check washing as well. You should be able to find a pack of either pens at Wal-Mart, Target, Staples, Office Max, etc.

6. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

big fan of the Fisher pens and refills here, never had one fail on me

7. r1013

r1013 Empty Pockets

Just got logged back in.

Thanks for the advice. When I get paid and go grocery shopping Friday I'll pick up a few of those suggestions to try.

8. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

pilot precise v5...buy a pack of four of them at walmart for around $5

http://www.pilotpen.us/products/rollingball/

I buy the second one down on the right side (although I do have 2 of the clicky version)...in black...thats the only pens I buy and use

9. Austinguy23

Austinguy23 Loaded Pockets

Yep, this pen will never skip and I was about to suggest it. Also, check out Zebra's Sarasa. The Sarasa is basically an improved (doesn't skip) Pilot G2.

10. mcnair55

mcnair55 Loaded Pockets

I am a big fan of Cross pens,always write nice and smooth with no skip plus my good old Waterman writes as smooth.

At the end of the day you will find the good old bic biro one of the best in the market still,write well and for miles.

11. addictedmatt

addictedmatt Loaded Pockets

I loved the sharpie pen, until it leaked all over the place...

12. r1013

r1013 Empty Pockets

I picked up a pack of "pilot precise v5" at Walmart Friday. I seen the G2's but none of the others mentioned. My Walmart might not carry them. I have a Dr's Appt. in a bigger city next month and Ill look there. So far the Precise V5 is working pretty good. It's very LIGHT, and DOESN'T skip!! NICE!! It makes me think of the pen I used to use in college that I THOUGHT they quit making. After looking at the pilot website a while I ran across it. It's the Pilot "V BALL liquid ink roller". I use to buy them at Walmart in packs of 5 back in the 90's. I remember I couldn't let them touch anything or they would empty all there ink!! Carpet, shirts, books, pants!! If I fell asleep studying with it uncapped, there was something ruined!

At least I have finally found another pen that works really well... Light and skip free!! It's not as cool looking as the zebra but to have less pain in my hands and less rewriting makes all the difference.

I appreciate the suggestions.

13. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

+1. Got a basic astro clicker that I EDC and it never fails.

14. Joe Talmadge

Joe Talmadge Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of the Pilot Precise P-700. Cheap, smooth, skip-free. Will have to try a P5/P7 one of these days.

15. JML

JML Loaded Pockets

Buy ANY pen you like that accepts a standard Parker/DIN ballpoint refill. Then go to Office Depot and buy the Foray refills in blue or black -- they're made in Switzerland, and I believe they're the same as the Monteverde Soft Roll and the Schimdt Easy Flow. The blue are incredibly smooth writing and long lasting.

The ink is a new variation on ballpoint refills. It's like a hybrid of a ballpoint and gel. Lasts far longer than the latter, and writes far smoother than the former. No smears.

16. fespo276

fespo276 Loaded Pockets

I have to go Space Pen. Some complain they can be messy, but I just never experienced that.

YA, 15 legit posts!!!

17. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised that the Zebra F-301's skipped. I've never had one do that to me.

If you want something inexpensive, the Pilot Precise V5 is probably your best bet. The Pilot Varsity fountain pens are nice and seem to hold a lot of ink, but you can't use carbonless copy paper (or regular carbon paper, for that matter) with a fountain pen, if that make a difference.

18. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

the only bad thing about the v5's is they sometimes leak...however it is easy to prevent this...take off the cap, and where the colored (black) part comes out of the clear part, put a bead of superglue along there. caps goes on with no problem after done, and you wont ever get ink on your hands...

Pilot Precise v5's are the only pens I use...I just do this little glue "mod" and have the perfect pen.

19. BCGarrick

BCGarrick BST/Marketplace ban

I had a fisher space pen, but it skips on me. I use anything by uni-ball...Good stuff!

20. GiveMeLight

GiveMeLight Loaded Pockets

Fisher Bullet (space pen). Been carrying one for for about 4-5 years now.