1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sketches and Graphics vs Notes

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by tbzbbt, Jun 4, 2019.

1. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

After following the dicussion about systems of note-taking in another thread it raised the question for me: to what extent/proportion do you illustrate you notebooks with diagrams or annotations? I'm not talking about an artist's sketchbook here, but one in which a mixed approach is adopted. Do you draw beacuse it makes sense (eg. connector pin-out); because you want to recakl a pattern (eg. travel observation of archtecture feature); or simply because doodles communcate the idea better?

Do the tools of your EDC enable this?

tbzbbt

#1 tbzbbt, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I rarely illustrate in my notebooks (probably because I'm not very good at it), but on occasion I will do a sketch because it's easier to visualize than to write a detailed description of what I need to remember.

I EDC a Rhodia Pocket Size Notebook (A7 w/ graph paper). It works well for notes and illustrations.

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I'm not a doodler or drawer either. Agree the Rhodia notebooks (all types, but I use the top staple #11 pads--A7 lined) are great. If I did anything like that at all it would relate to wiring in a guitar amp or guitar or schematic type drawings. My grand-kids literally draw better than I do.

Moshe ben David and twin63 like this.
  4. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Come to think of it, one of the last diagrams I did was of a pedalboard I was building (to make sure I had the right number and length of patch cables). Hard to make rectangles and straight lines look bad!

5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Ha! I can definitely make a straight line look bad. I pre-date effects...unless you count tremolo or reverb on the amp, but will admit to owning a few. If I'm playing guitars with humbuckers, my main effect is the cable, but I'll use a booster or Klon clone or tubescreamer type OD with the Tele or Strat. Fenders seem to benefit from them, but Gibsons or humbuckers are like Jameson...better straight...:)

6. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Ok since we’ve taken the discussion that direction, do you note effect settings, song ideas, chord progression in your notes? I have lots of tab printouts but I keep music notes like scales and chord tones in an A5 Rhodia. It helps me sort out my Mixolydian from the Dorian...

tbzbbt

7. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I do occasional diagrams if it makes sense for a project or task I am planning. I keep a couple of small rulers in the back pocket of my journal in case I need to make a straight line, but I usually just freehand it. In my laptop bag, I have some colored markers (blue, red, green) and a couple of highlighters (orange, blue).

Moshe ben David and twin63 like this.
  8. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

More like lyrics for me.

9. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I haven't played in a band for a while, but when I did I kept a pocket notebook (Field Notes or similar) for listing effects settings and song details. The set list changed quite a bit. I was younger then and not as forgetful, but it still helped to have things jotted down for a last minute reference.

Tesla and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

i sketch occasionally but am more likely to draw a time ladder for more densely packed days

11. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

I am a birder so I tend to do a little of both. I am a horrible sketcher but even some curved lines can help me ID something later when I have reference books. On a dedicated birding day , I even have a special notebook. These get used to keep track of your known sightings and other info.

12. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I like to take notes in whatever way is most efficient. I rarely write paragraphs and usually do bullet points and/or an outline.

If a concept can quickly be represented with a picture (and in my line of work they often can), I will do that.

qvxb and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I do tend to use some sketches, usually in the form of diagrams and tables, in my notebooks where I think that they help amplify the notes. This is one reason I like the moleskine notebooks with the squares. The squares facilitate drawing tables or trying to do diagrams to scale.

Moshe ben David and tbzbbt like this.