1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Skeletool VS wingman VS sidekick

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by TOPOS, Jun 21, 2016.

?

Skeletool VS wingman VS sidekick

1. skeletool

62.5%
  2. wingman

25.0%
  3. sidekick

6.3%
  4. Other (at similar price point and size)

6.3%
  1. TOPOS

TOPOS Loaded Pockets

i've had a sidekick for the past year or so, and ive come to the conclusion that the sidekick is way inferior to the skeletool. while the sidekick has more tools (blade, saw, file, s.blade, can opener, two screwdrivers) than the skeletool, (blade, bottle opener, bit driver) the s. blade, can opener, and file are useless. the serrated blade is too small and annoying to open for me to ever use it, I've only once had to use the can opener, and the file is too small for any real use. YMMV, but i feel like the skeletool is a far better option.

2. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

I dealt with all 3 and out of those 3 I ONLY own/carry the Skeletool CS. Well I do have the original LM Wave in my backpack.

Wingman I messed with during a training course in GA for I needed it for something. Notice one of the instructors had it in his back-pocket and let me borrow it. Impression: I like the spring load feature but aside from that still a tad heavy and quality no where near what I get from the Wave.

Sidekick - brings me back to when the multi-tool first came out. Very vanilla and not a good grip/feel when using it as pliers.

Why I love the Skeletool so much?
    Well it's a great bare-bones design that offers all the "common tools" one would need and not all the tools that I see many trying to justify carrying day in and day out.

All I need daily is pliers, knife, screwdriver. I get all that and the only extras is the bits, the bit driver, and the ability to use the carabiner as a bottle-opener and the carabiner itself. I don't need a corkscrew, I don't need a can opener, and besides usually with this tool I have my SAK Trekker on the left that has all the extras that I hardly ever need (cork screw aside) but when I need it then I have it. But in the end if I could only carry one of the two it would ALWAYS be my Skeletool.

If you need a cork screw, saw, and so on there are better portable tools that supply that. Saws, there are some awesome folding saws in Home Depot. Cork Screws, the ones commonly used by waiters or fancier places are way better than the ones on SAK and the smaller LM's. I could go on and on about this. Just get the Skeletool CS. To hell with serrations.

Last edited by speedy, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Super04Duty

Super04Duty Loaded Pockets

I have all 3. The Skeletool is the only one I EDC. the sidekick stays in my EDC backpack. and my wingman, i sometimes use in lieu of my skeletrool ifi know ill need a few other options. Fiking to get the skeletool RX soon... i want the more heavily serrated blade for my new like of work. but without a doubt, the Skeletool, is my favorite.

4. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

Yeah. I agree with the above. Skeletool is a great concept and lends to be carried more than the others. Lightweight essentials.

The Wingman gets points for me for having better scissors than most pocket tools and the small bladed package opener. For those two reasons I'll keep it around.

5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking about buying a Wingman for a little gun bag that I'm putting together. Basically, it's an old Maxped Verispack of mine that I've attached a double AR mag shingle too. I'm not sure why I'm making this bag, but I have nothing else to do with my life and an abundance of man/tactical/edc crap.

volvoboy and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. CIVSD

CIVSD Loaded Pockets

I loved my Skeletool but I gave it to one of my friends when I decided to start carrying my MUT on me instead. I try to give my friends hand-me-downs to upgrade and encourage them to EDC.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  7. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I have owned all 3, and they each have their own pros and cons. My biggest con with all 3 is that I am mainly a minimalist and hate carrying large bulky items in my pockets. The skeletool was really good in theory IMO, but I didn't like the carabineer design and lack of an ability to carry extra screwdriver bits, and for the size, it just ended up being something that I kept carrying in my backpack and wasn't worth replacing the tool set of my Wave. The Wingman and Sidekick are hands down the best "low end" medium-to-full size multitools on the market. They have locking blades, are built extremely well, and are backed by a 25 year warranty. I remember when they were first introduced and you could pick them up for less than $20, which is an absolute steal. I actually bought a couple of each around Christmas time a few years back for like $15 a piece at Home Depot, and then sold them on Ebay for like $30 a piece.

8. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Loaded Pockets

Bit driver makes the Skeletool a win for me. Like others, I do not require many of the other tools like can openers. Being able to have two bits and customize which bits are available is a great thing. Also you can carry extra bits in a pill fob or something similar.