1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Skeletool CX?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by MackNJ, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Bigdaddyrooster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bigdaddyrooster Loaded Pockets

I love my skeletool, but be careful closing it, the pinch will get ya

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

2. TangoSixFive

TangoSixFive Loaded Pockets

i'm seriously considering a Skeletool CX, but the stories about the weak pliers is holding me off. The store I am about to get it from lists the SKU as 830850. I plan to use it for EDC, primarily for the knife. However I don't want to have the pliers fail on me in an emergency situation.

Should I go for it? Or should I look at other multitools?

edit: sorry for bringing this post back up, I didn't realize it was 2013!

3. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have never had a break on mine or any Leatherman for that matter. I don't beat them to death but they have seen some use.

TangoSixFive likes this.
  4. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

im planning to order one soon as well im such a huge fan of the design but the price these days seems unreasonable since its limited these days. I already carry a knife on me so if the Skeletool CX was a bigger version of the Style PS I think I would be set. Of course it would need the driver ability but add in the scissors in place of the knife it would be my perfect multitool. The issue I think people have with multi tools is that we carry many other things that take place of multitool tools. I dont think many feel comfortable with having only a multitool on them.

5. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

It's a great "just what you need and nothing you don't" MT for most tasks for which you'd use a MT in the first place. It's definitely not a portable toolbox like some models, and I wish it had spring-loaded pliers, but otherwise it's fantastic. Grab a Style CS(for the scissors) or a Style PS(smaller pliers) as a companion and you'll be really set. I'd grab the bit kit and bit extender and keep them handy(car, bag, etc).

6. TangoSixFive

my Skeletool CX just arrived and boy is it sexy! This is my first Leatherman and I can tell we're going to have fun times ahead of us. :-P

7. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Seems like I am in the minority here. I purchased a Skeletool, used it, binned it. Complete rubbish. Bad ergonomics, poor knife steel, very limited choice of tools. If you want a good, reasonably priced, light tool buy a Wingman.

8. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I'd point out that the Skeletool CX, which the OP is asking about, has a much, much better steel (154CM) than the Wingman or base model Skeletool.

9. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

The blade steel on the Wingman is not bad. My experience is that it is easy to sharpen and retains its edge for a reasonable time. 154CM is a nice steel, but it's not so far ahead of the 420J used on the Wingman (and Leatherman seem to have really got the measure of tempering 420J properly) that I would consider paying the inflated price that a CX comes at, particually for a working tool.

10. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

So you're telling me the Wingman's 420HC(per LM's website) is different from and superior to the regular Skeletool's 420HC? I am confused. :D
    Also, the ergonomics and tool selection are both highly subjective, especially ergos. I personally like the Skeletool's tool selection because it's pared down to what you need most of the time. Comparing to the Wingman, the WM doesn't have that many more tools, and I don't really need a can opener or a file. Also the drivers are three separate but unchanging tools, where on the Skeletool you get a bit driver that's definitely more flexible. But as always YMMV, and the Wingman isn't a bad tool by any means. For me it comes down to wanting a MT that doesn't have extraneous tools so as to save on weight and space, and if I needed the other tools I'd have a better one elsewhere, especially the scissors.
    The key thing for ergos is to handle both and decide if one of them is so good or so bad for you personally that it wins or loses right there. I've handled knives that, while nice, just don't fit my hand in a way that I like, so no thanks.

11. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I like the concept of the Skeletool (CX) but for me it sits in the middle of my two primary Leatherman tools, the Juice S2 and the Charge TTi. If I want a portable, light and capable multitool I just clip my Juice to my belt or throw it in a pocket. That way I have a decent pair of pliers, a pair of scissors and a decent but short knife. If I need something bigger I go for the Charge, sure it's 110 g heavier but it is also more capable than the Skeletool. As such I'm in no hurry to get the Skeletool even though I really like it.

12. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

The Skeletool packs slim and light while few other multitools can. The inclusion of a carabiner and a pocket clip make it an easy guess that this is a hiking, biking, climbing tool. If you are camping and fishing from the back of a truck, there are more appropriate tools.

13. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

I just bought one last night from leatherman. 7$ more I had my name engraved on it. awesome. Ill switch to a wave probably soon or even a surge but I think the design is so :censored: cool.

14. Silvaticus

Silvaticus Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying one for eight years straight now, it's in my pocket every day. I love it - it's much lighter than my previous MT (LM Wave), and does everything I want and need it to do. Love the ever-ready bottle opener (which I seem to need a lot ;)), and love the 154CM blade that is quickly deployed when needed. Had no problems with the pliers and the bit driver yet - worked fine whenever I needed them. And, you gotta admit - it looks darn cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

adnj likes this.
  15. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

i didnt know it could come with the combo edge. mine arrived today from leatherman engraved with a plain edge. its actually the reason I chose the cx over the regular. had I have known I would have gone with the other and changed the blade type

16. TangoSixFive

Skeletools before June 2009 had the blades swapped - regular stainless had plain edge and CX had combo edge.

I would have preferred the stainless look with a plain edge before, but now I'm glad the CX model now has a plain edge. I hate combo blades. :)

Last edited by TangoSixFive, Apr 23, 2016
  17. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I've got one, and I've broken the pliers on it.
    It was replaced by Leatherman though, so I'm not too fussed, the great customer service is one of my reasons for using them.
    It's a great little multi-tool, and worth having, especially in the CX, the better blade steel is a nice upgrade.

18. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

Im the same, I cant stand combo edges. I like the idea of the surge where it has one of each but not both on one blade

19. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

The combo edge for cutting fishing line and rope is the reason that I like the CX. I never carry one without another knife that is usually more than 3.5 inches.

20. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a Skeletool, in fact I just got mine back from Leatherman's warranty department (over travel on linerlock and damage on wire cutters, which was my fault). Mine's the standard one with a combo edge 420HC blade. I find that it's a fantastic tool for what it is. If you expect it to be a hard - use tool you'll be sorely disappointed. It's not meant to be a bunch of tools with a blade as a bonus. It's meant, IMHO, to be a knife with a few extra commonly used tools as a bonus. In that sense, I see it as less of a pair of pliers and more as a replacement for a Swiss Army knife. If you treat it as such, you shouldn't have a problem with durability. Just don't try to cut thin hard steel wire with the normal cutters cuz you can't reach the wire with the hard wire notch (that's what I did, and I damaged the cutters like I knew I would).
    The blade steel is fine as a user steel. It's not the best in the world- it's not super hard and wear resistant, nor is it extremely rust resistant or insanely tough. But for a blade that's used by someone that knows how to sharpen a knife quickly and often with a close to hand tool, it's good. The heat treat is very good. I do wish that Leatherman had left the serrations off both models or at least offered both with the user's choice of edge. I prefer plain edges, and the 420HC model would be much easier to keep sharp in the field (as it were) if you didn't have to deal with serrations.

Oh, and for the record the blade steel on the Wingman is the same stuff as on the standard Skeletool and the rest of Leatherman's standard line. It's all 420HC.

adnj likes this.