1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Skeletool CX?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by MackNJ, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MackNJ

MackNJ Loaded Pockets

Anyone have one of these? I used to carry a swiss army knife, but I completely forgot to leave it at home before I got to the airport and it is no more. Looking to upgrade to something a little more substantial while not having a huge heavy tool in my pocket.

Is this thing as solid as it looks? Mind you, I'm an accountant in NJ so I'm not doing anything heavy duty on a daily basis, just run of the mill everyday tasks I come across. I'm thinking of also pulling the trigger on a Charge TTi as the larger tool to just have around the house.

2. coolerking

coolerking Loaded Pockets

I have the skeletool, it is a great comfy tool to hold and use. It's not let me down yet, it seems to be just as solid as my wave. If your using the pliers, it sits in your handy comfort than my wave does. I'd say get it. ;)

3. Kones

Kones Loaded Pockets

I find that for debit, the Skeletool CX works well, but for credits... well, that's better for the Charge TTi...

In all seriousness, the CX is pretty light compared to the Charge. It's pretty solid. I had one for a while, but found that given I usually carry a dedicated pocket knife, the Skeletool in general didn't offer enough benefit to carry as well. If it's the only one you want to carry, then maybe.

I did just et the Charge TTi, and think it's just amazing, though I don't carry it in my pocket, just in my EDC case in my bag.

4. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

Skeletool CX is a very nice tool. It doesn't have the number of tools that most Swiss army knives have, but it has better blade and better pliers, so if you are mostly interested on those two, it's a great choice. Charge TTi is a more "serious" tool, more heavy duty, sturdier and with much better blade and pliers than the Skeletool, but it's also heavier and thicker.

So, from what you say, Skeletool looks like a better choice for you than the Charge, if you also add a small Victorinox classic on your keys (mostly for scissors and tweezers) I think you 'll have most bases covered.

5. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry one as my main MT - pliers and screwdrivers are what I really need as an EDC MT so it works great for me. The carbon fiber insert and 154cm PE blade make it worth the upgrade over the standard Skeletool.

For an MT with more options I really like the Victorinox models - IMO hands down better than any Leatherman I've owned in terms of fit and finish and ease of use.

6. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I have a gold plated skeletool and I really like it.

I had buyers remorse as soon as I ordered it a month or so ago but I quickly overcame that once it was delivered. I carry it along with a Micra and my day-day tasks are getting done nicely. I like the pocket clip too. Skeletool in the right front pocket and micra in the little watch pocket.You should be very happy with the Skeletool if you choose to get one....and if you can get a Micra too.

goosefacer likes this.
  7. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

I carried one for about 6 months, it is a decent tool, not great for heavy pliers use as the handles cut and dig a bit. I have decided I prefer a vintage original leatherman PST for the same weight, when I want to carry something lighter than my Wave.

8. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Skeletool CX is just about the perfect mt. Everything you need, nothin you don't.

9. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

You can't post about a gold-plated MT and NOT post pics!!

microbe, Kones and OreoGaborio like this.
  10. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I know. I couldn't get them from Picassa. User error. PM me an email and I can send you pics.

goosefacer likes this.
  11. Kones

Kones Loaded Pockets

Except for a serrated blade... That was my issue

12. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

You should be able to find one without the serrations. part number 830963

13. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

Serrations were the early model. A few years later, they swapped the CX and the normal Skeletool. The normal now has the serrated and the CX has the PE.

14. CrazyHighVoltage

CrazyHighVoltage Loaded Pockets

i recently bought a second hand one (CHEAP:D) that is like new and i realy like it and if all u need is a knife pliers and the ocasional screwdriver it rocks.

15. MackNJ

MackNJ Loaded Pockets

I got the Skeletool CX and it's perfect for what I need. Feels solid and has a good weight.

I also grabbed a Wingman for $20. What a piece of crap.

Flying Dutchman likes this.
  16. kembativz

kembativz Loaded Pockets

I've got both a skeletool CX and a Charge Tti. I love the TTI, but pretty hard to carry in summer in shorts. In winter, its alright clipped into jeans. The skeletool is fantastic - light enough to carry everywhere and has all the important stuff. And for us here down under, we can't carry a straight knife, so the Skeletool makes a good compromise...

17. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

The Skeletool CX is a great tool. It's like having a good tactical folder, with a nice bit driver, opener, biner, and pliers as a bonus. It's getting some serious pocket time from me. The fit and finish is much better than on most of my Leathermans, and the heat treat on the blade is surprisingly good. The tool is light enough for pocket carry in lightweight shorts, which will be awesome come summertime. Every multitool should have a pocket clip, like the Skeletool does.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

--
    sent via carrier pigeon from my secret hideout

lisantica likes this.
  18. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

Oh wow... it's not much bigger than a Style CS/PS... nice.

I was considering one of these a while back but decided I don't use my Wingman (which I actually like. lol) enough to justify it.

Edit: I hate this thread cuz now I'm considering it again. Lol. Imma have to sell some of the stuff I don't use now. :rofl:

19. Ibrahim Sarp Dogan

Ibrahim Sarp Dogan Loaded Pockets

Skeletool CX is a perfect edc tool, razor sharp knife, classy pliers, bit support and bottle opener and carabiner as a bonus. What else would you need ? Maybe scissors or saw, but how many times you need them till now ?

Support it with a bit-kit, it will serve you perfectly on your daily life.

20. kembativz

kembativz Loaded Pockets

The only issue I have with it is that it looks a lot more like a pocket knife than your normal leatherman. With the laws in QLD Australia, the less something looks like a dedicated knife, the better. Its a shame, because the thing which makes the Skeletool awesome, is also the thing that makes the skeletool more of a liability.