1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Size opinions, please.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Coolz, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Coolz

Coolz Loaded Pockets

One of the main reasons why I did the OP is due to a couple of my buddies and their comments, similar to: If it doesn't "fit" you, you won't be apt to carry it. And if you don't carry it, it's absolutely useless when you need it. This is why I've asked about the difference in single and double stacks, specifically. Thanks for your input!

I actually had a CM9 in my hand yesterday, and it seemed very nice, so I can imagine that the PM9 is pretty slick.

2. Coolz

Coolz Loaded Pockets

HybridMomentsPass, point taken. I get what you are saying - it's a big step going from taking advice for the less lethal EDC items (lights, tools, etc.) to handguns. I'm just doing my best with what I have to work with.

3. rbarrett87

rbarrett87 Loaded Pockets

In my personal experience I found it's all about the holster and belt when it comes to carrying with comfort. When it comes to the gun, go with what you feel you are most comfortable with. I carry a sig 229... Not the most compact, lightest, most thin gun out there but I love it and with the right holster and belt, It is very comfortable. Good luck on your search.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

4. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

The reality is that you CAN conceal ANYTHING, if you want to bad enough. I tend to fall into the "big gun is easier to shoot, so I'll sacrifice and carry it" camp, while many others fall into the "I can't carry big gun, so small gun is better than nothing" camp. You have to find your own balance. I would say people like me who carry full sized 1911s, and Glocks are in the first camp. The LCPers, Kel-Tec People are in the second. A full sized Kahr, the S&W Shield, XDs are in between.

5. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

That's good advice. I have been guilty of this in the past. My first carry gun was stainless a Para Carry .45 .. it was small but heavy. Because it was so heavy, I carried my Keltec P3AT all the time. I realized that was dumb and liked the .45 round so I sold the Para and bought the PM45. Much lighter and I carried it more than I did with the Para. I wanted something bigger than the .380 for summer so I sold it for the CM9. I'm happy with my choices. It took me a while, but I found what works for me. Both pistols have extended magazines for IWB carry and flush mags for when I want to pocket them. I like the versatility. Both fit in the Remora and Crossbreed holsters I have too so yay.

CM9 is a great little pistol. I tried out a PM9 but couldn't justify to myself the higher cost. I like the smooth trigger on the Kahr and it fit my hand well. The mag button is in a good spot so I don't have to break my grip to eject the magazine. There are no external safeties to diddle with and it's pretty trim. The trigger reset could be better though. The Ruger is a good choice too but the trigger is sooo long to get that hammer going. If you can find one (very high in demand right now) check out the M&P Shield. I've heard a ton of good things about it.

Coolz and Gnarly like this.
  6. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

Expect to be doing some of this. I've met precious few people who bought their first pistol, and never tried something else. A Kahr 9mm or Shield is a good place to start. From there you can either adjust up or down in size.

Coolz, D50boy and Gnarly like this.
  7. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

Good stuff from Idaho Gunslinger. A sturdy belt and a quality holster can do wonders even for a large pistol.

Gnarly, Coolz and Idaho Gunslinger like this.
  8. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

It is so difficult to answer these types of questions because so many personal factors come into play. I'll skip most of those and say CC can be gear and clothing dependent regardless of gun carried. I am getting close to 20 years of carrying a defensive weapon, everything from full size, Govt. Model 1911's to sub-com G29, J frame Smith's, even a short stint at IWB'ing a N frame .41 Mag.

With a stiff, purpose designed gunbelt, quailty CC holster, well thought out dress and placement, any gun is conceilable. You may not be comfortable, but the gun of choice can be hidden. Myself, I choose combat sized guns to carry. The popular micro guns are for BUG's to me and don't fit my primary role for CC. Daily I carry a G23 in an AIWB rig with at minimum 2 extra magazines. To quote an infamous firearms trainer: "CCW is meant to be comforting, not comfortable." - Clint Smith

Gnarly, TARFU and Coolz like this.
  9. countrystyle4life

countrystyle4life Loaded Pockets

I have two main carry guns in rotation. One is a Glock 19 with a Streamlight TLR-1 and a Kahr CM9. I prefer my Glock and often carry it when wearing jeans or what might be "heavier" cloths. I carry the Kahr in shorts and my dress cloths due to them being fit to me they print easier. just my two cents

Gnarly and Coolz like this.
  10. Coolz

Coolz Loaded Pockets

After much deliberation… I ended up getting very good deal on a used Sig P290 w/extended mag and laser. It's a bit heavier than I initially wanted, but it carries nice even with a crappy holster. I appreciate and value all of your input, I loved seeing all of your different opinions on this topic. Now I'm looking for a used Crossbreed to fit it, and if I can't dig one up I will order one.

11. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Did anyone think to warn him to buy a rubbermaid tub for all the holsters he isn't going to like?

Gnarly likes this.
  12. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

You got a good gun, I wouldn't waste your time with a laser. They are hassles burn through batteries and add weight and size to the overall carry. I always tell people train with the gun as it sits and then mess with lasers. I have never found a good one yet and have tried quite a few different ones. Try looking at Whitehat Holster they are close to Crossbreed style at around 15-20 less and have a great option of removable kydex which makes them a big plus if you later sale the gun you can just replace the kydex without having to get whole new holster. Also not sure if they make one for you gun but check out Harwell I love my clip and go it fits and rides great everywhere from 12 to 5 o'clock carrying. Also get yourself a good belt you would be surprised how much it will help. Check out Tennessee holster company for them there heavy leather belt is an awesome belt for the money I have two of them they are great and you don't need a super thick belt for a compact gun like you have.

Coolz likes this.
  13. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

Double post some how :( sorry

Last edited by Fate0n3, Nov 23, 2012
  14. blunto

blunto Loaded Pockets

Yeah, no joke. I have a whole drawer full of holsters. If you find one you like on attempt #1, you are a fortunate man.

Gnarly likes this.
  15. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

I would tend to disagree on the laser part. It's a pretty good visual indicator of trigger control. That said, the only ones I've ever liked have been the Crimson Trace models. I don't personally use one but I have seen their benefits as a training aid. I do agree that a person should practice as though it will fail when they need it and have a plan 'B' ready to go.

I sometimes find myself liking multiple holsters for the same gun depending on how deeply concealed I need it to be on a given occasion. Though I have yet to find a good pocket holster for a KelTec P32. Been considering designing one and going to a holster maker.

Coolz likes this.
  16. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Now spend some money on a quality holster, belt, and mag carrier. You thought there were a lot of choices when you were looking for a gun? Wait till you start holster shopping.

Give him time, he'll have 27 bags like the rest of us to dump that stuff in.

Coolz and nw1911guy like this.
  17. blunto

blunto Loaded Pockets

For sure. I have an "in the car" holster, an "in the waistband" holster, an "on the shoulder" holster for more than one gun. You certainly need the right tool for the job. He doesn't know what he is in for. Might need a second job.

Coolz likes this.
  18. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

lmao so true.

Coolz likes this.
  19. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Handgun rule of thumb, one pistol = six holsters...
    At least.

Coolz likes this.
  20. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Many ranges (especially those at gun shops) will let you "Rent" all models in a single caliber. A great way to try them out.

For a holster, expect to spent $50-60 for your first one, after a while you may decide on a manner to carry other than that, but don't cheap out. Do your research and find what will work best for you and your climate. Mainly I use a Blackhawk Sherpa Sport paddle, when it is cool enough to always wear a outer shirt. YMMV. I have a bin full of holsters I have graduated from. IMO Stay away from the soft IWB holsters, you should be able to holster one handed.

If you choose a mainstream sidearm, you will have an easier time finding holsters for it.

Coolz likes this.