1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Size opinions, please.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Coolz, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Coolz

Coolz Loaded Pockets

Hi folks,

My CPL is in the mail... so in the next week or so I will be purchasing my first pistol. I have a ton of questions, some of them answered here and on other forums, but I would like your opinion on one topic in particular:

How much different is carrying a 9mm compact with a single stack (like a Kahr PM9) and a double stack (like your typical compact Glock)?

I was completely sold on getting a lightweight single stack as my first pistol, simply because I figured that they are thinner and typically lighter, meaning I would be more apt to carry it. Then, I went to Gander Mountain (yeah, hey I'm new at this) and one of the gentlemen "enlightened" me, so to speak, of the differences in carrying the two types. After handling them (not firing them), I have to say the difference doesn't seem as drastic as I thought it would be.

I appreciate any input.

- Coolz

2. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

Shoot anything you might want to carry before you buy it. Make sure you're comfortable with it. No advice we can give will tell you what you're most comfortable with.

ac7ss, kd7dvd and Gnarly like this.
  3. Coolz

Coolz Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reply. I totally get what you are saying, and I will absolutely get some range time in with my final choices. I'm more interested in the carry of the two types right now. Like, is the weight difference a big deal to you, personally? How about the width difference, which seems to be the differentiating factor with the single v double mags... That type of thing.

- Coolz

4. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

Width difference probably won't really matter, honestly, unless you're a pretty darn skinny person. I'm 5'11" and about 160, lean, and carry a S&W M&P .40c, which is a double-stack. I carry about 4:30 in a CrossBreed Supertuck. I usually do cargos and a tucked polo to work and I've been made very, very few times. Usually when I just didn't care. I know a guy who was a little bigger than me, maybe 6'1" and 170 or so, who carried a full-frame Desert Eagle in .50AE, concealed. He dressed a little weird, but he pulled it off. You can conceal anything you want, really.

Coolz likes this.
  5. surefire7

surefire7 Loaded Pockets

For me, the weight difference is a factor. The guns themselves will have a weight difference but even more so when loaded (obviously due to the number of rounds).

Valpo Hawkeye and Coolz like this.
  6. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

A lot of what your asking depends on your body's frame. For a larger guy a double stack is not hard to conceal neither is a full size 1911 sometimes. For weight I wouldn't worry too much about that honestly get yourself a good gun belt and be done with it. I mainly say this stating even a 1911 can be very easy to carry with a belt that will hold it where it should and not sag with it. A lot of what makes the world of difference is the holster, Depending on how you are wanting to carry might decide double or single. I carry IWB so you would want your gun to be as slim as possible. Give us some examples of carry guns you are looking.?. If you are worried about not having enough ammo with a single stack carry another mag with you. Are you limiting yourself to 9mm?

7. Coolz

Coolz Loaded Pockets

I'm 6' even, about 180 lbs of computer dork, so not in awesome shape. The one thing I have decided on is I want a 9mm, so yeah, that's a limiting factor. I do plan to carry IWB, I can't imagine any other way given my dimensions.

The guns I really like, but haven't yet fired, are: Kahr PM9, Ruger LC9 (mostly because of price), Glock 26, S&W M&P (several models).

8. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

It can make a big difference, or no difference at all. It all depends on clothing type, the quality and type of chosen holsters, the belt quality, how tight you like your clothing, etc. If you have a setup that is less than ideal for you, the difference in thicknesses and weight will make a big difference, but if you have a good setup that matches you, you should be able to carry mostly anything.

You really have to try out different holsters and see how they conform to you, as well as different clothing styles.

Also, be sure to note the different sizes of guns that use double stack mags. Comparing something like a Glock 17 or a Ruger SR9 to a Glock 26 or SR9C (compact model) can show you the differences in size that could make a big difference.

My advice would to be do as I already mentioned, and try out multiple holsters and belts to see how they fit, and if you know any buddies that are willing to let you see how a certain gun fits in the holster, go for it!

sx7

9. Coolz

Coolz Loaded Pockets

Thank you, good advice. Now to look into holsters *sigh*, holy crap I'm never going to get any work done today - LOL

Sniperx7 likes this.
  10. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

I like thin. Mostly because it is easier for me to shoot than anything else. Therefore I personally would choose the Kahr. However, a Glock 19 is perfectly concealable. Base your choice off what you shoot best, then figure out how to carry it. There is always a way.

nw1911guy, Gnarly and Coolz like this.
  11. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

Def check out the M&P Shield for a 9mm and if you would want to step out of the 9mm zone try the Springfield XDs. I love my XDs

Coolz likes this.
  12. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

I have found bulk matters greatly, for me. Biggest factor is grip length, followed closely by width. Too much of either makes it both uncomfortable and quick to print. Weight and barrel/slide length seem to matter less, although a double stack XD is certainly too heavy in my book.

Coolz likes this.
  13. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

Good luck getting your hands on one though. From what I've heard they're pretty scarce.

14. Coolz

Coolz Loaded Pockets

M&P Shield looks like a nice option, will check it out. Thanks!

15. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

You are def right both are very hard to find. Some people have just lucked in and called there LGS and them have them. If you are like me and your LGS do not or you do not like doing business check out Gunbroker.

Shield is an awesome gun I wouldn't look any further. Built from the ground up to be CC.

Coolz likes this.
  16. HybridMomentsPass

try guns out. Its been said already, but needs to be said more.
    Taking advice like this from the internet sounds like a bad idea.
    Everyone is different and has different tastes/comforts.

Also, holster is super important, how you want to carry it and where.
    Personally I have a LCP cause its super small and light and fits nicely into my front or rear pockets on jeans. I dont have to worry about it on my hip and such, which I hate.

Coolz likes this.
  17. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Loaded Pockets

Ruger LC9 is a fine lil pistol. Very reliable, accurate enough. That being said I ccw a SIG 229, but the Ruger is in the rotation.

Coolz likes this.
  18. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

As with anything, there is always a compromise. Size vs. round count. Having carried for 10 years, I'd say go with what you can personally conceal. Thinner is always better for concealment in many people’s opinions. Looking at a pistol side by side, the slight size difference won't be much.... but on your hip or in your pocket there will be a big difference. Go with what you like, but be sure you're able to keep it concealed. My recommendation is the thin single stack for a carry gun. Carry a spare mag if you need more rounds.

I personally have two guns for my main carry. Both Kahrs- CM9 (less expensive PM9 and is awesome) and a PM45. The 9mm is for my pocket & summertime while my PM45 is for winter when I have more clothing to conceal it. Both are single stacks and near the same size, but that 45 feels huge when concealed compared to the 9mm. I couldn’t imagine a Glock

Gnarly and Coolz like this.
  19. Coolz

Coolz Loaded Pockets

Agreed, but we all do it (we are here, right?). It's curiosity more than guidance. I don't hang with a lot of CCW carriers, so it's nice to get varied opinions. I do appreciate the opinions.

20. HybridMomentsPass

I agree, youre right. But, in my opinion, guns are a bit different than "looking for a AAA light that has good output" or something.
    Example - I know people that swear by Glocks. And when i hold them I think, "yes, this is nice" but then I shoot them and think, "yep, this is terrible"
    I hate shooting glocks. I do not think that they are comfortable and my grouping sucks with them.
    Others love them and shoot them really well. Me, Im better with a heavier weapon (beretta, for example)

Its all opinion and guns are too pricey to do a trial and error with. We aint talking 30-50$ leathermans/gerbers here.

Hang at a local range, make friends with those dudes and try things out, including holsters.

Gnarly likes this.