1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sitka (modem burner!)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by LUW, Jun 1, 2010.

1. M24shooter

M24shooter Loaded Pockets

It is a slightly smaller Sitka: the Noatak has a main compartment that is 11x7x4, while the Sitka is 15x8x3.

2. Steverino

Steverino Loaded Pockets

nice review... I was considering the Sitka.. wound up with the Sabercat.

3. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

For me at least, though it does mess with the balance, it's nothing that makes the bag uncomfortable. But I'm sure that a water bladder would be better.

4. mct453

mct453 Loaded Pockets

I love this forum.This is the kind of review that helps so much when you can't actually put your hands on somthing before you buy.

5. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

Cool!
    I'm glad it was of use!

6. alanb

alanb Loaded Pockets

Awesome review! Thanks!

AJ

7. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

Thanks AJ! :)

8. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

The Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger is a top quality product from Maxpedition. If you are looking for a rugged, well designed, extremely strong and durable Gearslinger then look no further than Maxpedition. They offer lots of gear that is some of the best and most durable around.

I recently upgraded from the Remora to the Lunada and now the Sitka. I use the Sitka regularly as my Every Day Carry (EDC) bag and I think I have finally found the perfect bag for me. It holds approximately 618 cubic inches of gear. That is a lot of space to carry your daily essentials. The shoulder strap is designed for left shoulder carry only and it comes with a cross strap for added stability (the cross strap can be tucked away if you choose not to use it). The shoulder strap is heavily padded and very comfortable, much more so than the Remora or Lunada. The cross strap is very useful if you pack your Sitka full of gear as it will securely hold it in place. The cross strap is also beneficial to reduce shoulder fatigue if your load is heavy. The buckle on the cross strap has a built in whistle that is very functional. The side of the pack which rests on your back is heavily padded and very comfortable. A unique feature of the Sitka is that you can get to your gear by simply rotating the pack towards the front of the body without having to take it off. This is a very slick feature. It also comes with top and side handles for carrying.

The Sitka has the following:
    - Large main compartment (15" high x 8" wide x 3" thick with internal organization),
    - Front upper pocket (4" high x 7.5" wide x 2" thick with internal organization),
    - Front lower pocket (8" high x 7.5" wide x 2" thick with internal organization),
    - slip pocket with an anti-theft device,
    - Side water bottle holder capable of holding a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle,
    - Hydration area capable of holding a 100 oz. bladder or CCW gear. CCW gear can also be attached inside the main compartment.

The front of the shoulder strap that rests on your chest also has PALS attachments for attaching sheaths for such items as a flashlight or multi-tool. It is amazing how much gear you can stuff into the Sitka Gearslinger. In addition you can add optional gear using the PALS attachments. In my opinion the Sitka Gearslinger is about the biggest size one should get when dealing with a single strap pack. Maxpedition does make a larger version called the Kodiak which holds 1100 cubic inches but I think it might be a little too big to comfortable wear on a single shoulder. If you need a larger pack than the Sitka I would recommend moving to a backpack such as Maxpeditions Pygmy Falcon-II which holds 1400 cubic inches (I have a review on that backpack on Amazon).

The Sitka Gearslinger is a well designed and well thought out pack which works great for everyday carry (EDC), hiking, minimalist overnight camping, or for use when attending sporting events. Maxpedition only makes high quality gear and you won't be disappointed. I highly recommend the Sitka Gearslinger.

9. HaroldB

HaroldB Loaded Pockets

I EDC my Sitka also, holds all my BOB/GHB gear. As for the knife I choose a Falkniven A1, it can do skinning work or chop down a tree - SUPER tough knife.

10. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

awesome reviews/pics/details! this stuff is what makes EDCF so great!

11. 777

777 Empty Pockets

^seconded!

12. asolo

asolo Empty Pockets

Great bag! You have sold me on the sitka based on your review. I have a PFII but might sell it. Thanks

13. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

Thanks solocanoe!
    I'm VERY happy with the bag, and so far it has served me perfectly. I couldn't imagine it would be such a great bag for what I need.

14. louiebob

louiebob BST/Marketplace ban

Fantastic review!!!! Best I've seen yet! I love my Sitka too. I did the same thing... bought the jumbo and ended up with the Sitka after some issues. Couldn't be happier.

15. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

I'm doing the same, I been using the fatboy but have had the same issues.............Sitka will be mine soon
    Now how about those pics wearing the pack

16. boarderx

boarderx Loaded Pockets

Is the Fatboy able to handle the D90 with your lense on?

17. Creepo

Creepo Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the insight!
    I like hearing it's comfortable even with a single shoulder strap.
    I'm looking to get a Gearslinger but the Sitka seems a bit too small for my use (school/edc bag: wide folders, books, possibly a laptop sometimes), might have to go with a Kodiak or Monsoon. Decisions, decisions...

18. benvr8

benvr8 Loaded Pockets

LUW, that is a great review. I've been thinking about getting a Sitka for a long time. You've helped me immensely! Thanks!

19. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

Just pulled the trigger on a Sitka thanks to this thread!

20. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

My Sitka just arrived...I noticed that OP removed the cords from his Sitka? I was thinking about doing that too...what's the reason for the cords?