1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sitka, Kodiak or Falcon II a worthy replacement for my Rush 12?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Elg, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Elg

Elg Loaded Pockets

I unfortunatly had to sell my 5.11 Rush 12 because it was too uncomfortable to wear. I'm a big guy (197cm and 120kg) and I believe the shoulder straps are made for smaller people than me. They pressed against my neck when the bag is hung properly on my back. I'm really gonna miss that bag; it was the perfect EDC-bag in every other way...

Now i have to find a replacement. I have been looking at the Maxpedition Sitka and Kodiak. They have that cool futuristic look, like whoever wears it is about to fight giant robots... At the same time they seem quite practical. But is the one-strap solution any good? It seems a bit unstable and uncomfortable if loaded to heavy. I've also been looking at the Falcon II as an alternative.

2. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I'm 6' and 230lbs. Sitka is bad news in my opinion. Flimsy, narrow strap and a shape that is uncomfortable on the back. Strap also pulls towards the neck.
    Don't know the others.

3. Wong

Wong Loaded Pockets

I carried a Falcon 2 for about 2 years and it was rock solid until one of the pups got to it.
    I like the multiple pockets on the falcon and it's well made.
    I do prefer the 5.11 bags though. lower IR signature if that matters to you, and better value per dollar.

4. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Lovin' my Kodiak...

Many, many, others have noted how uncomfortable it can be when overloaded, but I haven't had that problem yet...

(Yet being the key word, I've had 25lbs. in it so far for about 8 hours at the ballpark; no issues)

As far as being unstable... that's what the extra strap is for.

But...

If you loved your 12... why not try a 24???

Good luck in your search!!!

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  5. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

6. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

deffo see one in the flesh a lot of the maxped stuff looks great but when you pop anything in other pockets /areas suddenly have no storage

ProjeKtWEREWOLF and Wong like this.
  7. Elg

Elg Loaded Pockets

It looks like all the 5.11 bags has the same shape shoulder straps.

I'm leaning towards the falcon 2 for the moment. There are too many negative reviews about the sitka and the kodiak in this forum. Too bad, they look really good. :p

jarheadgreasemonkey likes this.
  8. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I'd also advise against the Sitka/Kodiak. I use my Sitka to store stuff in my car because I've traveled and hiked with it a few times and did not like it as a day bag at all. Even with the stabilizer, the one strap thing becomes very uncomfortable. Maybe check out the Camelbak HAWG. The straps are designed a bit differently at the top, (don't know what they call it)

(I believe this is bnoland's photo, but I found it on Google Images)
    [​IMG]

9. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

I hear ya...

Seems they are either loved or hated...

Mostly hated.

10. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

No. None of them.

Mecha04 and J4C3 like this.
  11. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

If you found the Rush 12 uncomfortable, I can almost guarantee you'd hate the Sitka, and probably the Kodiak as well. Check out the Hazard 4 Switchback if you decide to go with a single-strap bag.

jarheadgreasemonkey likes this.
  12. nextmayor

nextmayor Empty Pockets

I've got the old Typhoon and Monsoon gears lingers. They are great with light loads, but IMO are uncomfortable for extended wear. I'm running the Falcon II now and it's working well. I'm 6'2" and 200# and it fits pretty well. Can't give you an opinion on the extended wear though because I've only had it a month.

13. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

i'm also fairly large. 320lbs and i dont like my sitka at all when wearing it. the cross strap is too short, the main strap is ok but digs into my back. when the bag is loaded heavy it is not comfortable at all. i just ordered a rush 12 to replace it

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

14. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Talking about the rush 12, I figure someone would bring up the PFII.

15. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I really like my Kodiak (I'm 6'2"/188cm, 195lbs/88kg), but loading it heavily can make an all-day affair uncomfortable. It's a great travel bag, though. It seems to be a pretty polarizing choice, so if possible, see one in person first. If that isn't possible, I would choose the safe route: a 2-strap pack. Sling bags look really cool and the sling does have its advantages, but are maybe not ideal if you are physically carrying it all day long, every day.

16. zombieslayer001

No on Maxpedition period...... Tactical Tailor yes!

17. jimbogregs

jimbogregs BST/Marketplace ban

I'm also a big guy and I'm loving my Goruck GR1. Expensive but I won't need another pack for years.

18. 875fps

875fps Loaded Pockets

I have the Drago Tracker, their version of the Maxpedition Falcon II. While I've never used the Maxpedition version, the Drago bag is extremely well made. Looking at YouTube videos on both, there are features that the Drago bag has that the Maxpedition doesn't (more velcro, more MOLLE/PALS webbing, etc). It's also considerably cheaper (almost 1/3 the price) so for me it's a win/win.

Regardless of what bag you choose, I would high recommend watching some YouTube videos, doing a Google comparison search.

For example, a Google search like Maxpedition vs Drago comes up with a lot of results, including also comparisons of VooDoo Tactical and Condor. While I would certainly stay away from Condor, I can't complain about my VooDoo bag. It's not made near as well as my Drago and costs the exact same.

And, just in case you care, none of Maxpedition's bags are made in the US. Neither are most bags expect S.O. Tech, Tactical Tailor, and a small handful of others. BTW, I follow all of the guys I just mentioned on FB and they're all awesome people. I second zombieslayer's sentiments on the at least looking at the bags these companies offer. They're more expensive but 100% of your money is going to American companies.

Now, in case you haven't seen a Falcon II up close, they are small bags. The main pocket is just a big bigger than a 13" laptop and the middle pocket is just side enough to slide an iPad into. My brother has the RUSH 12 and it's a considerably bigger bag.

Another thing I'll throw out there ... my brother's RUSH is black where my Drago is green and my bag never looks dirty. His looks like he drags it through the dirt everywhere he goes. My bag looks brand new.

19. TimmE

TimmE Loaded Pockets

I'm 6'2" 250. I carry a Kodiak everyday. I find it to be a great EDC bag and I have used it for an overnighter. I would not go loading it up for hiking. It's great on the train too because I don't have to take it off.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

20. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

How much $$$ do you want to spend? What capacity are you looking for? I would have a look at Kifaru X-Ray or the Mystery Ranch line they are spendy but well worth it. Many of the MR packs have the futura harness which is adjustable and oh so nice for everyone and the Kifaru straps are also adjustable at the top so the pack will ride how you want it.