1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sitka, Falcon 2, comfort questions.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by luisdent, Sep 2, 2012.

1. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Well, if you'd like to hike sometime, just let me know. We can be all cool with our awesome bags! ;) haha And no hike is too small. :-P

Last edited by luisdent, Sep 17, 2012
    Myrddraal likes this.
  2. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Sounds great! Have you hiked Cardigan?

3. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Indeed. Many times. West Ridge side and Holt side... :)

4. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

All righty then. My rush 12 never shipped. So after 5 days I called amazon, and they expedited it so I got it today! Bye bye Sitka. Where do I start?

First, the quality is better than I expected. Even though it is a little more flexible nylon than the Maxpedition bags, it seems just as tough as you said. The stitching all looks great, double stitching most places even. The organization is different. I think the Sitka is the best organization you can get for its size, however the Rush 12 is still excellent. I may buy a small organizer for the admin pocket, but for now I'm going to use it as is. I have most things in a pocket and not much is loose, but I don't really care for the thin backpack style sleeves, such as where the pens go. I can't even use those they're so thin and tight. Nonetheless, the organization is very good, and now I can even carry a reasonable amount more stuff if I really needed to.

The best part? Comfort. I know I've probably talked about the Sitka in a better light than most in terms of comfort, and I still stand by my assessment. However, the Rush 12 isn't even in the same class of comfort. I transferred all my gear from the Sitka to the Rush 12 and expected the two straps to cut the weight in half. I was way off. It literally feels like 1/4 the weight is in the bag. It almost feels like I forgot to put something in it!

I was concerned about the strap style and bag size, etc. fitting my body, but they got it 'prefect'. The bag sits perfectly against my back, straps go 'perfectly' over my shoulders, making contact the whole time across the entire surface of the straps, so the weight is perfectly carried by the full strap surfaces. The contour of the bag fits perfectly. What else can I say? It just fits perfectly. Awesome. I have yet to walk hours with it, but I have no concerns at all that it will prove extremely comfortable. It is even more comfortable than some of my hiking packs that are twice the price and offer twice the adjustments. It just goes to show how much proper fit matters...

I'll try to do a side by side review for youtube in the next day or so, then the Sitka is going back. I will miss the design of the Sitka, especially the gearslinger aspect, which I used a lot, but no matter... the rush 12 is great! The sandstone color is excellent as well. Thanks to all the help here and prods towards the Rush. ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41884932@N02/sets/72157631575366474/

AlgoOPC and herosemblem like this.
  5. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

If I didn't have two MOAB10's and a Falcon II, I'd be all over the Rush12! I'm glad you like it so far. We all knew it would be
    "the one". :) It is a darn good-looking bag, too.

Vader9900 likes this.
  6. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Indeed. For now I think I am a happy man. I will actually be able to use this as my daypack for hiking also, so that is cool. :)

Myrddraal likes this.
  7. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

So true for the rush and sitka. ;) lmao

8. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

what water bottle holder is that?

9. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

This is a Flyye water bottle holder for 32oz Nalgene Everyday bottles, and attaches via sewn-on Cordura strips that you weave thru your backpack's MOLLE panel. The strips are secured with the built-in brass buttons.

You can also find a more generic equivalent on fleabay if you search "MOLLE bottle"... for about $11 shipped. I prefer these affordable ones over the $50 Maxped and Hazard4, etc versions.

10. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

It looks pretty good. I have a kleen canteen with a very good sealing cap, so I usually put it in my bag. However, I still think about it leaking. ha. Plus that would just free up space if I needed it...

11. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

O.k. Did a 4 mile hike today with the rush 12. Yeehaw. This bag is awesome. Very comfortable the entire time. Extremely satisfied with the purchase. I'll post a youtube review soon. Is there anything anyone would want to see or questions answered in video form for the review? Even if it's something you know, but would help others? I'd like to make it thorough. Same for the sitka, before I return it I figure I'll do a review and even one comparing the two bags. Just let me know. Will post a few photos in a minute...

12. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Here's the portrait shot. haha
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41884932@N02/8013824535/in/photostream

And while I was hiking, I used a carabiner to hang my bottle from a molle attachment point, as I do in EDC. However, this proved difficult while hiking, because now and then the bottle would swing and give me a good whack in the elbow. Not good. Then I had a great idea! I used some of the paracord I always carry (go edc!) and made a little double paracord strap to hold it in place. No swinging in fact it worked so well I probably won't be getting a water bottle holder now.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41884932@N02/8013826242/in/photostream/

However, the carabiner was pulling the molle strap in a way that made me worry about the corner stress point. I used it the entire hike with no ill effects, however, I have since put a small paracord loop through the edge of the little velco bladder tube cover and attach the carabiner to that, so now it is pulling straight against the side and not at a corner point. :) The beauty is that when you put the straps around the bottle, the bottle drops down when you let it hang and the straps can't slip off. One strap might have sufficed, but two is always better than one right? lol

13. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

I just wanted to chime back in, as it's been a few months with my rush 12 and give a quick impression. I'd have to say I love this bag. It has exceeded my expectations in almost every way. The only gripe I'd have with it is the size is just to the point where it looks like I'm wearing a big bag. It is my EDC bag and contains some important things, such as my epi-pen, inhaler, work items (in case i'm called in), etc. So I carry it everywhere, all the time.

Because of that, I would love if the bag were just a bit smaller overall so it wouldn't look "big" to people. I have had people joke about the bag asking "what you got in there?" type jokes because of its size. I do not have it fully loaded, and the compression straps are at the tightest (not that they do that much). Luckily, I don't care enough about what people think I look like. It would just be an added bonus if it were say 10%-15% smaller looking. However, for some people the size is perfect for multiple use situations (like me).

I have hiked with it, use it everywhere as EDC, work with it, etc. So far it has been reliable, durable, comfortable and extremely easy to access and store gear in. I take good care of everything I own, however I don't "baby" my bag. It is a good bag for a reason, I shouldn't have to worry about babying it. I toss it in my car, on the ground, on rocks (hiking), under my office desk, etc. I don't have any issues whatsoever with durability. There have been some small strands that have shown up around the pads that rest on your hips, as I actually asked about before I purchased the bag. However, they don't appear to have any negative effect on the bag and seem to simply be excess material.

The pockets and whatnot have provided me with enough storage options and organization to keep me satisfied and I find that it just plain works great. I love the tan color too. It is a great earth tone tan color. So for anyone still looking for this sort of bag, I highly recommend it just as so many others do on this forum. It's affordable for this type of bag as well. What is there not to like?

BrianEDC likes this.
  14. Ralpg1969

Ralpg1969 Empty Pockets

I've got messenger bags, backpacks and my all time favorite is my Maxpedition Sitka. It's the right size has all the pockets I need. It lets me attach pouches for additional for specials needs and to change to meet the situation at hand.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  15. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

I would say the sitka is still my favorite bag I've tried, but because of the comfort/fit I chose the rush 12, which is also great. I liked the sitka size better though. It didn't "look" as big on my back. But then again the rush is a little more flexible for carrying more stuff, so that's a trade off. I might get the sitka again some day and use both. Who knows.

16. nemezote

nemezote Loaded Pockets

I'm in love with my Sitka for lighter loads (sub 5 kg) and for the fact that when I swing it to the front I can comfortably operate out of it even while sitting down. It may not seem like much but with bigger slings you often end up with "too much bag" on the front and can not operate as comfortably from the bag.

BUT, if you do need something bigger and/or more comfortable I could recommend, from personal experience, the Rocket Sling pack from Hazard 4. It is has truly been an upgrade from the Sitka for me, in fact the only thing that has kept me from selling the Sitka is its capacity to fit an A4 accordion folder (which I use for college). This will all be rendered meaningless once I finally get my Hazard 4 Switchback, so if you need more comfort and space I would suggest you check those two packs out.