1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sitka, Falcon 2, comfort questions.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by luisdent, Sep 2, 2012.

1. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

I'm sticking with sandstone...

2. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

3. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

And in the exterior hydration pocket, I keep me tablet. Saving up for (probably) the Kindle HD 8.9...
    Currently, my Kindle Fire resides in there. This pocket, btw, is located right behind the buckle in picture #2.

Hopefully someone can confirm for me if the Rush12 is in fact literally a 2-strap version of the MOAB 10. (Not merely a very similar pack). Anyone?

And yes, the admin area (at least on the MOAB 10-- I'm still not sure if the Rush12 is the exact same bag but with 2 straps) will accommodate an EDC organizer pouch in 2 areas.
    1) the aforementioned "large fat" sleeve in my photo that currently contains no item.
    2) if the EDC-style pouch is somewhat thin (by thin, I mean the distance from your shoulder blades to your nipples. Not wide, not tall, etc), it will slide into the area where my Altoids mints are sitting.

So long as the pouch isn't so fat from stuffing it with fat things...

Last edited by herosemblem, Sep 13, 2012
  4. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

The R12 is definitely not just a 2-strapped version of the Moab. The admin pouch is basically the same, but there is no hidden hook and loop CCW pouch behind the admin pocket on the Rush 12. The R12 does have an extra slip pocket above the admin area, and has two horizontally-oriented mesh pockets on the inside of the front flap. The water bladder hose ports are better designed on the R12, in that the hose can be routed around either side of the microfiber sunglasses/goggles pocket, where the hose crosses over the middle of that same pocket on the Moab, potentially limiting access to it. I'm sure there are other differences I've missed, but those are the ones that stood out to me.

herosemblem likes this.
  5. herosemblem

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us on the differences between the rush and moab, Myrddraal.

6. themaindude

themaindude Loaded Pockets

My maxpedition fr-1 pouch has the same dimensions as the fatty except it is deeper. It fits in my r12 admin pocket with room to spare.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

7. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

does it bulk out the pocket? Or does it fit in nicely thick-wise?...

8. themaindude

themaindude Loaded Pockets

It does not blow out the admin if that is what you are asking. It is not a snug fit.
    I currently keep the following in my r12 admin pouch. Back to front

Rear zipper pouch:
    Moleskine expanding pouch card file.
    500 gig portable drive

Pouch in front of zipper pouch:
    Pouch with charging cables, 3x5 card leather cover.( think 3x5 notepad but with index cards and binder clips)

Left slot pouch hand sanitizer
    2 pen slots-stainless Sharpie and F701

Right slot
    Spare 18650 in plastic box sharing slot pouch with mini mag led

Front left flap pouch-full size old spice sport stick deodorant.
    Front right flap pouch,,, toothbrush in holder, small tube toothpaste, small bottle mouthwash.

Bottom of pouch clipped to key ring crkt eatntool.
    Floating at top of admin section-axe body spray (dark temptation of course)

All of this fits perfectly in the admin section. I still have room at the very bottom of pouch for a folder and other smaller stuff.

The zipper is not tight at any point and the axe is the only thing floating loose.

A jam packed fr-1 might bulge it out.(you can pack them till they look like a small nerf football) but with my lightly packed fr-1 ( approx 2 inches) there is no bulging whatsoever.
    Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

9. bobbyc

bobbyc Loaded Pockets

I keep stuff I need to get to ASAP in the hydration pouch of the Sitka. When I'm traveling - literally in airports or train stations - I tend to keep my tickets, passport and itinerary sheets in there.

herosemblem likes this.
  10. herosemblem

Excellent idea RE: the Rush12 & MOAB10, bobbyc.
    Come to think of it, the items I store in my exterior hydration pocket are quick-access items...usually my Kindle Fire, but also sometimes mail.
    Oops...I just saw you said "Sitka". :confused: I guess the same quick access benefit applies to all the packs!

11. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

I thought I had a test the other day... Tomorrow we will be going to Story Land, which is a children's amusement park... All. Day. Long. :-P Since my rush isn't here yet, I will be using the sitka. This oughta be interesting... 12 1bs baby! :-P hahaha

12. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Well, for some reason my rush 12 hasn't shipped yet from amazon in 3+ days... odd. Usually they are really speedy, and it doesn't say anything about low stock. Anyhow, some results from my excursion today with the sitka. Pretty much what I expected. I didn't find the bag too uncomfortable, but again, I didn't find it very comfortable either. I did, however, find it amazingly functional and perfect in every other way. I used it swung around as a table to write on, sitting on kiddie rides I simply swung it in front on my lap. Son needed a tissue or a diaper, simply swung it out front and pulled them out of the main compartment. Needed a knife to open a package, swung it around and the knife was right in the outer pocket elastic organizer. Needed to set the bag aside, unclipped easily and threw it right back on after.

I found that the size was excellent, being small and compact with its somewhat rigid nylon form. I really crammed a decent amount into the bag and it was at least 12lbs, which I think is a lot for the little bag, but I have no shoulder pain or soreness at all after all day (6 hours straight) walking with it, with less than 30 minutes total sitting down time on rides, etc. throughout the day (wife did rides as well while i did photos). I really felt good knowing the zipper pulls and outer pocket were snapped and locked down from would-be-thiefs. I realize anyone could get something if they wanted to and were skilled enough, but it is a deterrent nonetheless, and it felt good knowing that someone probably would have had a harder time getting access having me feel the bag being tampered with.

Anyhow, I will wait to compare the rush 12 and see how the comfort and organization are. I still have some hope that it will match the sitka in most ways, but exceed it in comfort, however, if it somehow doesn't do so, I don't think I'll have any reservations keeping the sitka. I just hope it ships soon. I want to know for sure already! :-p

For anyone else reading this that is considering the sitka, I'll be doing a youtube review soon, but to sum up my experience so far...

It is an amazing bag, great size, great quality, mediocre comfort. If you can deal with the comfort being mediocre, I think you gain a bunch of excellent features. If you aren't used to carrying bags with any amount of weight (I hike and camp a lot) then you may find it uncomfortable. I think it has a lot to do with the strap and the shape of the user's shoulder, nonetheless, it simply isn't awesome in the comfort area. But for me, it also isn't horrible. It just is. I adjust it here and there to get it feeling as good as I can, and then I ignore it. Adjust, ignore. Repeat. There is weight I feel on my shoulder, and sometimes it seems to push more on one spot than another, but it never results in pain or soreness, but that could differ greatly based on your tolerance...

I'll try to do a review of both the sitka and the rush if it ever ships soon! I can't wait to compare them and see what I find. Thanks for all the help here. No matter what, I really do think these two bags are the best choices for this price rang/style. You probably can't go wrong with either if it fits your needs. But comfort might be the deciding rule for some. An amazing bag is useless if you don't wear it. ;)

13. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Oh, and one more thing... I thought I might have issue right should carrying the bag, but it turns out it works fine. The shape of the bag is obviously catered to the one shoulder by design, however it didn't seem much different than my old ambidextrous sling bag was on one shoulder. You'll always have the tendency to shrug your shoulder a bit to keep a sling bag from sliding off, but I didn't notice it being that much worse than a normal sling bag. It might feel different because of the shape, but my wife said it looked o.k. carried that way, and I had no problems with it sliding off my shoulder. :)

14. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

15. herosemblem

Looks like a great bag. Actually looks pretty comfortable on you.

16. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Storyland? You must be from my neck of the woods.

17. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

I would be in NH. :) How bout you?

18. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I would be as well :)

19. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Excellent. Do you hike? haha

20. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I sure do! Though not nearly as much as I'd like.