1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sitka, Falcon 2, comfort questions.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by luisdent, Sep 2, 2012.

1. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Three for me... Condor II, Sitka, and Kodiak. I don't count the Mongo since it's a messenger style bag and that's a different thing all together.

2. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

Monsoon, Malaga and I am counting the Colossus & Jumbo.

3. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

hahaha... well, i'd rather not return four bags! :-P So, unless I missed some amazing bag out there, the last best options I can think of are the pygmy falcon 2, falcon 2 and the rush 12. The rush 12 would have a bigger main compartment and a reasonable amount of pockets especially if i add an organizer. The pygmy falcon 2 would be a little smaller I think, but have the compact squarish-ness the maxpeds have. The falcon 2 has more areas and comrpession straps. However, I can't tell which would be better overall. I'd most likely be getting an organizer for any of them....

4. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

For the record, I trusted the opinions of the posters here, I simply had to try it because nothing compared to the built in organization of that pack. :) haha

5. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

It's a process we all have to go through! I still like the Maxped stuff I haven't sold off, but I'm now onto better gear. Thank you 5.11 and haz4!

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

You'll find it has less to do with organization and more to do with ergos.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

7. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Ergonomics are definitely very important, however, my cheapo backpack is fairly comfortable, but I simply can't stand the lack of organization and also the bulkiness of the bag in appearance. It looks ridiculous. While looks aren't everything, I'd rather 'like' the look of my bag rather than think it is ridiculous looking. And for me, organization is very key. I really hate trying to shuffle through a bunch of gear to find something. Especially when it can be inconvenient to others, i'm in an awkward position or items risk damage due to being thrown in together...

Here's the problem I'm having with the choice between the rush 12 and falcon 2. If the rush 12 is really comfortable, it would have to offer me a lot more for it to be worth $80 or so, because my current bag, although very pathetic in comparison, could easily accept a gear organizer and I'd be done. However, it would still be bulky and not very tough. The concern I have from youtube reviews, etc. is that the rush 12 doesn't seem as tough as the maxped bags. The nylon doesn't seem as sturdy. It claims to be a similar denier, but the bags look like soft vs. hard when it comes to the fabric... I worry that the rush 12 will be bulky like the bag I have now as well. And most important, a lot of photos i see of the rush 12 show pulled threads. While I have only heard one actual reviewer mention this, seeing multiple shots of pulled threads concerns me. And I don't mean one thread, some photos had multiple threads to the point it was noticeable just looking at it. It is like asking for something to come undone in my mind... The falcon 2 should be the same build as the sitka which I'm extremely happy with, and I haven't seen any threads pulled or such on the maxpeds...

So, can anyone tell me if this is really the case? Would you say the rush 12 are equivalent to the maxpeds? Or is the build quality less? I also like the compartmentalization of the maxpeds. I like being able to easily get to something knowing exactly which section it is in, etc. Another concern with the rush 12 is that the organization pockets aren't as useful to me, because of the shape/style. However, the falcon 2 'may' also not be as nice as the sitka for my organization, however it is more compartmentalized for gear in general...

These are all just speculations, and unfortunately without trying them I could be far off or right on. Who knows? That's why I try to research them and seek help on the forums. What do you guys have to say about those points?

I'm taking the sitka out all day tomorrow. So this will either be the final acceptance or the final nail in the coffin. And I'm not going to be lenient with comfort. Any sign of strain or pain and it's gone. However, otherwise, the sitka is PERFECT! I was even able to reorganize some gear in the main compartment to gain about 10% more space without taking anything out or making it packed weird... So size and organization are 100% perfect, comfort.... we'll see tomorrow! :-o

8. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I own both a Rush 12 and a Falcon II. If anything, I think the Rush's material is tougher. It's much more pliable and feels stronger to me. I've never had a problem with loose or fraying threads with any of 5.11's products. I've had to trim some excess thread in the stitching, but that's more of an aesthetic concern.

My Falcon is now my day hike bag, mostly because it will just barely accommodate my 3L hydration bladder, but for EDC, the Rush 12 is far superior. It has great organization without sacrificing the space of the main pocket. I tried using the Falcon as a work bag but found the narrow pockets too restrictive. That may not be an issue for you if you're carrying a bunch of smaller items.

herosemblem likes this.
  9. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

thanks myrddraal. did you see my photos of my load out? http://www.flickr.com/photos/41884932@N02/sets/72157631515936804/
    Do you think that would fit the rush or falcon better? As for size, how much bulkier is the rush? I saw the photos you posted, but it's still a little hard to gauge the thickness/bulkiness compared to the falcon 2. Would that be everyone else's assessment that the rush is at least as tough as the maxpedition? I wish I had one to try organizing... blarg. I suppose I could buy it and return the one I like less. I hate to do that, but if amazon allows it, I suppose it wouldn't hurt... I'll see how tomorrow goes first though. Still a small sliver of hope. hahaha

10. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Luisdent, the R12 is just the superior pack. Better organization, better ergos, build quality is comparable, etc, etc. Not sure what you want us to tell you, but don't over think it. You came here for advice. Follow the advice.

Vader9900 and herosemblem like this.
  11. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

TARFU is right. Less thinking, more clicking "place order" on the R12 ;)

Vader9900 likes this.
  12. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Done.

Vader9900 likes this.
  13. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

I'll wait to try the rush before i send back the sitka, just in case there is some really weird problem with the fit or something. Otherwise, I would say I'm still torn on the sitka comfort. It is not painful, I don't have any residual soreness after walking the entire day with it. And I think I might even have 13 or more pounds in it now. However, it is by no means "really comfortable". I found I was constantly adjusting it to get it right, which in itself must mean it just isn't comfortable enough. We had to wait for our car to be worked on, so we drove back down to the surplus store. They were out of every rush bag they carry. Figures. However, the had the falcon 2. Not happening.

The organization just didn't work the same with the sections the way they were. It still ended up being a lot bulkier looking with the same load, and it just really didn't even feel that comfortable with two straps, because to fit everything in the thinner large compartments, the bag took a curved shape and thus didn't lie on my back well. This was only because of the thick ness of the pocket. I don't think it would happen with the backpack style of the rush, but we'll see. Sitka is the most perfect bag in the world for me other than comfort, but that's all it takes to ruin a bag i suppose. Such a shame. If they make a backpack version of that bag I will buy it. Until then, I hope the rush will satisfy my needs.

Assuming I need more organization, can anyone recommend which the best organizing pouch would be to fit in the rush? I guess this would be a good point to ask what different packing methods you guys use in the rush? Do you just throw everything in the bag, or do you use organizers or smaller bags within, etc. etc.

Last edited by luisdent, Sep 13, 2012
  14. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

In my imaginary Rush 12 (I have the MOAB 10 which I reckon has the same admin), the usual admin area is full of stuff; works great.
    Any miscl items--which usually happen to be small items, like bic lighters, earplugs, disposable dust mask, Swiss army knife cadet, emergency whistle are just tossed into the zippered pouch which is located in the admin area.

The admin proper carries items as such:
    Nevermind; I will take a picture and show you sometime soon. Easier that way.

15. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Also, before it ships I can change the color. Just curious if the black picks up a log of dust, etc? Because I like both colors, but the black looks more like an everyday bag in my opinion...

16. herosemblem

Comes down to preference. Most people like black, but I love my Sandstone.

17. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

I really think your search will end with the Rush, mine did.

luisdent likes this.
  18. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Photo of you wearing your full packed sandstone bag? :)

19. herosemblem

[​IMG]

I haven't yet found a use for the fat large sleeve in the photo, or for the two skinny twin sleeves in the photo either. I think I actually kept two packets of HotHands hand warmer packets in one of the twin sleeves before. Winter time soon...ish.
    [​IMG]
    And above is the bag, with compression straps not being used, obviously.
    It's a MOAB 10.

Last edited by herosemblem, Sep 13, 2012
  20. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

That is sexy....