1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sitka, Falcon 2, comfort questions.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by luisdent, Sep 2, 2012.

1. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

My wife is telling me to get the sitka. haha. she says the falcon and rush are too 'fat' and look ridiculous. I told her you can compress the falcon 2. :-P haha... i 'am' a thin guy. :-o i should make my own darn bag. ;) I probably could too, but i don't think it would cost any less, and there's more chance of ending up with a junk bag ;) haha

2. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Lol, my wife said i don't care! Just buy it if it gets you to shut up! Just buy the dang thing!! But I like this one too, OMG! Works every time lol JR

3. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

ha... yeah, my wife is pretty cool about it when I bombard her with edc bag talk, but i can tell when she starts to get frustrated. haha :-P And she just says "i don't know, i would get that one" :-P

4. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

Are you actually going to get a bag? Trying to get you along...!

5. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Bwahaha... I think so. My wife said I should just use the overtime i just worked to get the bag and keep my osprey daypack. So I may get the sitka after all and use the osprey for hikes. Although, I would try the sitka anyhow to test it out, but in the event that it is uncomfortable, the osprey would be my hiking pack. I just have too many bags. Gregory Z55 for backcountry camping (amazing bag), osprey talon for day hikes (very nice as well) backpack (cheapo) for EDC, 2 messenger bags (nice, but not the best for EDC organization) and now a possible sitka! Ay carumba... :-P So I wanted to get rid of a messenger and try to consolidate my EDC and daypack. It just doesn't seem there's any perfect solution, and the sitka organizes everything so well, and fits my body 'size' well without looking humongous.

Now I just need to click "buy". :-o !!!

themadplumbarian likes this.
  6. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

It 'has' beeeeeen done. I will post a full review when I get it and use it a bit. :) Thanks for all the help and the pics. They really helped with the size comparisons...

7. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

mooshisho likes this.
  8. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

HAHAHA! That's excellent. :-P

9. herosemblem

Excellent. I'm sure you will love it. In addition to using it, you will probably find yourself admiring its aesthetics every time you walk by. Do let is know.

10. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

hahaha. oh my sweet bag, how beautiful art though! lmao

11. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Was that a Mortal Kombat reference?

12. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Hehe. No, but I did happen to be a Mortal Kombat addict in my youth. :-P It was more just to indicate a geeky voice in written form...

defuse kit likes this.
  13. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

All righty then. Some quick photos of the new sitka. So far, it seems great. Durable as heck! Love the zippers and the material. The zipper lock pull is awesome too. Perfect organization. A little space leftover. Comfortable in my quick test. I'll write back after a few days of use and will do a hike for the heck of it as well...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41884932@N02/sets/72157631508297790/

I've since moved the keys to the hook in the bottom outer pocket and after playing with some organization, the bag is very evenly filled up. I'll post more photos later of the load out if anyone is interested.

Last edited by luisdent, Sep 10, 2012
    AlgoOPC likes this.
  14. herosemblem

Awesome bag and color. Nice choice. It looks larger than I imagined. I know you'll enjoy it.

15. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

I filled the main compartment up pretty good. I'm 5'11" 170lbs for reference... :)

16. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

All righty then. I had my first real test today. Walked around doing some shopping for a while. So pack your bags (pun intended), cause here we go...

For the amount of time I walked around, I would say the bag is strange when it comes to comfort. Is it comfortable? Not really. Is it uncomfortable? Not really. I'll try to explain. I would say the strap might fit some people with flatter shoulders better, because unlike some sling bags, there really isn't much of an angle to the strap where it meets the bag, or even the flexibility for it to fall at an angle on your shoulder. So, I feel the main issue with the strap is that the inner side of the strap is what makes the most contact with my shoulder. Therefore, if the strap simply contacted my shoulder across the whole surface evenly, it would be more comfortable. With that said, it isn't really that uncomfortable in the sense that it is painful or awful to wear. It is more that I felt like I was constantly trying to adjust it to get it "better". I am 5'11" 170lbs, carrying 12 lbs exactly, and I can tell you that I was completely thorough in my adjustments and testing.

I tried it loose, extra loose, medium, tight, extra tight, on the left of my shoulder, center of my shoulder, against my neck, hanging off the back a little, a lot, snug, high on the back, middle of the back, low on the back, everywhere in between. You name it, I did it. I find that trying not to make it snug against your back was the best and not too tight or too loose was best. Somewhere in the middle of everything worked best. I would have no problem carrying this around a store for a while, but I would 'prefer' something that was more comfortable. I would rather not feel my bag at all, or at least not 'think' about the bag the whole time, granted, I was in "testing" mode, so perhaps I wouldn't think so much about it once I am using it normally?

I guess the best thing to say is that while it wasn't really uncomfortable, it made contact on my shoulder in a way that I simply always 'felt' the bag, which was a distraction. It was like I was almost always so close to making it work well, but could never get that perfect adjustment. I believe this is a flaw in the design of the strap, plain and simple. It needs to be a bit wider and make better contact, or simply have two straps. Two straps and 7% more space would be a perfect bag.

Which leads me to my second consideration. The size. Man, everything about this bag has me torn in two. The size is perfect in every way, but yet too small (try to ignore the bad math there). The shape of the bag is perfect in every way, but too structured. Let me explain. The size is perfect, because it results in a bag that is very minimal looking (relatively speaking) on your back. Good overall dimensions, not too thick, doesn't bulge anywhere. Doesn't sag anywhere. The structure of the nylon allows it to stay the square shape it has in each compartment which further helps the look of the bag. It just looks, well, put together and compact for it's size. I love it.

However, the structure of the bag 'can' have a negative effect, depending on what you store in it. The small top compartment couldn't be more perfect. For the large compartment, putting anything too delicate in it would have me concerned for the item. Just something to consider. The weight of the filled outer pockets combined with the items in the sleeves inside the main compartment all add a significant heft to the bag surrounding the delicate object. For instance, if I want to throw my xbox controller in the bag the way I have it full, it would cause the joysticks to be pushed on to the extent that I would worry about them being damaged. Want to carry a cd in the bag? I might worry the case would crack. If it wasn't as full, it might not be as much of a problem, however I have had these items in a backpack (simple school bag) with no problems, because it allows 'give' in the compartment and easy stacking of items... This is my experience anyway. They could still get broken in a school bag, but less likely from crushing of other parts of the bag. There are ways to work items in, but the basic issue is that I think it might be just a bit small for my needs. So close though.

I have managed to fit everything I carry EDC-wise perfectly with zero issues. That's the point right? Sure, however, I'd like the flexibility to go out and bring something home without having to carry an extra bag. If I decide to add clothing or xbox gear, I'd like to have it in my main bag. Simple to carry, simple to remember. There is just barely enough room to 'not' be able to do this with the sitka, at least with my gear. I'm not talking about shopping for a day and trying to stuff every possible thing I buy in the bag. I'm talking about maybe one or two small items. Grab some CDs at the record store? Not gonna fit with 'my' gear already in there. How about a new book I bought? Nope, sorry, only 0.5% space left. :-P

I've considered trying to lose items or shrink things down somehow, but the truth is that I use all of these items fairly regularly, except the survival kit I have, but that serves an emergency purpose, so that is to be expected. In terms of size, I think this depends on your load out, but for me, I'm thinking it just might be barely too small.

What else do I like about the bag? Everything. This bag is so sexy. I got the foliage green, which I think looks excellent. Not too tactical, but also not too "typical bag" looking either. The build quality is fantastic. I love the semi rigidity of the material. It gives it a very tough feel. The stitching all looks great. The straps look durable. The handles are placed nicely and padded where needed. Plenty of useful molle attachments. Nice water bottle holder that isn't too big, but holds my kleen canteen or my bigger camelback bottles. Perfect size bag for grab and go with the top handle. Set it on the seat in the pizza place and it didn't take up too much space, was easy to handle. I removed the compression straps that go from top to bottom, because I filled it so much they simply don't do anything. However, they seemed to work well before I filled it all the way, keeping the pockets snug and compact if needed. Everything feels rock solid and works perfectly. Zippers feel tough, snaps feel tough. The only thing not amazingly tough would have to be the little hook in the bottom compartment for keys or such items, but for its intended use I don't see an issue being internal and not designed to carry weight or be ripped on.

So to conclude my sort-of-review, I think it has amazing features, storage and build quality. It has mediocre comfort and it is on the very edge of being too small, but this obviously varies by load. Even with a lighter load, I don't think it would affect the strap issue for me. If I could theoretically drop to say 8lbs, I don't believe that would affect the comfort. I don't really find the weight an issue, except the fact that it is all on the edge of the strap contacting my shoulder. 8lbs might be less weight, but it would still be 8lbs on the single point of my shoulder and I think I would fidget with the strap constantly trying to "get it right". I do want to stress that this was a test, and I was thinking about it the whole time. I'm going to give it another few outings and see how things go. I may find that once I stop thinking about it I won't be bothered by it. However, my assumption is that it will just never feel transparent enough. And since I want a bit more space I'm being critical on the comfort. :-P I don't want to sacrifice two things.

Please check out the photos I've posted. Hopefully they will be helpful for size comparison and usage. And for anyone considering the bag, realize that everyone here against the bag (for lack of better terms) that has experience with it is simply trying to help. I think there may be people the bag fits better than others, perhaps a larger shoulder where the flat strap lays more completely on the shoulder. I had a feeling it wouldn't be comfortable, but with the perfect organization I simply had to know by experience. It's not as bad as I feared, but not as comfortable as I hoped. However, no other bag fit the organization points as well as this bag. As a matter of fact, thinking that I will most likely be returning it to get another bag, I'm not looking forward to finding something comparable. Haha. Let me know if you have any questions or want any other photos.

Here is the gallery with descriptions for each photo of the gear, etc.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41884932@N02/sets/72157631515936804/

Last edited by luisdent, Sep 11, 2012
    AlgoOPC likes this.
  17. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

Shoulda gotta Rush 12 :banghead:

18. DragoSapien

DragoSapien Loaded Pockets

I just got my Falcon II today and I think I made a good choice for how I will use it. But Time will tell. For sure Im going to need the small EDC pouch's. The only thing I don't like at this time is there only a small place to put my patches. Ill work on that.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  19. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

They all come to that conclusion... eventually.

20. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

It took me 4 Maxped bags....