1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sitka, Falcon 2, comfort questions.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by luisdent, Sep 2, 2012.

1. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

For the record, i got an error that it couldn't post, so it said to try again. however, it seemed to have lied and posted both. :-P

2. BiggDaddy485

BiggDaddy485 Loaded Pockets

Here's my experience:

I owned the Sitka.. Was a great bag to EDC at work where it went from my car to the floor of an ambulance to hold my stuff for the day. It sat sideways and allowed for easy access of all the pockets, was tough as nails, and looked good doing it too. However, for a day pack/hiking/I'm-gonna-carry-this-thing-around-for-a-while bag, I didn't like it. It was uncomfortable with even a small amount of items packed in. Perhaps it was my body shape (5'9", wide, big gut) that prevented it from being comfortable, perhaps it was just the bag itself. Also, it wasn't very big. If I wanted a bag to pack a change of clothes in for an overnight trip, forget it. Didn't fit my laptop either. So for all those reasons, I sold it. Loved the organization though. This was a perfect work bag.

So then I bought the Falcon II. Amazing bag, just enough room for an overnight bag, and it's very comfortable to wear when it's packed for longer periods of time. You're right about the organization, it isn't the best for small stuff. Personally, if I wanted to use it for that, I would purchase some of the pocket organizers to clean up that stuff.. Use paracord of different colors even to differentiate different organizers. Blue for tools, red for fire, brown for a pocket chemistry set... Whatever you need.

I dont have experience with 5.11 bags, but I wouldn't have any problem buying one just based on the reputation I've heard. But you cant go wrong with a Maxped in my opionion.. Of course, your mileage may vary..

sparrow and TheBoyScout22 like this.
  3. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

So you seem to like the falcon 2. Do you find it irritating to have to undo the compression straps to get to the main compartments? Also, how much weight were you putting in your sitka where it was uncomfortable? :)

4. bobbyc

bobbyc Loaded Pockets

The Sitka is not a super-comfortable bag to EDC due to the design of its strap. It Just Won't Carry Comfortably Over One Arm. It's not designed to, to be fair. I love the design of it, love the internal pockets and the overall build quality. Don't love the strap.

sparrow likes this.
  5. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I'm thinking a backpack style will be better with an organizer if needed... Right now I'm thoroughly investigating the rush 12. Does anyone have photos of the size of it being worn on someone average? Like how thick it is? I originally liked the sitka because of its size. It is fairly small considering how much it can store and not too deep off your back...

6. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I'm going for the falcon ll, but that was what I was worried about, the organization, with only four pockets, but at the same time I have fishing tackle boxes in my EDC bag now to sort things out, so if I could get a few more in order to sort the remainder of the little things that I can't find spots to put them, I guess that would solve my problem, and the falcon ll would work for me.. JR

TheBoyScout22 and mooshisho like this.
  7. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the falcon 2 and the rush 12 seem like the best two backpack options for the price. I like the compactness of the falcon two, however I'm not sure how much of a pain the compression straps will be to access the compartments... In the store briefly they seemed to require loosening at a minimum to easily get into the bag. I don't mean to be nit picky (perhaps i do), but I want fast access to my gear and don't want to loosen and tighten straps all the time if I don't have to...

8. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

A "friend" of mine (KAMM!) and I were adventuring through SF and her Sitka wasn't a great idea for long adventures. I was sporting a Condor Compact Assault Pack and the dual straps were doing much better. Two straps for adventuring please! The Falcon seems very large for EDC. Perhaps you'd be better suited with a PFII or a Typhoon? The Rush 12 seems like a good size. And as far as compression straps, if you don't like em you can always take them off.

And yes, organizers. They work wonders.

9. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

I could remove the straps on the falcon 2, but then it would always be its maxed out size, which is too large for edc to me... also might void the warranty which i'd rather not do. The rush 12 does seem like a decent size. The PF2 looks nice, but I assume it will be the same comfort as the sitka assuming the same load weight...

I found a store in my own town that carries maxpedition bags!!!! An eyeglass shop! Who would have thunk it?? They said they have the sitka, so I'm going to go load it up and wear it around the store like a dope to make my final assessment and possibly put the nail in the coffin. ;)

10. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

O.k. I'm a dope. I just realized the PF2 is a backpack. Scratch what I said. That is sexy... Now I'm thinking $80 PF2 + $30-$40 Organizer = Same price as sitka but comfortable day packing... What is the consensus of that idea? haha

Can anyone tell me roughly how the sitka and PF2 compare in size? Maybe i'll be lucky and the store will have both! *crosses fingers*. :) Their site says it's around 1400cu vs the 600 or so for the sitka. Is it really that much bigger? They look similar in photos. Perhaps they are counting the water bottle holders or something? Seems odd...

Last edited by luisdent, Sep 4, 2012
    mooshisho likes this.
  11. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I own both, and the PF2 doesn't really seem that much bigger than the Sitka, but it can be deceiving. The PF2 will hold quite a bit though, and it is very comfortable even heavily loaded. I ended up switching to the R12 because I needed just a little more space. I can take a side-by-side of the PF2 and Sitka later today if you'd like.

12. AnObfuscator

AnObfuscator Loaded Pockets

Here's my experience with the Sitka, Rush 10, and Malaga...

My EDC is 10-12 lbs. I got the Rush 10, thinking it would be perfect. It held everything really well, but it just wasn't comfortable. I tried it for a couple of weeks, but it never "broke in". Uncomfortable is uncomfortable. I got the Malaga and Sitka to compare. The Malaga was, for me, much worse, and I couldn't stand it. It also didn't fit my EDC gear well at all. The Sitka was 100% comfortable from the git-go, and carried everything perfectly. I've had it on my back for hours at a time, and it works great for me. The Rush 10 and Malaga got returned.

I don't think it will "break in" for you. If it doesn't seem like it will work, don't waste $100 on blind hope. ;) Just keep looking.

As a possibility, these people do Kodiak conversions to dual straps: http://www.fightandflight.com/index.php/custom-kodiak-mods.html

Maybe they can do a Sitka too, if you're willing to spend the $$$?

13. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

That would be awesome if you would. :)

Probably not. I think it was somewhere between $50-70, which makes it a pricey bag... :)

However, I went to the store today, which was an interesting experience, and tried the sitka. Here are my impressions...

I loaded it with about 10-11 pounds and walked around, or sort of stood around, the small store. It was fairly comfortable. I didn't have that perfect "fits me like a glove" feeling, but I also didn't feel anything bad about the fit. I noticed that if I attached the side strap to the main strap and adjusted it just a little bit past the point where it loses slack, it somehow took a little bit of weight off the shoulder as well. But either way, I didn't find any reason that it "wouldn't" be comfortable enough for EDC usage. Even for hours I think it would be o.k. for me personally.

However, really paying attention to the strap and weight distribution, I'd have to say I'm not sure about using it for day hiking. It might be o.k., but based on the feel of the strap, i can't tell if the greater body movement during a hike would result in the bag feeling heavy after a while and possibly wearing on the shoulder. Walking around a store is one thing, but hiking a mountain would probably cause some discomfort at a minimum. But that is based off of my best guess and what others here have said.

As for the storage, I was surprised to find that everything I had fit pretty much perfectly in the bag, however with zero space to spare. I'd be kind of concerned if I had to add something to my EDC, or if I was out and I bought something or needed to temporarily carry something else. What was in the beag was organized perfectly.

Knife, multi-tool, screwdrivers and such fit nicely in the top outer pocket with one to two items in each elastic band and a few loose. Earplugs fit in the outer zip pocket. Wallet, id badge, headphones, pens in a case and cables fit nicely in the bottom outer pocket. CD player (i do a lot of used CD browsing) fit perfectly in the larger inside zippered mesh pocket. Inhaler, and other small items fit in the other small mesh pocket. Stuff-able jacket, sunglasses (in a case), stuff sack with other small items, survival kit container (a medium sized plastic case) pocket bible, moleskin notebook, half size lined notebook, a small work manual and a few other items fit in the main compartment. With all of this I was able to swing the bag around as advertised and access everything very easily. I also opened the bag up all the way on the floor and it was easy to access everything that way as well...

So I'd say other than maxing out the space completely and my concern for day hiking it is an excellent bag. However, I'm thinking something like the rush 12 with an EDC organizer pouch might work better for hikes, give me some spare room and be more comfortable in general.

Ironically, I usually sling any bag I use over my right arm and not my chest unless I'm walking for a while. This is possible with the sitka, but it was a bit awkward, because the strap is designed for right handed over the chest carry, so having the strap on your right shoulder only leaves the other half of the bag hanging out off your body instead of on your back. I found I could position it so it lay better on the back, but just casually slinging it on my shoulder always resulted in it at least 'feeling' like it was hanging out to the side a lot. So that style of carry would be out for me with that bag. With the backpack I can single shoulder or double shoulder with no problem.

So, Myrddraal, if you can send a photo comparing the two that would be cool. Does anyone have a comparison photo of the rush 12 and sitka depth and width? I think at this point i'm leaning more towards the fp2 or rush 12, but i still would prefer something that isn't much bigger than the sitka physically...

O.k. I'm done now. :-P

14. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Some pics for comparison:

Sitka on left, PFII on right:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PFII left, Rush 12 right:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As usual, sorry for the pic quality :-/ I hope these are at least of some help.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  15. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Wow, even the rush 12! :) The rush looks a lot deeper than the others. Is it that noticeable in real life? having acess to both the pf2 and rush 12, which would you say is better for comfort with a similar load?

16. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Yes, I have too many bags :) The Rush is noticeably deeper, which is why I made the switch from the PFII. I would say the PFII is slightly more comfortable than the Rush under similar load, but they're both very comfortable. The PFII just sits a little higher on my back which I prefer.

17. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

By the way, I just saw the typhoon backpack on their site while looking for organizers. No one has mentioned that. It seems close to these in size, or is it smaller? It seems to have a few more pockets, but on the outside...

18. DragoSapien

DragoSapien Loaded Pockets

I was wondering about the Typhoon also, but its price is about the same as the Falcon 2 witch is more bag for the money.

19. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Yeah... maybe you pay for the organizing pockets? :-o

20. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I was looking at the typhoon, which is a midget falcon ll, but I went ahead and bought the falcon ll earlier this afternoon, should be here Friday, also bought the rest of things needed for my project that I'm creating for the bag, hehehe, woohahahaha!! Can't wait, so stoked JR

Vader9900 likes this.