1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sitka, Falcon 2, comfort questions.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by luisdent, Sep 2, 2012.

1. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

I have recently brought my edc gear into a store and loaded up a sitka and falcon 2 by maxpedition. My initial thoughts are that a) the sitka isn't comfortable with 10lbs and b) the falcon 2 doesn't have as much small item organization. So i really want the sitka, but I'm guessing if it didn't feel great right off the bat it would be stupid to buy it hoping it would work...?

The falcon two basically fails a little for organization, because I carry a lot of small tools like a leatherman, knife, flashlight, etc. etc. and the top front compartment doesn't have the webbing like the sitka to organize a few tools. Also the bottom front compartment has more standard backpack pockets that are very thin and small and seem even more frail if you are constantly putting tools with pocket clips in them.

However, the falcon has backpack straps and harnesses and more space if needed while mainting a low profile. I was thinking of sticking a gear organizer in it, but that costs more money, makes accessing gear at least twice as time consuming and results in unused front pockets and used up large pockets that would be useful for other things...

So, I have a few questions... First, would the sitka ever 'break in'? Or is that too much weight to carry in it? Second, is there another option with the falcon you can think of? Third, is there another bag that would be comparable to the sitka by another manufacturer? I can't seem to find anything other than the malaga, but it is smaller and with the same weight would probably be the same or worse... I'd love a sitka backpack, but i'm not really into modding my bag...and it probably voids warranty... Or vice versa a falcon 2 with added webbing in the front pockets instead of the backpack pen type pockets... any ideas? I'm dying with my current cheapo backpack. It's comfortable enough, but has no real organizing and makes me take a long time to find things as well as being really bulky and enormous on my back...

I can list my gear if it helps...

2. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

I have a MOAB 10 and Falcon II, but for your purposes, I suggest... the 5.11 Rush 12 (or is it the Rush 24? I think it's the 12).

3. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

All of those are nice bags, but the rush 12 has more flat pockets/sleeves than actually molle strap style holders. Those type of pockets usually end up being too small or not firm. I prefer the strap style of the sitka where the top pocket has the three webbing pieces that are sort of elastic. Almost like a pocket organizer from maxpedition, but if it were built into the bag. I don't want to have to unzip the bag, remove the organizer, unzip the organizer, remove the item, rezip the organizer, put it back in the bag and rezip the bag... too much work for constantly accessing gear...

So I wish I had one to try to see if it fits everything well. I'm thinking something webbing style or at least better pockets for bulky tools would work better, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by luisdent, Sep 2, 2012
  4. herosemblem

I wonder if a Grid-It would help...
    I also enjoy the elastic webbing in my Lunada, but ive made due with the non elastic admin pockets and sleeves in my moab 10-- which are roomier than the admin in my falcon ii. Good luck w the search...part of the fun'

5. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

I have had 2 Maxped Slingpacks, they do not get better. Just got a 5.11 Rush12, awesome organization, lots of webbing and COMFORTABLE! Cheaper than the Maxped stuff too.

TARFU and herosemblem like this.
  6. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Hahaha... I just found that grid-it online... that's neat, however, i checked out the moab, and I'm thinking that would be better than the rush 12... it looks very nice.. it doesn't have the webbing inside, but the "admin pouch" pockets seem to be bigger and there are less small thin pockets... also, it is a sling, which I actually prefer "if" they are comfortable... with the internal zipper pocket and velcro pocketse in the main compartment it seems pretty versatile... if you didn't "open up" the full size of the falcon 2, would you have the moab 10 is a similar size all around? And for a minimum of 10 lbs which is more comfortable to you, the moab 10 or the falcon 2?

7. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Yeah, of all the research I've done these are the two brands I'm really leaning towards... Tad might be another, but way too pricey for me...

8. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

... Just an FYI... i just noticed the 12 has the same magazine pockets on the outer side of the admin pocket... :-o]

Let me throw this in as well... I might actually replace my daypack for hiking with whatever EDC bag I get as well. I don't like the current "one pocket" design of my daypack, and If it is comfortable enough, I would use the EDC bag for that. So with that said, would the moab 10 be uncomfortable in that role? Am I better off with the falcon2?

Honestly, I fell in love with the falcon 2 and the sitka, except for the possible lack of comfort with the sitka, and the slightly less organizable falcon 2 for small bulky tools...

Last edited by luisdent, Sep 2, 2012
  9. herosemblem

22lbs and 5.5 miles with my moab10 and worked fine. Bulk of weight was 132oz of h20.
    Keep in mind m relatively young and work out a lot. Moab Not as comfy as the falcon ii for hiking role. For edc role, I prefer moab 10. Only criticism is that the bag slides off my bag when I bend down. Also, I imagine id love a 2 strap version of the bag if it existed. I reckon that's the Rush 12! Wish you were in northern Cal so I could show you both the falcon ii and moab 10...

In sum, if you intend to carry a laptop or couple of textbooks, you will really appreciate the rush 12. Most people will be annoyed w the 1 strap design once they put real weight in their bags.

10. herosemblem

Not to mention there was just a discussion. About rush 12s going for like 70 shipped or something...tactical distributors...find that discussion for details. Sorry kindle fire tablet keyboard.

11. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

I won't be carrying a laptop or any large text books. I try to be as minimalistic as possible with everything I carry, so even my notebook is a half size "black and red" brand notebook. :) So a smaller overall footprint isn't bad for me. I'm more concerned about the small item organization. I keep leaning towards the sitka, because it is small, has the best small to medium organizing pockets, but i don't want to be uncomfortable especially if i decide to use it for a day hike. I won't be doing 20 mile hikes or anything, but more like 4-8 miles depending on the trip.

I have a nintendo wii sling bag that I love and has always been comfortable even packed full, but it is smaller and probably no more than 1/2 the weight I carry now with my new job. I'm thinking of getting the sitka on amazon and returning it if it isn't comfortable/doesn't fit very well... The falcon 2 or moab 10 would be my second guess, but seeing the moab is a sling as well (although slightly better because it can be left or right) I'd probably say the falcon is 2nd best.

The thing I didn't like about the falcon in the store was that accessing the main or secondary compartments required that you loosen or open at least two of the compression straps on the sides of the bag. That is to be able to 'easily' access those areas... Having items I use everyday, I'd prefer to have immediate access via one zipper if possible. Plus, I don't need the extra size/weight of the falcon 2. Yet, it has two straps, which is better. So I'm torn between a better overall size sitka for me with ease of access and great organization and the more comfortable falcon 2 at the cost of slightly less functional organization for me and less ease of access for the two compartments... hmmmm

a sitka with backpack straps sounds awesome... or a falcon 2 with a few webbing options internally. the second of which seems somewhat possible to make myself, but i'd rather go stock and not void warranties and/or do a crappy job. :-P

12. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

If you're going MOAB10, Chubb has one in the BST for less than they sell new. If you're going to use it for hiking, you're going to have to keep the load pretty light. Otherwise, I'd go RUSH 12 that size of bag. Run, not walk, away from the Sitka. Your discomfort will not improve. And I agree with your assessment of the Falcon. Not a fan of either of those bags to be honest.

Chubb and Vader9900 like this.
  13. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

My concern with the moab (it looks like very nice bag) is that the pockets in the "admin" area will all have items in them somewhat loosely. Also, I wish it had more med to small organizing pockets. Most of my gear is small... That is where the sitka excels... D'oh...

14. Kontractor

Kontractor Loaded Pockets

Falcon II is extremely comfortable, even loaded down. Yes a grid-it does help.

MOAB 10 is a sweet bag, but the single strap (for me) is no bueno when more than 10lbs. The Rush 12 seems nice though, but the Rush 24 is more my size.

mooshisho likes this.
  15. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Check out my RUSH 24 review. The 24 has the same admin area as the 12. There is nothing loose in my bag. You'll find that most bags will never have the organization you ultimately need and if you have more than one bag then switching stuff is a pain in the arse. That's why a lot of us that have been doing this a while get smaller organizer pouches (like the Maxpedition Mini Organizer, General Purpose/Dump Pouches, etc.) and store our smaller items in there. Then you can transfer stuff from bag to bag quickly and you're making bag decisions on what works for your carry/POU, not just your EDC.

BTW, it sounds like to me that you've already made your mind up on the Sitka. Go ahead and pull the trigger if that's the case. Nothing we say here is going to change that if your finger is already poised on the "Buy" button. ;)

16. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

there was a company that did mods on the larger Kodiak to make it a two strap backpack.. Wonder if they'd do it for a sitka.. That way you'd keep the organization you like but with a more comfortable two strap setup

OK, found it.. Flight or fight tactical

http://www.fightandflight.com/index.php/custom-kodiak-mods.html

17. DragoSapien

DragoSapien Loaded Pockets

Dose the Rush 12 have the same quality of nylon and zippers as the Falcon 2. I too am having to chose one of the two. I like the multicam the Rush 12 has.

18. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

19. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Well, I respect the opinions of people who have tried these bags, which is shy I haven't pulled the trigger. Organizationally, the sitka is the 'closest' thing to perfect for me, however I feel I haven't had enough time to test it for comfort. I tried it on in the store with my gear loaded for 15 seconds. haha. So looking at reviews online, amazon, youtube, edc forums... most people tend to say it is comfortable with between say 10-15 pounds. Some say more, some say less, but that is the average consensus I've found. However, I 'know' the backpack will be better no matter what. Having two straps is simply more weight distribution.

So, thus continued my search. Another thing I like about the sitka is that it stays compact looking even loaded up. Some of these other bags start to look like 'backpacks' where they fill out and get larger and bulky looking. So without more testing time, I'm hesitant to spend $115 on a bag that may not work for me. But also hesitant to spend $80 on a back that 'should' be comfortable, but I haven't been able to load up and test if my gear fits well....

So it results in basically just up-and-doing one of them. And that leads me to be too indecisive. hahaha. I guess I'm just praying someone will come along and show me brand X that has a backpack that is close to the sitka. :-P

20. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

Well, I respect the opinions of people who have tried these bags, which is shy I haven't pulled the trigger. Organizationally, the sitka is the 'closest' thing to perfect for me, however I feel I haven't had enough time to test it for comfort. I tried it on in the store with my gear loaded for 15 seconds. haha. So looking at reviews online, amazon, youtube, edc forums... most people tend to say it is comfortable with between say 10-15 pounds. Some say more, some say less, but that is the average consensus I've found. However, I 'know' the backpack will be better no matter what. Having two straps is simply more weight distribution.

So, thus continued my search. Another thing I like about the sitka is that it stays compact looking even loaded up. Some of these other bags start to look like 'backpacks' where they fill out and get larger and bulky looking. So without more testing time, I'm hesitant to spend $115 on a bag that may not work for me. But also hesitant to spend $80 on a back that 'should' be comfortable, but I haven't been able to load up and test if my gear fits well....

So it results in basically just up-and-doing one of them. And that leads me to be too indecisive. hahaha. I guess I'm just praying someone will come along and show me brand X that has a backpack that is close to the sitka. :-P