1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sitka and Kodiak wearability on us big folk

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Ktor, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Ktor

Ktor Loaded Pockets

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the gearslinger bags listed for us large folks. Straps long enough, do they sit correctly on the back, etc. For reference I'm 6' 300lbs

Thanks ... chip

2. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

For reference I am 6'2" and under 300 lbs. and I found the Kodiak straps long enough but it kept slipping on the shoulder no matter how tight I made it. Might work for a skinnier fella.

3. Geek_Bag_AZ

Geek_Bag_AZ Empty Pockets

Im 5'10 250lbs and both the Sitka and Kodiak fit comfortably. However the sitka tends to look like a small pre-school bag when i put it on my back. LOL

The kodiak looks much better when on my back. However the Kodiak has a slight tilt when on my back.

Check out my video and fast foward to 10:51. You will see how both bags look on me. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbENX7CHEHQ

4. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Loaded Pockets

First off, excellent post Ktor, 6-4/300 here so I understand where you're comin' from.

Panzer, when you say your Kodiak keeps "slipping"... are you referring to the dreaded "strap rides up on your neck muscle, pulls beard hair, rubs your neck raw" type event?

I've experienced too many bags ride like this. I have a Jumbo Versi that wanted to ride up my neck, needing more room so I moved out of the Max Jumbo-V for a LAPG small 'BUG' ('bout the same thing as the County Comm small 'BUG'.

Time to exand yet again, I have been on the verge of going with a Malaga but reading some specific reviews here on those vs the Kodiak and Sitka, decided I should perhaps go with the Kodiak.

Lookin' forward to your response!

5. swnh

swnh Loaded Pockets

Ditto here (6', 295#). I also have the tilt issue with the Kodiak. I'm on the waiting list with Fight & Flight Tactical to get shoulder straps installed on it. I found (for me) the gearslinger style is only comfortable for short durations (heavy) or very light loads. The main strap is plenty long for even bigger folks, but the side strap is barely usable at it's max extension.

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I'm 6'4 and 260 lbs. The Sitka looked like a Ken doll accessory on me. The Kodiak was the right size of bag.

NoQuarter - I think Panzer is saying it slips off his shoulder when carrying it over one shoulder and not slung across the torso. I had that issue also. Neither the Sitka or Kodiak is really designed for single shoulder carry. I also had the slight tilt but I think that is by design.

The stabilization strap is not long enough for big guys. I stowed it when I got the bag and never used it again.

7. QDaddy

QDaddy Loaded Pockets

The tilt on a Malaga is bothersome... I look like I have a 30° list to port. I'm using a set of homemade backpack straps and I couldn't be happier.

8. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

How about for someone even taller? Like 7' tall? I am going to be in need of a new edc bag and like the 5.11 moab, but am considering the maxpadtion .

9. mjadams75

mjadams75 Loaded Pockets

I'm 6'0" 320 pounds. Fits perfectly on me.

10. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Loaded Pockets

7 Feet!?!?! Dang! Ain't too many feller's I have to look up to, you'd definetly need this EDC setup; http://milspecmonkey.com/amusement/monkey-pals2.jpg

11. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

That might work.

Ya I do that alot. Fun thing, I meet a guy a few weeks ago that was 7'4" i felt pretty short my self.

12. Ktor

Ktor Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the replies and the videos! Very helpful.

I was worried about the slipping and the stabilization strap. Thanks for the info!

MJ you didn't have a problem with how the bag rested on your back? Were you using the stabilization strap?

Thanks for the video was excellent!

13. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

No I am not talking about single strap carry. I am talking about wearing it the way it was intended. Slipped all the time when walking

14. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

I just purchased a Sitka and awaiting shipment. I am also a big guy at 6'5"300lbs. I hope I wont need a Janus extension but I am sure I will need to. I already have a Malaga and had to get the extension to fit around my barrel chest.

15. Gvdocholiday

Gvdocholiday Loaded Pockets

I'm 6' 215lbs...I currently carry a Sitka. I'm a big fan of this gear slinger. I use it as my duty bag and is great for when on bike patrol with the hydration bladder.