1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sipik 68 Baking (heat coloring)

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Cornholio2188, Jan 9, 2013.

1. tater262

tater262 Loaded Pockets

After reading this post I went and ordered me one of those little lights. Can't wait til it gets here so I can fire up the easy bake oven and cook mine.

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  2. Plexabit

Plexabit Loaded Pockets

Somehow I doubt an EasyBake oven would do the trick. :rolleyes:

3. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

I'm not so sure, that little light bulb in there puts off quite a lot of heat. ;)

4. Plexabit

Plexabit Loaded Pockets

This should do it. Their website is down, but it was really cool (Wicked Lasers--they sold some awesome stuff)

5. tharper2202

tharper2202 Loaded Pockets

So my light came in yesterday (2 weeks and 1 day from when I ordered. I thought that was pretty fast considering it came from china). I saw this thread and told myself "hmm maybe one of these days I'll order another one and try this out". Annnnnnnnnd I couldn't help myself so as I'm making dinner on the stove top, I have my new flashlight in the oven haha. I think It came out great. I couldn't get my lens out. I really wiish it would have came out so the bezel would be the same color but what can ya do. I really appreciate the info in this thread. Without it, I would have never even thought about attempting this. Quick question though. Has anyone attempted to run a 14500 in one of these? I understand its a 5-10 dollar light but I'm not seeing the advertised 300L. What batteries are you guys running in these lights?

[​IMG]

6. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I have a regular Rayovac AA in there as a placeholder. I have a set of 14500 batteries and charger on the way. I'll post comparison shots when I get them. :)

MWDP and Cornholio2188 like this.
  7. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

well the lumens advertised are not those a scientist would be able to measure. my impression is that the manufacturers of these SIPIKS/clones do have VERY different setups. packaged, unpackaged, different brands lasered on the lights, some DOA, some in good condition, some with 2 modes, some with 3 modes. the lumen capacity depends on the electronics used there & i guess there will be a lot of variation too... so 300 lumen is.... marketing (?)....i guess.

Cornholio2188 and kikaida like this.
  8. tater262

tater262 Loaded Pockets

I tried it out on a blue mini mag. 40 minutes on hi broil. No change in color. Dang it.

9. tater262

tater262 Loaded Pockets

I tried it out on a blue mini mag. 40 minutes on hi broil. No change in color. Dang it.

mooshisho likes this.
  10. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Yeah-I think we're all pretty curious to see this! Thanks Quix!

11. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

;)

12. Cornholio2188

Here is a nice site with examples of some of the lights this will work on.

13. Cornholio2188

Love some of the fades people did with torches^^ *hint* *hint* ;)

14. Cornholio2188

Oh, and you guys-another tip...was looking for the actual type of mask they used...
    You can do camo patterns by masking up the lights with tape, shooting a pattern with oven cleaner, removing the tape, and throwing it in the oven....

Not really sure what color lights this is best for...but I guess if anyone's willing to give it a shot-PICS PICS PICS!! :p

15. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

...Well I do have another Sipik in the mail... :)

OreoGaborio and Cornholio2188 like this.
  16. Cornholio2188

So another question to all you Light Broilers-
    How has the new color made you feel? :p
    Do you find yourselves holding your orange/golden lights in your hands, whispering "Myyy precciouussss" until you get caught by a roommate/parent/spouse?

Ok-enough being the weirdo. I've found myself wanting to EDC this light daily. I have some good lights, but I want to use my favorite baked light. It's unique, it's mine, but most of all, it's purrrdy.

In the words of Brick Tamland: "I love carpet....I love...desk...I love lamp baked sipik" *Puts mayonnaise in toaster* (with sipik)

mole likes this.
  17. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I find myself playing with my sipik more than my Eagletac. My eagletac goes out during the day with me because of the size, but at home, the Sipik gets all of my attention. :)

18. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

i have tried my luck with a DOA SAIK and i must say i am pretty amazed by this baking process. my next 3 SIPIKS are on the way and i really look forward to try baking a golden one ... and however this will come out it will too be my precioussssssssssss :) thanks again for giving me/ us all this great idea!

kikaida and Cornholio2188 like this.
  19. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Apparently they'll turn to gold if they're baked long enough, going from some of the links Cornholio has been linking to. So maybe just keep it in long enough. I'm not sure how Doric got his to gold in less time than it took me to get out of the "dark chocolate brown" stage. He must have one of them fancy super-powered broilers. :)

20. Cornholio2188

Haha, all I did was share an experience! There's been people doing this for years-but just no write ups. I can't take credit, but I will take high fives! :D