1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sipik 68 Baking (heat coloring)

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Cornholio2188, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Today I decided to try my hands at some simple colorization of my dull, black Sipik 68 clones, which are 3 mode, 300 lm adjustable zoom flashlights.

**Be warned-the OG sipiks and some of the clones have the lens glued in. If you want to remove them, you'll have to find a way to loosen the lens. So far I have no tips on how to do this**

After results:
    [​IMG]

These lights are pretty awesome. 3 modes-low, high, and flash (deterrent), and the adjustable zoom is the best part. Super bright as well. There's been a ton of reviews-so I'm not going to get into that right now.

**This was done by me once, an amateur, with just about no experience modding anything-please do this at your own risk.**

So basically this will work with any aluminum flashlight-but just research before you start taking it apart. I would recommend using only these lights for these particular instructions, since other lights may require some extra steps and parts-which will cost you more time and money.

The colorization (lightening of the color), I believe, happens with the breakdown of certain elements in the aluminum, if I'm not mistaken-and is very similar to the heat "anodizing" that is done on titanium. The black painted ones seem to have a wider range of coloring, so it may be the paint that is actually reacting with the aluminum, and not just the aluminum itself. I can't really give a proper explanation-I can just tell you it works. ;)

The most difficult part of this process, which I can tell you is incredibly easy, is actually disassembly-which takes all of about a minute.

You'll need:
    A light (Sipik 68)
    One oven :p
    Small pair of scissors (I used a LM squirt-any kind should work)
    Aluminum foil

The light breaks down into a few components-mainly the tailcap, just gona call it the lens bezel, zoom bezel, main body, and pill.

Keep the boxes and bubblewrap that comes with the lights for safe keeping of the spare parts.

Unscrew the tailcap (where you put the battery)-don't have a picture...sorry! You'll find it! It's the part with the clicky. I have faith in you ;)

Turn it around
    [​IMG]

Next, just go ahead and unscrew the "lens bezel"-the part with the tactical striking thingy, and it should come right off.

[​IMG]

Push the lens down, and it will pop out.
    [​IMG]

This should be the next part exposed on the bezel...give the knurled part a twist counterclockwise a bit,

then put the scissors in the notches in the pill housing:
    [​IMG]

Carefully turn counterclockwise, and it will unscrew, and pull both parts off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It should look like this:
    [​IMG]

Lay all parts flat on aluminum foil and make small (walls).

I put mine in the oven on the highest setting for broil (on aluminum foil), about half an hour and ended up with this:

[​IMG]

I had 2 more in, which I took out at this time^ since I liked the look...but the longer you bake, the lighter the color.

Finished results
    [​IMG]

Left 2: 30 minutes high broil, Right 2: about 50 minutes high broil

And there you have it! A nice bbq light! like that seller on Amazon should have NOT said.

With my EDC:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking! :D

2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

THAT IS FLIPPIN' AWESOME! :D Great job!

SAKplumber, stax and Cornholio2188 like this.
  3. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

The lighter ones look lovely. Well they all do but the lighter ones are more striking...

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  4. Ogre

Ogre Banned

woah......that looks sweet. just baked as is? didnt add extra coating? the paint turned that color? i dont understand, but now i want to bake my flashlights

5. misterS
    • In Omnia Paratus

misterS EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ok, that's pretty darn cool....well done!!!:) Never heard of baking flashlights before.

6. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

I see a lot of flashlight baking going on now....

our significant others are already irritated about how many gadgets we buy, now we are occupying the oven

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II

Cornholio2188 and misterS like this.
  7. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

That's wild!!!

Funny thing is, I betcha that method wouldn't work on "good" HA-III anodizing. CHeers for cheap crappy anodizing! :D

Kripto and Cornholio2188 like this.
  8. lekvar

lekvar Loaded Pockets

I didn't think I could like my Sipik any more than I already do...

9. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

I tried it on a Fenix E01 - it doesn't work like the one above, just kinda burns to a greyish gold.

10. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I'm totally going to do this when my Sipik comes in the mail. Thanks for the idea. :)

11. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I wonder if there's something else you can put onto it to get color variations during the baking process. :confused: I don't know much about this stuff, but it looks pretty sweet.

12. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

Just bought one! This is really cool and I want to try this.

13. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

tried it and checked after 20 minutes; no color change...? mine is in a toaster oven at the moment, but I didn't think that would make a difference...

14. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

What temperature does a toaster oven get up to, anyway?

15. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Two thoughts. Does it effect the durability of the finish? Would you be able to achieve a similar affect with a propane torch? I'm seeing lots of possibilities here.

16. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

That's easy: there *is no* durability to the finish, so this can't make it much worse.

Moosh posted a pic recently of her (IIRC) 9 month old SIPIK, and half the finish is gone. It's not hard anodized, it's just a cheap "type II" anodizing, about as durable as Krylon spray paint.

Cornholio2188 and mooshisho like this.
  17. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Right here. :oops: Of course, that one went through traffic in the summer. xD

The white parts in the grooves are actually filled with drywall from when I did demolition in Jersey. But the rest of it (outer parts) are scratched off from the aforementioned run in traffic.

18. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

{EDIT:]

Dont' get me wrong, the SIPIK is a pretty great light, but like a lot of inexpensive Chinese lights, they cut costs in the finish. HA-III hard anodizing isn't exactly cheap, and unless you're working in a corrosive environment, aluminum does a pretty good job of protecting itself by forming a surface oxide. Might not be pretty, but it works.

19. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Adding on... I don't know if it makes any difference, but mine is the single mode light. I know there are clones out there, so yeah. Just throwing that out. :)

20. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Well yeah, it's not the most durable finish. I guess the question should be will it come off any faster.

Maybe should get out an old maglite to play with.