1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Single-Wing Wingman

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by babola, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

American Alox!!! Leatherman would be crazy not to market one of these!!!

powerring, SMAJ and FL Woods Bum like this.
  2. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

Sweet thanks! Definitely a project for another day! Thanks again, appreciate the details!

3. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the pics!
    Grinding a bit off the spring is definitely a bad idea, as would be any frame modification because it allows tool wobble

I have three more sidekicks, I think I'm going to try a variation on removing this danged small serrated blade (I hate it now that it cut me deeply in the knuckle, I think it hit a nerve too)
    ITS IN THE BONE...itttttsss in the BOOOONEEE
    [​IMG]

Might lose the lanyard thing too. Probably get a stainless spacer for back end. All I really need is Phillips, Large & Small Flat, and knife (well don't really need it but can use it for dedicated tasks)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

docer and FL Woods Bum like this.
  4. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Happy to help out.. and just in case I wasn't clear on what I did, I didn't touch the spring on my mod. I agree 100% that messing with the spring would remove much needed tension on the tools.

BTW, greatest fight scene ever!

"I didn't know the Wachuchi's were biters!!" - Ace Ventura

ShadowE likes this.
  5. cowboyarcher

cowboyarcher Loaded Pockets

I got my Sidekick thanks to some help from TH Cone! I might add some Wave scissors and call it good. I see that you can get some on fleabay for $20 with some other parts. . .

Also, anyone tried to do this with the scissor side of the Wingman? Seems like it would make a decent, TSA friendly tool!

dao, T.H.Cone and FL Woods Bum like this.
  6. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I actually mentioned I am going to try that mod in the Leatherman Mod thread, but honestly, I would be surprised if TSA would be cool with it. My Donor Wingman has not arrived yet. We will see. Let us know how it turns out if you do it first!

mole, dao and cowboyarcher like this.
  7. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

that is so cool, like if LM made a swizz army knife.

dao and FL Woods Bum like this.
  8. danilo

danilo Loaded Pockets

It is a great idea and a great final result!
    In the Europe those tools aren't as cheap as in the US, so it probably not something you'd do for saving some money (a victorinox with similar tools would be cheaper...) but it's definitely making me wanting to do something similar!

I think you should be proud of your work!

Danilo

dao, FL Woods Bum and AK Adventurer like this.
  9. cowboyarcher

cowboyarcher Loaded Pockets

Tried to do the TSA friendly Wingman, but the scissors are not compatible with the lock in the longer handle. . . I suppose you could do that short handle, but I think it'd be fairly cramped.

dao, FL Woods Bum and T.H.Cone like this.
  10. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Noticed this thread about an hour ago. I have a Wingman that I never really use and never really liked. But.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I didn't have any scissors from any donor models. I didn't have any Security Torx bits that would allow me to "borrow" one from any featured on models in my collection. I really like it, though. Aside from figuring out where the washers go for proper alignment, opening and removing the mentioned rivet spring.....it was really easy.

mole, C.Boland93, babola and 7 others like this.
  11. Kryptonian

Kryptonian EDC Junkie

Lorenzo, WichitaJLJ, babola and 8 others like this.
  12. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

dao and Kryptonian like this.
  13. danilo

danilo Loaded Pockets

it's a great thing that they've used screws on those tools, these mods are awsome!

FL Woods Bum, Kryptonian and dao like this.
  14. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I started my Sidekick version. I have one more phase to go, but I thought I'd put a comment or two up. I aimed to keep the spring for tension on the screwdriver blades. Not being as skilled (nor probably as patient) with sanding and filing as FL Woods Bum, I found it to be a bit of a process. First, I tried to shortcut it by clamping the pliers head to the blade to use it as a template to reprofile the back of the blade:[​IMG]

and, while I did an over-hasty job, I think it worked all right. You may notice the blade is clamped upside-down in relation to how to should have been, but I don't think that was my mistake.[​IMG]

This was my mistake.
    [​IMG]
    I used the first blade as my template for the second rather than using the other side of the pliers head. I also filed a little aggressively to take out more material from the stop, since the first tool was canted quite a bit forward when opened. The result: when both blades are installed, there is less clearance between the closed tool and the spring than the opened tool and the spring, and the tool does not hold open, but has quite a bit of play.
    [​IMG]

When both drivers are opened together, the spring holds them open just fine.
    [​IMG]
    At first I despaired a little, but I have since thought of a solution. I'm going to split the spring with the thinnest dremel wheel I can find so that it tensions each tool independently. I'll need to add a bronze washer in between to align each tool with the split spring, and use different spacers outside to make room. Here's the before shot; when I get some washers in, I'll finish it up and show how it works out.​
    [​IMG]

KODIAKman, dao, AK Adventurer and 3 others like this.
  15. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Confession: I spent like 2 hours trying to get a pair of Scissors from a "Fuse" into my Single-Wing. Just wasn't enough room and everything was too tight. Finally I looked and read "Wave Scissors" and was like "They can't be different." And I checked. They are. Wave's are much thinner and I felt like an idiot.

mole, dao, MTFatboy and 2 others like this.
  16. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

I read this for the first time today and had to do it. I had the sidekick but never needed most of whats on the tool.

I whittled it down to just what i needed. Knife and 2 screwdrivers.

[​IMG]

dao, MTFatboy and FL Woods Bum like this.
  17. USMA_Hopeful

USMA_Hopeful Loaded Pockets

A few months ago, my best friend (also a member here) showed me this thread because he found the idea pretty awesome. We both liked it but I didn't think much about doing it myself. At least that was until last month. One evening I went with my girlfriend and some friends from a Bible study to a hockey game, and thinking nothing about supposed safety concerns, carried my entire normal EDC with me. Lo and behold, at the front door were security guards, and rent-a-cops with metal detectors. The instructed us to empty our pockets of everything and lay it out on a table. Well, I did... my Delica, Pioneer, ST300 and all. The rent-a-cop attending to me was not very thrilled and told me that I could either throw it all away or take it back to my vehicle. I wasn't about to throw away $200 worth of equipment, so I ran half a mile back to my vehicle and put it away, and nearly lost my wallet in the process. I went back, they let me through, and everything was fine and good. But, later that night, I remembered this post and the gears started to turn. In the end, I basically did the opposite of what this post shows, and I ended up with this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you fellers enjoy.

Water-Rat, mole, C.Boland93 and 10 others like this.
  18. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Not bad, USMA_H...not bad at all :)

USMA_Hopeful and dao like this.
  19. jmoffatt

jmoffatt Loaded Pockets

I bought a new wingman because of this thread, it was worth it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Water-Rat, babola and MTFatboy like this.
  20. TheMechanic

TheMechanic Loaded Pockets

One word...
    "Astounding"

babola and MTFatboy like this.