1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Single-Wing Wingman

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by babola, Dec 12, 2014.

1. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

What? I am being nice. I am definitely pro "value MT" and I do carry a Wingman every day despite having other, arguably better, options. I also really appreciate the ingenuity involved in going single. I get it.

What I don't get is wasting so much time and money hot rodding one that you could have bought a case of Waves. The guy in the video went overboard in my estimation, but, hey, I guess that's what genius does sometimes.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Dec 31, 2014
    FL Woods Bum and SMAJ like this.
  2. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

I agree. Thats why I went with the more economical choices for modding...and I figure if I don't like it, I will end up with at least one complete MT and I won't be out a fortune!

T.H.Cone and FL Woods Bum like this.
  3. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

GM.. I am tied up with a few things today, but when I get back tonight I will shoot over some pics.. You are going to be tied up with your new knife anyways! :p

4. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I am just messing with ya! I don't know why he went through all that for that one tool other than some comments about him liking the pliers better.. either way I agree that sometimes genius does the strangest things and learns things from the experience that we would never consider. That and sometimes people just put $50,000 into a Yugo. ;)

T.H.Cone likes this.
  5. comis

comis Loaded Pockets

I like the creativity that goes behind the 'halfwing', and it is a cool mod.

But if I could be a devil advocate here, I would suggest people not to buy a LM just to take it apart to make a 'half-x'. The main attractions for LM plier-based MT are the OHO function and the pilers, otherwise, for non-pilers based MT, I think Victorinox is really the king(excellent price/performance, dozens(if not hundreds) of configuration, great edge retention, better QC, etc).

Moco and dao like this.
  6. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I can certainly agree that Victorinox has done a great job of making keeping their knives at a good price point for what you get. With that said, I like having options, and I have never had a SAK that I was as happy with as I am with this mod so far. I have been carrying it daily since I made my first one and I absolutely love it. Everything from the all stainless construction, to the pocket clip, the locking blade, and the tool set. Frankly, the LM 420HC blade has about the same edge retention doing my normal cutting tasks as the SAKs I have owned in the past. With that said, I am currently upgrading the blade to an S30V blade, something I cannot do so easily on the SAK. I would respectfully counter that the Sidekick/Wingman pliers are priced/placed in the perfect position for mods like these as they are the entry level LM tools and this is just one way to get more for your money out of them. Just my 2 cents.

dao and SMAJ like this.
  7. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

I am not that happy with how the flat & Phillips came out on mine. I carefully modified them, bit by bit but several different areas of the back have to be ground down, and if not done just right the screwdrivers won't open straight.
    I ended up popping the rivet tension strip & grinding it down a tiny bit & reattaching but the have play now..
    Plus they are kinda hard to get out when you have tools on that pivot side.
    On a related note I have a one hand opening saw blade only now, even if it is for a lefty :)
    Ok Leathermans, get on your CNC machines and make this work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  8. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

and I have a really short pair of pliers (which I actually have a use for!)

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  9. iangineer

iangineer Loaded Pockets

When I was building mine up (before deciding to abandon the idea) I was going to keep the screwdrivers' "retainer" with the built in back spring. I was thinking of using a Dremel or similar tool to cut slits in the exact places needed to install that retainer into the handle (exactly how it is installed on the other end) after drilling out and removing the pliers back spring. To me, that seemed like the most direct approach because it wouldn't require modding the tools, just cutting slits in the handles that wouldn't affect anything if I wanted to reassemble the tool back to stock. What ultimately kept me away was drilling the rivet on the back spring. Once you do that, you're committed, haha.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  10. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

I stuck a flat head in there & just pried it up & off. I was able to completely reuse the rivet afterward :) (just for others future reference)

iangineer and FL Woods Bum like this.
  11. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

If I did not know better, I would think its meant to be like that. It looks like a folder knife :p

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  12. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

It does become a neat pocket knife, there is no doubt there. I hate I modded the Phillips & Flat, I probably should have just replaced tools on the other end

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  13. iangineer

iangineer Loaded Pockets

ah, cool. Might revisit this then!

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  14. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

I meant to post the pic of their "sale" item last year (2013 that is), it came with the Croc (mostly useless piece of steel)[​IMG]

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  15. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Ya just "lever it" off carefully. The peened down metal will re-bend up. Tap it out through the hole and it will straighten it some. Put back through hole, set on vise, lay the spring over it and tap it down with small flat head until it seats. Then use a punch with a tip like so:[​IMG]
    (Or just use the flat head if you are comfortable) or use a rivet seater if you happen to have one :)

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  16. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

and that mother effin small serrated blade just bit my knuckle :/

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  17. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Here you go Sis, the pics I promised!!

It didn't take me long to figure out the pattern to cut, the main thing was removing the tools a few times to get the notch cut deep enough to allow the tools to line up with the handle. There is definitely some fitting to be done as you cut those notches so they line up.

See pics below, these work with the spring still in place providing tension and are reasonably straight with handle. I have my tension screw tightened just to the point where the tools (knife and screwdrivers) don't fall out on their own and I am able to open everything normally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Number_V, kensington and SMAJ like this.
  18. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

So the one on the bottom is the 'before' pic and the one on top is after?

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  19. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

Oh and what tool did you use on the dremel?

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  20. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

The bottom is definitely the stock part and the top if the modified part. I used a belt sander for removing the material around the pivot itself, and then used the dremel with a wide cutoff blade to cut the notch so that the tools lined up straight when opened. When I was done I used a brass wheel on a buffer to clean up any rough edges, etc..

SMAJ likes this.