1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Single-Wing Wingman

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by babola, Dec 12, 2014.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Did you complete this "mod" for us? ;)

Do you like it?

Nice job!

ManVsLawn and T.H.Cone like this.
  2. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

This is super cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for a cheap Wingman to take apart.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I had two Sidekick's sitting around that I recently picked up for $18 a piece on sale. I followed your lead and here is what I came up with using a Sidekick instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ordered an S30V Charge/Wave blade from TXtoolcrafters for this mod. I believe that with a small grind and potentially a bushing, I will be able to replace the 420HC blade from the sidekick.

[​IMG]

Edit: I originally said "shim" and meant "bushing".

Last edited by FL Woods Bum, Dec 16, 2014
    C.Boland93, LordByron, SMAJ and 9 others like this.
  4. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

Very cool mod! I've always wanted to do that with a Charge Tti, like leave just the Ti scales, the liner lock and the blade, but at 100€... :rolleyes:

ManVsLawn likes this.
  5. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I love my TTi Charge, but the Sidekick/Wingman is definitely slimmer and slightly shorter. With $18 for a donor tool and $24 for an S30V blade, I am at $42 for a tool I think I will like better (because of it's size) than I would if I did this same type of mod to my Charge.

ManVsLawn and Gilatabar like this.
  6. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

True! I might order a Wingman to play around soon :D

ManVsLawn likes this.
  7. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

+2 You did an awesome job on it OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMAJ, ManVsLawn and FL Woods Bum like this.
  8. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

babola ...

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this mod. I have been carrying this thing around all day and I am pretty excited. I have long ago banned SAKs from my house and wanted a US Made alternative with a belt clip and hopefully a locking blade. Ta-DA! I will keep posting my adds/subtracts to this mod here so this thread stays alive. I have another Sidekick waiting to be played with.

SMAJ, ManVsLawn and MTFatboy like this.
  9. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Can I ask why? :)

BTW, and I hope I'm wrong for the sake of your mod, but IIRC the Wave/Charge etc pivot dia is bigger that the Wingman/Sidekick... That blade you got might not fit.(at least, without a bushing in its pivot hole) Like I said, I hope I am remembering wrong:unsure:, but figured I'd FYI anyway.. :)

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Yeah, I said "shim" earlier, I meant a bushing. :) We are on the same page, I am expecting the pivot hole to be larger on the new blade based on a post I remember from a modding site some time ago. I already have a stack of copper and brass tubing I can use for the bushing.

The banning of SAKs from my house goes back to HERE.

T.H.Cone and AK Adventurer like this.
  11. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Aha! OK, gotcha! Glad you'd thought of it, I'd have hated for you to invest that much in that blade and not get to use it. ;)

And its funny, I realize I had close to the same idea once and never did it because of the hole sizes... Never thought to just make a bushing for the blade until my post above! I might have to go back and re-visit some multi mods I abandoned, see if they're still things I want to do..

Ah, yeah, I remember now.. :cool:

ManVsLawn, ran23 and FL Woods Bum like this.
  12. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your kind words FWB, glad I started a spark ;)

Looking forward to your further mods, cheers!

ManVsLawn and MTFatboy like this.
  13. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Just a word of advice, I'd suggest you measure Wave PE blade first as I believe it is a little too thick and too long to fit in the Wingman/Sidekick cavity comfortably.

And yes a shim will be a must, but you already know that ;)

ManVsLawn likes this.
  14. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I Don't think that I could go without EDCing a multi tool either, good mod this but personally I wouldn't want to be without pliers.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  15. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

This is brilliant. I have 2 wingman's and would definitely try this out

ManVsLawn likes this.
  16. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Thanks for the concerns, but I already have a Charge TTi so I lined the blade up against the Sidekick before ordering. :) Short of removing the blade from my current Charge to hand test it, I am not too worried about it. It was $24 and will be a spare part for my Charge "worst case scenario". I am also not opposed to re-profiling the end of the blade if needed to shorten it some. We will see. :) I had it sent out regular mail to cut on costs, so when it gets here I will post pics.

AK Adventurer and MTFatboy like this.
  17. Mr. Gadget

Mr. Gadget Loaded Pockets

You should sell these. I would buy one in a heartbeat. I love this idea and may have to make one.

From the pockets of a 17 year old prepper

18. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Haha, thanks :D While not bad, it's far from perfect, the tools at the top pivot do not lock, not an issue for most but some pickier folk could find this distracting enough to put them off the whole idea.

Cheers!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  19. valhalla

valhalla Loaded Pockets

I had never seen this one before. Very nice! Thanks. I did this tonight with two I had. Exactly like yours without the scissors. I'd like to have them but didn't have any other than from a squirt and on a Skeletool CX that I'll carry to my grave. The scissors from the other handle of a Wingman couldn't be modded to fit with my tools (a cordless Dremel and and a Skeletool) or probably not at all for this mod. I used another flat head screwdriver from the spare Wingman that'll be ground ind either a scraper or mid-size flat head. Anyway, theorizing aside this was great fun to do. Thanks again!

You folks thinking you can't do this should try it as the investment isn't bank breaking for most. It's an odd mod that all the parts would match up so easily for something that appears to be a drastic change and kinda is... in appearance only. Technically it's fairly easy. It all fits. I did have to remove a bit of metal to get the screwdrivers to open all the way but that was an easy Dremel trick. The hardest part is trying different washers to get a good fit and still have things open properly but that's more patience than anything. You can get it to work. It's so small and cheapish but offers so much while remaining safe to use. Wingman pliers are icky anyway....lol.

When it comes to modding there are those who lack skill and those who lack imagination. Those who have a lilbit of both mod....That's about all of us in some fasion or another. :)

SMAJ likes this.
  20. valhalla

valhalla Loaded Pockets

It's a great tool when used for what it's meant for. You go Wave/Spirit/Surge/Powerlock kinda crazy on any Wingman your at risk of breaking the tool or your skin with pointies.