1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Single use packaged medical supplies.

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by IThinkTooMuch, Nov 8, 2014.

1. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

Most of the medicines in my disaster kit either just expired, or are about to. I need single use packages of alcohol, iodine, and insect sting wipes, antibiotic ointment, burn cream, and an irrigation syringe. I also need carded/bubble packaged Tylenol, Imodium, Aspirin, chewable Dramamine, and charcoal.

If I try to buy these at the market or drug store, it's going to be expensive. Is there a cheaper place to order these from?

2. Jerry L

Jerry L EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can send you some syringes for free if you pm me your adress.

3. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

I just go to walmart and buy a basic first aid kit. They have one for under 5 bucks that has an icepack, its own case, and plenty of bandairds, tape, and such. For 88 cents there I can also pick up a small tube of antibiotic cream and burn gel that easily fit in the same case. Same for Tylenol, Imodium and aspirin. Less than a buck and I can buy blister packed generic brands of all of them.

As far as the syringe goes, they don't go bad, they just lose their air tight seal eventually. No need to replace it.

4. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

Chinook Medical

Stormstaff likes this.
  5. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

My own opinion is that antibiotic cream and burn gel is useless in a disaster kit.. Both can be replaced saline and if you get a burn or cut, what really matters is flushing it with clean water is what makes a real difference.. Stock up on water and 20ml saline pods, you can find those on ebay really cheap..

bigfoot and VinceRN like this.
  6. IThinkTooMuch

I found an e-tailor called firstaidproductsonline that's comparable in prices to Chinook. IRT burn cream and antibiotic ointment, I already have plenty of water (I keep a 5 day supply), but two ofhe three scenarios I'm planning for (major wildfire, widespread loss of utilities, and 6+ Richter scale earthquake) are going to result in a reduction in available medical services. Pain and infection control are things I have to plan for.

thekapow likes this.
  7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

50% of the posts here have been removed for violating Rule 15.
    As a reminder...here it is:

Thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by thePlumbah, Nov 9, 2014
    AK Adventurer and thekapow like this.
  8. IThinkTooMuch

Since a lot of information was lost with the deleted posts, I'm going to repost some stuff without violating rule 15
    Amazon was mentioned for boxes of individually packaged medicines
    Redflare was mentioned for individual packets. I will be ordering from them for future resupplies.

thekapow likes this.
  9. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

There is a thread here somewhere with a detailed discussion of expiration dates. To quote the great Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what you think it means."

Expiration dates have nothing at all to do with safety or efficacy. They have everything to do with marketing. They are completely arbitrary, no science involved. Look into it yourself before you make a decision, there is a lot of good information out there on the subject, but I don't pay any attention at all to expiration dates on most drugs if they are stored properly.

thekapow, thePlumbah and bigfoot like this.
  10. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

I've had good luck with Chinook Medical. There's always Emergency Medical Products, too. And IIRC, Red Flare hails from the Equipped to Survive forum, and he's pretty legit. And of course, the old standby of Amazon.

But by far, my absolute favorite place to get dirt-cheap medical supplies and OTC meds, ointments, creams, etc. is... drumroll... your local hospital's outpatient pharmacy. Some urgent care joints are starting to carry this stuff, too. Yup, you can score a zillion tablet bottle of generic ibuprofen for like $3. Then buy some little craft baggies and presto -- as many little packets of <insert drug> as you want. Combine that with a label maker and/or printer and you are all set for the apocalypse.

Here's a few I did last year. Unless you are passing these things out to complete strangers, there's no reason to worry about how fancy the packaging looks. Those single-use, blister carded meds you buy at the big box store will quickly put you in debt. :eek:

[​IMG]

11. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

If I might ask without sounding totally ignorant, what the charcoal for?

thekapow likes this.
  12. LazerblazeR

LazerblazeR Empty Pockets

Activated carbon (charcoal) is used to treat poisonings and overdoses following oral ingestion.

thekapow likes this.
  13. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

14. photog

photog Empty Pockets

Yes, except that you will need to ingest at least 50 to 100 g of activated carbon to have any useful effect. Typically that would mean drinking a bottle of CarboMix or similar. A few pills (or even twenty) won't be enough.

thekapow, catenate and kertap75 like this.
  15. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Look for a industrial safety supply company where you live. I buy refill boxes for industrial first aid kits that contain 10 individual packaged doses with expiration dates and dosage information printed on the packets. Works out @.20 cents per and I like that if given to someone else, all the info and warnings are there.

thekapow, bigfoot and catenate like this.
  16. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Once again I'm raising this idea: a commercially produced, foil-sealed blister pack with a couple each of, say, generic aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, diphenhydramine, loperamide, whatever else - packaged in a basic matchbook-style cover with indications. All the pill contents of an average FAK in a single blister...

AK Adventurer likes this.
  17. IThinkTooMuch

What you are describing is a first aid kit refill. You can get them through first aid and EMT suppliers.

Two addition bits of information; I found an industrial safety supplier in town, and their rates are good. Also, I consolidated the various kits, so I have enough trauma pads and gauze in one place to supply an ambulance. I still need the least used single use supplies, but I can go with household quantities of the more common stuff.

Last edited by IThinkTooMuch, Jan 21, 2015
  18. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Please show a photo of such a thing;) First aid kits and their refills are loose packages of various meds...
    Actually, I'm getting into Wonderflex crafting and maybe I'll get around to making such a "blister" myself. Still, it will not be foil-sealed and commercially made.

19. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]
    :)

Lorenzo and thePlumbah like this.
  20. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

thanks, I'll be kind of following those contents... ;)