1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Single strap (slinger) backpacks

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Karmakanic, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Belated happy new year to all,

Quick question, I'm looking again at buying a single strap pack, maybe a Vanquest. Is it a left hand shoulder strap for right-handed people and vice-versa, or is there some other factor I haven't thought of?

2. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

For most manufacturers, right handed means left shoulder. Beware that it can be listed as handed or shoulder, and they usually mean opposite things.

3. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

There is really no hard and fast rule for right handed people wanting a left shoulder sling. It depends on how you like to use it. I am a righty and use a left shoulder sling because using my right hand to put the pack on make sense, but then I use my left hand to pull / swing the bag to the front.

Vanquest javalin (which I love) has both shoulder versions and they have a good explanation of the left and right thing on their site.

Good luck and let us know what you ended up with !
    P.K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Check the Kelty website---type Versant Sling in the search box.

5. b yond

b yond Loaded Pockets

I have a Maxpedition Sitka. I'm right handed and the strap goes over my left shoulder. This way I use my right hand to rotate the bag from front to back and if I needed to shoulder something the strap would not be in the way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. Ghostwalker54

Ghostwalker54 Loaded Pockets

I have the Maxpedition Kodiac set up the same way with a few additions of my own in order to keep the Asian, European and Middle Eastern pickpockets out.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

What drove my choice was external water bottle pocket. I like the vanquest but have been living with a maxpedition sitka. Im happy with the choice. But would appreciate the hi vis lining

8. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

The 5.11 Rush 10 Moab is fantastic and has an easily reversible shoulder strap. It has a similar layout, materials and construction as the fantastic Rush 12 backpack, with a very comfortable single strap.
    [​IMG]

ToxicToast, pipey and theclap1 like this.
  9. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Many thanks for all the help & advice.

10. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

have a sitka and a moab10...not that i use it as such but i like that the moab is ambidextrous. on occasion (plane travel) i like to single shoulder and i cant do that with the sitka.

11. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Like others said, it's personal preference. I'm a righty but have always preferred lefty slings (sling on right shoulder). If you're undecided, then try taking any shoulder bag, weigh it down with a typical load and carry it cross shoulder and see which side feels more comfortable to you. Another way - if you snowboard, skateboard, or surf, and you do so goofy footed, then you'll more likely prefer a lefty sling. I'm definitely a goofy-foot so it was no surprise that I preferred a lefty sling.

12. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Oakley makes a nice sling bag: Extractor Sling Pack. I don't own one but they look really promising. Especially if you get it off of US Standard Issue.

13. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Just bear in mind that, depending on your load, and how long you'll be wearing it, a slingpack can be terribly uncomfortable. There's lots of threads/comments on here from people that bought monostrapped bags and flipped them soon after, due to the discomfort caused.

I've used the Maxpedition Monsoon and, whilst I still consider it a cool-looking pack, I couldn't wear it for more than an hour with a light-moderate load, without it causing pain in the shoulder.

LivingUpNorth and gearheavy like this.
  14. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

15. RogueDuck01

RogueDuck01 Empty Pockets

ANYTHING Maxpedition!
    I have a Lunada....Big enough for EDC/GHB....Small enough for EDC/GHB.
    Built like a tank! Extremely customizable!

Myrddraal likes this.
  16. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I definitely love my Maxpedition Kodiak (it's my primary EDC), and I find it quite comfortable for light-to-medium loads. Good organization, too, IMO However, it's a big enough bag to fill to the point where it's pretty uncomfortable. I too, cannot wear mine for very long if it's loaded heavy. Heavy, asymmetrical loads on your back and shoulders will take their toll.

Edit: The Vanquest bag looks pretty cool, though. If I didn't already have the Kodiak, that would be very near the top of my list!

17. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

Been rocking the new Topo Designs Sling for a month and it's awesome! I like the carry a lot better than any of my many courier bags. Also, it's very ambidextrous, taking seconds to switch sides (this is critical to me, as I like to switch shoulders about midday). The one drawback was that it did not come with a cross strap (only been necessary when on the bike), but Topo said they are designing one and will send it to me in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I've made one out of Tom Bihn parts that works well. I haven't used another pack since I got it.

18. GodWeTrust

GodWeTrust Empty Pockets

I bought the Red Rock sling style bag. I really like the bag but hate the sling. You absolutely cannot wear it on one shoulder... It has to be worn sling style or it will slide off quickly. I'm moving back to a backpack style. I figure I can always just carry it on one shoulder.

Moto Z Forced me to do this.

19. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Consider how you want to carry your water, and how important water access is to you. I love the external waterbottle pocket of the Noatak/Sitka/Kodiak series. I liked the layout of my Lunada better and the versatility of the design. But water management made that pack unworkable for me. Adding external water bottle systems messed with the balance too much. The Sitka has been the best of compromises for what I require in a sling bag.

This is what has kept me from the Vanquest slings. They offer a somewhat better add on option this year. But it mounts to the admin pocket for most right handed carry, which is a poor design.

Pick your compromises.