1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Single Stack 9mm Help Wanted

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by balldboy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

I was thrilled to find this and more so that it is a Dash-1.
    IMHO Smith rarely tinkers towards making a better product.

I've heard good things on the Keith load, I'm looking at launching a big bullet moving with determination.
    I have an S&W 66 in 3" and a few boxes of the Fed. FBI 125gr. JHPs if I want speed.

Now on to that pesky 9mm,
    Pete

2. ChopperGuy

ChopperGuy Empty Pockets

Here's a link to the Buffalo Bore heavy 44 Spl loading that duplicated the Keith load.

Buffalo Bore 44 Spl Keith Load

It's not cheap, but there probably nothing walking in north America that would not have a hurt put on it with one of these.

They even publish "real" velocities from the S&W 696.

There are plenty of other light loads available for practice and plinking. Some of hte Cowboy loads available are both cheaper and pleasant to shoot.

You'll love the 696. Mine's a no dash and I was real glad to pick it up.

I wish the new Night Guard L frame 44 Spl didn't have that darn lock on it or I'd own one of them also. I like the new sights for my fading near vision eye sight.

Good luck.

3. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

Zoiks at that price, I'm thinkin' one box, fire 3 5 shot groups to sight in and get the feel of it, then stick the rest of the ammo in Speed Loaders...for zombies.

20 years ago a buddy bought an S&W 29 that came with 2 boxes of specials, he was EXTREMELY unhappy with the light recoil and only shot 10 rounds. I gotta see what I can tradle him...

Now I have to buy; speed loaders, holster, Win. brass, and some hard cast boolits so Hop Sing can start pulling the handle.

Pete

4. ChopperGuy

ChopperGuy Empty Pockets

The speed loaders for the Charter Arms Bulldog work in the 696.

I know the ammo is expensive, but you have the right idea. Use a couple rounds to sight in and save the rest for carry. That's what I do.

I've tried to dublicate their ammo performance with reloads, but have not had much sucess at getting those numbers.

One box will last a long time.

5. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

Might have a better chance of finding the Bulldog loaders below retail...thanx for the help.

Pete

6. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Single Stack 9mm...

STI Ranger II in 9mm w/ Wilson Combat magazines -- I love this pistol. All premium parts, no MIM, and incredibly reliable and accurate.
    Kahr T or K series depending on your size preference -- accurate and reliable, but prices have gotten ridicules. A gun that use to run $425 is now $725 plus.
    HK P7PSP - accurate, safe, reliable. - You have to find a used one, but you can get one that is LNIB for $600-$650.

7. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

I've got a Charter Bulldog...love .44 Special. It's like throwing lead softballs every time you touch one off :)

On the single stack 9mm...I've got a Star Model BM. It's a compact all-steel :censored:-n-lock 9 shot that looks sorta like the love child of a 1911 and an old S&W auto. It's a nice little gun, and unlike a lot of other 1911-ish 9mms, the gun is actually scaled around the size of the 9mm round. The all-steel construction does make it one heavy mofo though, and it's been out of production for a couple of decades :p

8. AKS

AKS Empty Pockets

Another vote for the Browning Hi Power here. Not single stack but an awsome
    pistol. My bias is clear given the fact I own 3 of them now. Still have a Browning MK II (built in the FN factory) from my time at Bragg when everyone carried one. All they need is a new hammer to fix the bite issue and you are ready to roll.
    If true single stack is a requirement- small hands or something- then the Kahr P9 might work. I personally wouldn't carry it for self defense due to the many issues they have but they are fun pistols. I had a Kahr P40 for a couple of years that finally got settled in and fed ammo well- not well enough for carry- but sold it to buy another BHP MK III.

9. AKS

AKS Empty Pockets

Also a quick note on S&W's autos. My wife has a S&w 669 and really likes it. Double stack but the older versions of this series (don't know all the model numbers) are single stacks. Her 669 is solid but I have seen failures of the frames as they used a cheap alloy rather than "real" steel in the frame. We paid $300 for it and would buy another if one came along

10. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Gee I thought I was only one that that 3 BHPs, two in 9 mm and 1 in 40 SW. :lolhammer:

Single stack 9s, Kahr, SW 3913, owned two, had to see both to do money needs.

If you can get a good used one a Sig 225. I've seen German Police trade ins lately. Almost dropped the hammer on one, but got a Glock 23 instead.

11. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

J&G has the Sig 225 (P-6?) for sale.
    I applied for 3 permits...seemed excessive.
    Now a friend offered me a S&W 36 3"HB RB and another friend found her father's Colt pre 70 Gold Cup. :woohoo:

At one a month, I'll need to renew one of the permits before the 90 day time limit.

Now the dilema of what to buy... :brickwall: The Smith and Gold Cup are fleating moments and should be jumped on but...if I apply for 3 more permits, the black helos will be circling my house...

Does anyone here have a pre-70 Gold Cup?

I have a Smith 60-3 full lug with adj. sights but this old guy is really neat.

I think the FM Detective topend I popped on my BHP is curing the 9mm itch but not really.

Thoughts???

TIA,
    Pete

12. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

You can only buy one handgun a month?

What state do you live in?

Sounds like a rotten group got that bit of legislation rammed in on ya'll.

But thats why I like Arizona, no limits, you can own anything you want (Fed paperwork accepted) and we have instant checks on the NICS line.
    With a CCW we don't even do the NICS check.

Buy them all. You won't get a deal like that for awhile.

13. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

Corzine left NJ with the one gun gift.

My son just turned 21 so he'll be getting his paperwork in soon.

Wifey used to own a Begian BHP and 4" Colt Diamondback 22lr in nickel but they both were sold when I had Lymes disease.

Sadly/fortunately we had enough guns in the safe to sell one or 2 a month and keep the bills paid.

Not sure I'll ever find a Remington 40X in 6-250 Walker but everything else had pretty much come back.

Enought of memory lane...

Pete

14. gern_blanston

gern_blanston Loaded Pockets

+1. As for holsters, get a Milt Sparks. Great combo.

15. PX

PX Empty Pockets

FWIW:

3rd Gen S&W...

My favorites are the CS9 and the 3913LS.. :)

But I carry my HK P2000sk (V3) daily, and occasionally my P7..

All 4 IMO are excellent choices in a single stack 9....

Jesse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. joejep

joejep Loaded Pockets

I have a Walther PPS. Love it. Fun to shoot, but a bit heavy for office carry. I put it in my bag and carry my Ruger LCP w/ ct laser.

17. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

PX or ethernectar:

If you ever plan on selling one of those P7's, your going post it here first - right ;)

18. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

Got the S&W 696 last night.
    Stopped off at the hospital to plug a hole in my wallet.
    NJ is the worst:
    $75 background check state police, luckily I got 3 permits.
    $2 per gun permit fee municipal
    $55 transfer NICS and sale tax.
    Gun $791 delivered.

This one a month thing is killing me.

PS
    Ole Skool Pachmyer compacts, 6 speedloaders and 5 boxes of hardcast...priceless

19. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

There is a P7 sitting in the case at my favorite range/gun dealer here in Memphis. Asking price $1000. Makes me kick myself for not getting one when all those police trade-ins were available years ago.

My only single stack 9 is my Kahr K9
    [​IMG]

20. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

My only single stack 9 is my Kahr K9
    Is that DAO?
    Pete