1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Single Action Pistol

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by HarryN, Jun 5, 2013.

1. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I say get training as opposed to watching someone, because how do you know the guy next to you on the range is doing it right?
    As with all things "You don't know what you don't know"
    I come from a military background, I received weapons training there.
    I wouldn't dream of stepping onto a range without having a basic understanding of the drills for safe and correct weapon handling for any firearm I was going to shoot.
    This isn't meant to slight anyone, but I've been to a few ranges where the weapon handling was downright scary....

2. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I would NOT recommend a 1911 for a first handgun choice. They're a very quirky system and there are lots of things that can go wrong if you're not sure what you're doing. HarryN has not expressed a desire to invest a lot of extra time learning the associated gunlore invloved in running a 1911 properly, so I'll assume he's a more casual shooter. A 1911 can be a great pistol but I'd advise you to do a lot of research before deciding to go that route.

I'd also avoid derringers for what you're trying to do. They're clumsy, slow to load and fire, and generally tend to have poor accuracy and sights. They're really more of a speciality weapon than a target-type gun. Good ones are also quite pricey for what you get.

The TC Contender is a great target and hunting pistol, but it's a rather specialized beast, and probably better suited toward a serious shooter that can best utilize it's accuracy and caliber-swapping features.

Lever and pump-action rifle conversions are also not very practical. These are more novelty weapons than serious shooters, and they're not very user friendly.

As far as autos go, I'll also agree wit the guys who nominated the Browning Hi-Power and CZ-75. Both are great guns.

But I still think a .38 or .357 revolver would be the most versatile for your needs. Unlike an automatic, revolvers are not dependant on a certain energy level to cycle the action. This means that you can use anything from gentle wadcutters for target practice, to hot +P loads for self defense, to heavy hitting hunting loads for extra penetration. They'll also cycle snakeshot loads if you want to use them.

This ability to fire a wide spectrum of ammo might be the key to helping you master your shooting issues. Revolvers are also easy to do dry-fire practice with. Personally, I know I've spent a lot more time dry firing mine than shooting them with live ammo, but the dry-fire has helped my live-fire shooting a great deal. You can also switch between single action and double action modes easily.

With an auto-pistol, on the other hand, dry fire is a pain in the butt. Single action autos must be thumb cocked for each shot (and they're harder to c-o-c-k than revolvers). Striker fired autos (like Glocks) are even worse; you have to rack the slide to reset the trigger. Double action only (DAO) pistols are the only types that will function like the do with live ammo, and they're generally regarded as having the worst trigger type and feel in automatic pistols.

Automatics that feature a traditional (DA/SA) double action will not behave like they do when shooting actual ammo, they'll function in double action only mode instead. This will NOT help your accuracy out. A lot of people have a really hard time learning to use pistols like this because the switch from double action to single action trigger is jarring.

3. Schapendoes

Schapendoes Loaded Pockets

Another option that I thought of is the Glock 34 this is a 9mm pistol designed for target shooting. The barrel is 5.3'' long and is probably going to have very little recoil. I haven't seen one in any of the gunshops by me but one could probably be ordered for you and will still be far less than $1000

4. JoePfeiffer

JoePfeiffer Loaded Pockets

On the brass bouncing, I always wear a cap when I go to an indoor range for exactly that reason. The brass bouncing off the cap doesn't bug me anything like bouncing off my head would (a young lady of my acquaintance made the mistake of wearing a tank top to an indoor range. One ejected shell caused her quite a bit of extra excitement...).

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

5. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

There are lots of options out there and there have been many good recommendations. My preference for what you are looking for would be a long barreled 9mm with adjustable sights and a SAO action. Normally I'd point you to an STI 1911 in 9mm, but you've got a budget. You have the most flexibility with a 9mm Glock 17L or 34 and that is probably the way I'd go. I'd also invest in some good adjustable sights since it's a range gun. As an alternative, the CZ 75B SA 9mm is an option at a lower price point. Both are fine firearms.