1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Single AAA or 10440 light, just can't find the right one

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by severdhed, Jul 6, 2017.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at reviews, reading these posts, but I just can't seem to find the right light. I've found a few that are close, but just not quite right.

I recently scaled back my EDC loadout, and thus removed most of the heavier items., including my CR123 light that i carried in a belt holster. I need a small light that can be clipped to my front pocket, along with my knife...this limits me to single AAA/10440 lights.

So far, i've started with cheap lights, which could be my problem. I currently own four of these single AAA lights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I started with a Coast G19. It is a well built light. The pocket clip works pretty well, and it has a tail switch, which i prefer over any other type of switch. It is on the large size for this type of light, it is not very bright, and the beam is weird. It is a very focused perfectly circular beam with no hot spot and no flood coverage. I'd like something with more of a broad flood coverage over a spotlight.

Next was a Maglite Solitaire LED. The size is great, build quality is great. It is not very bright (45 lumens i think) and i just can't stand the twisty interface. The lack of pocket clip rules it out as well.

Next i got a cheap $3 light from China on amazon. This thing actually is pretty nice. The size is great, clip is strong, it has a tail switch, and is relatively bright. (i'd guess around 100 lumens). This is the closest i've found to the perfect light. I just wish it was a little brighter.

Most recently, i picked up an Ultratak K18. This was the most expensive of the bunch, coming it at around $20. It is an amazing light. the build quality is excellent. It is IPX8 waterproof. The pocket clip works very well. It came with a USB charger and a 10440 battery. (you unscrew the led portion of the light and screw on the usb charger, not the most convenient, but it works well). It is incredibly bright with a 10440 battery (360 lumens on high, 80 on medium, 5 on low) and decent with a standard AAA (110 on high, 25 on medium, 3 on low). It also has a strobe feature, which i could do without. Personally, I love this light, but the interface is a little clumsy. First of all, it is a side mounted switch, which sucks compared to a tail switch. Also, you have to long press to turn it on and off, with a quick press to toggle modes once it is on. you double click to lock it. If it was a tail switch, it would be the perfect light. then I wouldn't need to lock it. but with the side switch, i have to keep it locked so it doesn't turn on in my pocket. This makes it cumbersome to use, especially if someone else wants to borrow it.

What i would really love is a 10440 light with a tail switch. I'd prefer as few modes as possible, something i just just turn on and off would be great, but i could tolerate a hi/low or hi/med/low. I don't need or want a strobe or sos feature, they are completely useless to me. Ive looked a lot of lights the last few days online but just can't seem to find this.

I'm tempted to try the 10440 battery from my k18 in my $3 Chinese light and see if it can take it, but I don't want to risk destroying it. The original seller on amazon no longer offers them, but i did find some similar units for $7 with prime shipping, so it may be worth while to order another and just give it a shot with the 10440 battery.

any suggestions?

2. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with any of these lights.

Thrunite Ti5 might work for a 1xAAA light with tail clicky.

Lumapower LM21 will run on an unprotected 10440.

Peak Eiger, Eiger Ultra, and Eiger Ultra x can run on 10440s. They have an add on momentary switch, it won't stay on though unless you twist the head I believe. Their lights are very nice looking, but are also much more expensive than other aaa/10440 lights. I believe clips have to be purchased aftermarket from darksucks.

3. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

I have the K18 too. Great output with the 10440. I've had it turn on accidentally twice in my pocket and deplete. Didn't know until I needed it. I worked around it by using small sliver of Gorilla tape to build up a ring by the button. This has worked pretty well so far. Wait a few months and I'm sure another generation of 10440 lights will pop up to address this issue.

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

For approximately four years, the 4sevens PReon ReVo SS was my go-to EDC light.

For the last 6 months, or so, though, a new AAA light has bumped the ReVO from it's EDC duty - the Lumintop Tool Ti.

The Lumintop Tool Ti is a little different in that it uses an electronic switch. It was different at first, but it is fairly intuitive. I thought the mode sequence would be more of an issue for me (M > L > H), but I've found that I just use medium 90% of the time.

I also have the brass Lumintop that Massdrop had made. It's a very nice light and has a better mode sequence for outdoor use ( L > M > H ), but it is also heavier and I hate the smell of brass.

When it first came out, the Lumintop Tool Ti was about $70. I got it for about $37 using a coupon code and waiting for delivery from China. I thought I'd done really well with that purchase. Now, you can apparently buy it from Walmart for less than that and have it shipped to the store to pick up.

Water-Rat likes this.
  5. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

That lumapower lm21 looks like exactly what i'm looking for....unfortunately it isn't available on amazon. (i have an amazon gift card i was planning on using to purchase my next light). I guess i'll either have to hope it becomes available on amazon again soon, or save up some actual money to buy it elsewhere.

I almost ordered the Lumintop Tool a few days ago, it's still sitting in my amazon cart.(regular, not Ti) I doesn't have the brightness of my k18, but looks like a great light.

i also just found the ThorFire PF03 which looks promising as well.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The Lumintop isn't going to blow you away with brightness, but the Nichia version has a beautiful tint and beam pattern. It is tiny, lightweight, and the fact that it is titanium just adds to the cool factor.

7. ballistic
    • +2 Supporter

ballistic Loaded Pockets

If a twist UI isn't a deal-breaker, a Surefire Titan Plus 300 is hard to beat. I carry mine in my coin/watch pocket and run Eneloop Pros in it.

CV801 likes this.
  8. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

the lumintop ti is really nice looking, but i dont know if it is worth twice the price for the titanium, which is something I don't really care about at all.

that surefire looks really nice, but $90 is way too much to drop on a flash light, especially one that doesn't have every single feature i'm looking for. I just really don't like the twist UI.

I'm starting to think that maybe i'm looking at this all wrong. If the perfect AAA light doesn't seem to be available right now, then perhaps i should just stick to the ones i have. While i've been looking, i stumbled across the ThorFire VG15S. yeah, it is bigger than what I was looking for and I'd most likely need to belt carry it, but that may be worth it to have 1070 lumens at my disposal. And I could always carry just my k18 on days where i don't want the extra bulk. This ThorFire looks like a great light for a great price. I can get the light, two 18650 batteries and charger for $30, so I think that is the route i'm going to go with. I've been using microsoft rewards points to earn amazon gift cards and i just happen to have enough saved up to cover the cost of it..maybe until the next time i've got $30 or so in there, there will be a good 10440 option available.

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Streamlight ProTac AAA?
    Great little light and nit too bad price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I've been carrying one of these on a chain around my neck for a while now, apart from when in the shower, it's my 'go to' light basically, it does lead me to more powerful lights if need be but in most cases, the highest output is more than enough I've found.

11. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I decided to go ahead and order the Thorfire VG-15S. It isn't really what I started out looking for, but it arrived today and so far I'm very pleased. I'll hold off for a while in the tiny light and just carry my K18 as a backup.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

12. Ethos
    • +1 Supporter

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you need a Streamlight Microstream 1AAA and if you want more lumens try the 2xAAA. Durable and great switch, extra switches and clips for cheap.

Microstream is $15

Also, you ought to try the Olight i3E EOS 1-AAA. It's 100 Lumens, lasts for 1.5 hours without diminishing, brighter with lithium, clear bright beam. Any color. I love it and have five and each one of my parents and sister have one. Mom wants two or three more.

It is a twist interface light and you would need to steal a clip from one of your cheap lights.

Olight i3E EOS is $10

Neither are even close to junk and I won't go without either. Microstream in my pocket and Olight on my keychain.

dml24 and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. fyrpiper

fyrpiper Loaded Pockets

Manker E02. If you're into angle lights. $20 on amazon. Frickin love mine...

Water-Rat likes this.
  14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'll second the motion for the Streamlight Microstream - one lives daily in my pocket. I also carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro (the 2 x AAA version of the Microstream) in my bag. The other daily light with me is a NiteCore Tube on my keys; bright far beyond its weight plus USB rechargeable.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

15. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

How long has this light been out?! Awesome find!

16. Moshe ben David

I just looked at it on Amazon also. As @jag-engr said, 'awesome find'!

Got a question for you guys though. Essentially Amazon shows two versions. One use a CREE XPG3 emitter; the other version the E02 Nichia-219C emitter. Looks like the CREE puts out more lumens? Possibly other functionality also; I didn't look all that closely. Question is, which one is a better choice? CREE is fairly well known around these parts I guess; first time I saw mention of the Nichia.

Reliability issues? Battery life?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

The Nichia has a more 'natural' tint with better color reproduction.

jag-engr likes this.
  18. Moshe ben David

Thanks. I'd probably never notice -- I'm 'color challenged' = color blind . Yes I see colors. Just not like 'normal' folks!

You should have seen me summer after high school. Got a job in a men's clothing store. Just before Father's Day. Every customer wanted help matching ties with shirts etc. Not surprising they put me in the stock room shortly thereafter! Good Times! LOL

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

BigGreenTick likes this.
  19. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

What BGT said. To my eyes, the natural tint gives better depth perception. I like warm tinted lights, even at the expense of lumens.

I also have to say that my Nichia Lumintop Tool Ti's (both with Nichia LEDs) have the nicest beams I have ever seen. I don't know if this is a primarily function of the reflector, LED, or a good match between the two.

20. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I still think the Klarus ti mix6 is the best looking aaa light out there