1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Simple tube ¼" bit driver?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by HeadedToTexas, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Oh two 'full-sized' (lol makes em sound so big) isnt too bad, especially if that makes the device nice and compact! Please do share your findings once you receive it.

And that these kind of devices are only for light use is logical, the force you can actually apply with any tool works hand in hand with how strong it has been built (thats why you may never extend tools with pieces of pipe and stuff like that unless they are specifically made for that purpose). I'm pretty sure that if i would apply more force on my little bit holder pen than i could with my bare hands that i would peel the aluminium body like a banana.... but thats not what its intended to do anyways ;)

2. ninja.medic

ninja.medic Loaded Pockets

Any word on how that new tool worked out?

3. HeadedToTexas

HeadedToTexas Loaded Pockets

I got it and it's definitely light duty. The tube body feels very light. Good knurling on the grip end though. All in all, exactly what I was after. Also found them without the Kershaw label for $7 on a popular auction site. And Google also turned up the True Utility Mini Driver for $10. Definitely smaller. Worth looking in to.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

After some searching I decide to make my own "Simple tube 1/4" bit driver"

Looked around the local stores and found an "O Wacky Tool" in the fishing section at Dick's. Basically allows you to retain a rubber bait worm to a hook via an o ring. You slide the worm into the hollow tube, roll an o ring down the body of the tube and slip a hook under the o ring. Genius, I like ideas like this, even though I do not fish!!

Main reason I liked this tool is that it is a hollow al tube and cheap. I needed some sort of hollow tube and this fit the bill nicely. Seems like finding raw material like al tube in my area is difficult, and this was already anodized a pretty red color!

After staring at it for some time I decided I would use a standard magnetic 1/4 hex bit holder like the pic shown below:

[​IMG]

I cut the hex portion off with a grinder, and then knurled the holder where it would slide into the o wacky tube. The fit was close and I could have possibly found a bit holder that would be a tight fit, but I could not be bothered to look. I parted the tapered end of the o wacky off in the lathe. This could have been done with a hacksaw but I try to justify having a 16x40 lathe as much as possible!!!

Put some high strength epoxy on the knurling and then pressed the two parts together. I do need to source a black vacuum cap to retain the bits. This cap will slide on the open end of the handle and retain via friction. I will make a trip to the auto parts store this evening and hopefully get lucky. I got an idea to use the o rings as grip enhancers, plus it makes the tool look a little better. I can fit 5 bits in a staggered configuration in the tube, and put a sixth I the holder if desired. I would not put a bit in the holder if I pocket carried the tool. I am happy with the result and price. Less than 10 bucks total and maybe 15mins worth of work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jdindadell

Did not like how the o rings could slide around so I went back to the lathe and cut 10 grooves equally spaced along the tube. The o rings fit in nicely and offer a better grip as well.

Also found a black vacuum cap that partially fits inside the tube, I think it looks better this way plus it keeps the bits from rattling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Westerdutch

Nice work!

For those who want a sturdy higher quality bit-stick you can try and hunt down a Microtech Torx driver (or Tri-wrench if you need those specialty bits).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mind you, it might be tricky to locate one (think its out of production) and its a tad pricey....

WillAdams and SAKplumber like this.
  7. IzzyMcFizzy

IzzyMcFizzy Loaded Pockets

Rather than make a new thread, I figured I would revive an older one relevant my question.

Does anyone have experience using the Kershaw T-Tool and/or the True Utility Minidriver with bits OTHER than the ones they come with?
    I'm looking into either one to carry instead of (or in addition to?) the bit adapter for my SOG Powerlock, for use with a home-sourced bit set I've pieced together. Having the Torx bits with the T-Tool is nice for adjustments to my Kershaw knife, but otherwise something I can live without.

I like that the T-Tool is longer and looks like it would be easier to use. But then, I really like the idea of the slot on the Minidriver for a coin for more leverage (maybe could fit a pocket pry bar?). But the Minidriver looks like it might be a hair too small to use comfortably.

I'm willing to disqualify either/or if they don't retain other brand bits well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. darkpsyche

darkpsyche Loaded Pockets

I have both of them, the Minidriver is a tad bit short to do any useful work alone. I like to pair it with a TU corkscrew and use the rod to give it more leverage. The Nite Ize doohickey fits nicely into the coin slot. The shaft that fits the bit is a bit shallow however, so when using a standard bit it is prone to wobble if too much perpendicular force is applied. (Might be difficult to use when screwing in something at an angle).

The Kershaw shaft is deeper, so a standard bit fits more securely. The additional length of the kershaw makes it slightly more comfortable, but still doesn't give it enough leverage to do any useful work. The quality isn't so great = the cap on my T=Tool retaining the additional bits is jammed, and I can no longer open it (even with pliers).

If you can live without a storage space for extra bits, I find the County Comm EDC key screwdriver to be the easiest to use, the handle provides the grip necessary to provide enough torque for most jobs.

Last edited by darkpsyche, Jan 7, 2016
    WillAdams likes this.
  9. IzzyMcFizzy

IzzyMcFizzy Loaded Pockets

Good to know. Maybe I would get a Minidriver at some point down the line to keep on my keychain, but otherwise I think I'll go with the Kershaw for right now.

My biggest problem with the CountyComm is that shipping, I've gotta spend like $40 to make it worth it lol. But I've been eyeing some stuff, so I'm sure I'll pick one up soon. That and I really wanted something just in a low-profile tube form factor. The EDC key is small, yes, but the handle adds sideways bulk.

I don't really need storage for my bits, as I'm carrying a set separately anyway. I don't expect to do any hardcore work with a pocket driver like that anyway.

Any insight into the Kershaw or CountyComm using the Leatherman bit kit? I'm kind of doubting either would take them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

10. darkpsyche

darkpsyche Loaded Pockets

11. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Well, broke down and bought a Mininch w/ some Christmas funds --- it's way, way nicer than the clone, also much longer. Not sure what I'm going to do, but based on the quality, I'm feeling good about getting a Wrenchit for my birthday (and kind of bummed I couldn't justify getting a Duoket).

The bits had a fair bit of light machine oil on them (but not so much as to egregiously stain the cardboard box) --- one thing which I hadn't fully realized was just how large the thing is. It's quite a bit larger than the clone which I'd purchased off eBay, and the bits themselves are 8mm (rather than the typical 6.35, which makes this off-topic for this thread) and rather long at ~36mm --- nicely machined though, and marked on all 6 sides which is a nice (and surprising!) touch.

And it looks like the Mininch Tool Pen Mini would be on-topic and on-point -- guess I'll have to get one of them too.

Last edited by WillAdams, Jan 5, 2017
    #31 WillAdams, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  12. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

That is a nice looking tool...but 90 bucks...WOWZER.
    I Like this thread, I like the DIY job above

13. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Not quite the same form factor, but the little victorinox kit is pretty compact and functional as well, and you can use the "long side" to apply quite a lot of torque if needed..

[​IMG]

Nick4305, WillAdams and ran23 like this.
  14. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

That tool got a name?

15. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Not totally sure, if you search "Victorinox bit kit" on Google or the evil auction site, you will get lots of hits, there are few different flavors.

WillAdams likes this.
  16. Westerdutch

Oh that sure is one nice compact package! Is that plastic holder of decent quality (no breaking or bits slipping out)?

17. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Be sure to compare it to the PB Swiss / Victorinox bike tool.

18. jdindadell

Thanks for the kind words guys, I do appreiciate it!

After making these items, and not really using them that much, i doubt the value somewhat. I do like the small form factor as they fit nicely into the various slots on organizers and bags.

The victorinox L driver handle with the bit holder shown above is a nice setup, and I am going to order one to try out. My uses of these bits is not really daily, but the extra torque provided by the double ended design would be a big bonus for my uses.

The county comm setup is great, especially for the price. Keep in mind you can just buy the 2 pack of colored T caps and use them with any bit driver, including the leatherman bit extension that will hold leatherman bits and regular bits. Lots of versatility there in a small package.

19. jdindadell

I just ordered a couple of the victorinox L shaped bit holders. I will report back when they show up.

ran23 likes this.
  20. joeyontz

joeyontz Loaded Pockets

This isn't exactly what you are asking for but may be an option. I got this on Kickstarter a while back. It was a whim to promote the company (small USA). But I have actually found myself using it. The key ring allows you to really get a good torque. If you could find someone to drill for you (hardened tool steel) you could build a nice ring with whatever bits you like.
    [​IMG]

Nick4305 and WillAdams like this.