1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Simple Review: CKF Pepyakka 2.0 Spinner

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by maliboo74, Jan 29, 2017.

1. maliboo74

maliboo74 Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

[​IMG]

I picked up my first spinner. Custom Knife Factory Pepyakka 2.0. There were pre-orders from a few months ago and in my opinion the best looking spinner available. I love my CKF PeaceDuke so this was an easy choice for me. Unfortunately, there were problems.

Before video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlIfhXxSA4Vrk7BN0pkn7T51h4G8oQ

The claim was a 2 minute spin time. I managed to get 30 to 60 seconds and it sounded terrible. I did some research on Torqbar spinners and read about proper cleaning. However, this spinner is more complicated looking than a Torqbar so I waited to hear back from CKF. They made similar suggestions about cleaning with water and household "fat removing liquids". I soaked in warm water and Dawn and what a difference.

After video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlIfhXxSA4Vrk7BjCE995Zg-WVoRkg

Easily get over 2 minutes. Cleaning worked great. However, another problem cropped up. During the cleaning I lost all the tritium vials. There is supposed to be one at each tip.

[​IMG]

I notified CKF so we'll see what they say. It's not a deal breaker for me, but seems like a lot of work went into adding those so I'd hate to leave em off.

Anyway, it's a keeper and I'll show it of to my friends for a while so they can laugh at me :rofl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by maliboo74, Jan 29, 2017
    #1 maliboo74, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Nick4305 and Dragunbayne like this.
  2. maliboo74

maliboo74 Loaded Pockets

CKF got back to me. My choices were to pay $31 for replacement vials that I would need to glue back in place or send it back for a refund, including shipping.

I decided to keep it. It's going to need cleaning over and over so the vials won't last anyway.

3. Dragunbayne

Dragunbayne Empty Pockets

It's so purdy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

4. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

That is pretty cool looking!!

5. gdanonym

gdanonym Loaded Pockets

I don't understand why an expencive product is delivered with non cleaned bearings? This is essencial for a perfect working product.

6. bmwboris

bmwboris Loaded Pockets

What would you lubricate the bearing with?

7. maliboo74

maliboo74 Loaded Pockets

Nothing. They run dry.

8. maliboo74

maliboo74 Loaded Pockets

Quick update. I have cleaned this a few more times by soaking in water and Dawn then rinsing and blowing dry with compressed air. I am up to a 3 minute spin time. Amazing.

9. maliboo74

maliboo74 Loaded Pockets

I saw someone's pictures with the 3.0 and looks as though they shipped with cageless bearings. I decided to open my bearings up a little.

[​IMG]

I notice it's slightly smoother and quieter, slightly. Certainly easier to clean like the torqbars.

I am up to a 3:40 spin time!

#9 maliboo74, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Beautiful piece!!

Rinse the bearing with a nice strong cleaning agent/solvent to get all the bearing grease out that cage and after drying/rinsing/heating it you can touch it up with a drop of very fine and thin machine oil (if the bearings start to rust you are out of luck). Is that a 608? If so i really wonder why they would put such a heavy bearing in there.

11. maliboo74

maliboo74 Loaded Pockets

It looks similar to a 608 but the bearings are ceramic.

Needs to be that heavy when I put the air compressor up to it :)

12. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

You do realise that no matter the speed you'll never touch the load rating of that bearing right? Also spinning those up with compressed air is fun but it can also be pretty bad for the bearings, might wanna order some spares (good idea anyways, China makes cheap bearings).

13. maliboo74

maliboo74 Loaded Pockets

I know, just a joke.

14. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

Well, I just have a China-spinner for about 6,- Bucks. And it started to get stiff. So I tried to clean it with several cleaning agents. But I was not happy, so I decided to disassemble the bearing. Cage removed, all balls on one side, so I got the inner ring seperated. Then I claned the rails in the inner and outer case and re-assembled the bearing. I have to say, it took 2 Minutes to get the bearing in its peaces, the re-assembling took about 1-2 hours. The trick at the end was simple handsoap, to keep all the balls in position in the outer recess. Then I was able to position the inner ring and spread the balls around to get the cage back in. After flushing the bearing with boiling water, to get the soap out, the spinner runs good again. It is a simple 55 gramms spinner and it runs for about 3:50 , lying on the table.

maliboo74 likes this.
  15. maliboo74

maliboo74 Loaded Pockets

You can get these Pepyakka spinners real cheap too, from knock off makers, and they spin pretty well, but CKF ain't too happy.