1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

simple keychains Show me your pictures

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by billybeans, Apr 2, 2013.

1. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

I get by with this set up.
    [​IMG]

2. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

3. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

I may end up removing the small key, as I don't use it much these days...[​IMG]

jrandom, Nick4305 and Tony Sal like this.
  4. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

Like that clasp! :)

5. assassin10000

I do too, it's pretty small (smaller than I originally imagined) and works better than I thought it would. Since its so small and light I hardly know its there. Very unobtrusive. These are the 1.26"/35mm versions, I've also ordered the 50mm ones to see if I like them better.

It's nowhere near the quality of a Ronstan, Lewmar or other marine co. snap shackle but for keys it does the job well.

[​IMG]

#365 assassin10000, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Nick4305, jrandom and Tony Sal like this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Just curious. Why did you go with this shackle instead of for instance a S-biner? I use a NiteIze slide-lock (each side with its own slide) S-biner for my keys; for me it works great. Now, I don't have any sort of lanyard on it so the keys just hang loose from a belt loop. I probably could add a lanyard if I got ambitious... I could see where it would be quieter!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  7. assassin10000

I almost did an single s-biner at first, instead I actually got these:
    [​IMG]

But I didn't really like how it ended up working out. The noise/jingling somewhat annoyed me and I prefer not to have things hanging loose. Especially around cars and/or machinery.

The biggest problem is I had is that I preferred to be able to remove it and attatch it one handed, unfortunately the keyrack and/or s-biners at times required both hands. Either due to the 'catch' portion on the hanger catching on the belt loop or when hanging the angle of getting the small s-biners on/off of the hanger.

The small snap shackle is rounded on pretty much every surface and slips in/out of the belt loop with ease. It also snaps shut one handed with no issues at all, just push down with a thumb while a finger is wrapped around it (and the lanyard portion). Having the lanyard is nice as it drops the keys into a pocket, which prevents noise, possibly scratching a car or getting caught on something unexpectedly.

RoadWizard, Tony Sal and Nick4305 like this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Yup. That key rack system would never work for me either. Just seems too noisy and bulky -- I never even seriously considered it.

I'm reasonably streamlined I guess. I actually carry two 'rings'. One stays in a pocket on a Ti pocket dangler; the only true key on it is my house key. I have a few keyring tools on it: LM Squirt PS4; NiteIze DooHickey: a small Ti widgy pryer. I do use a NiteIze #3 Slide-lock S-biner for the other 'set' which only has my car key, car fob, and a Nitecore Tube light. I've never had a problem hooking this on a belt loop one handed; not much metal dangling there so it stays pretty quiet!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal and Nick4305 like this.
  9. assassin10000

Yeah, I only used 3 of the small s-biners for my setup. Even then it ended up being too much noise and a hair too much bulk for what it is. That and having having to fiddle with it more than I wanted to kept me from continuing to use it after a week or so.

I also got a Nite-ize #3 slide lock carabiner to try but it also would catch the belt loop every so often, just often enough to annoy me into not using it.

I even got some keyper style ones that wrap around the belt and you clip your key ring into. Those didn't last a day for me and are gathering dust now.

The snap shackle though, so far super smooth and simple to use. A pull on the release and it falls off and out of my belt loop, and with how it's made/designed it also goes back on with one hand super easy. I'm still waiting on some 50mm ones to try out to see if I like a slightly larger version (if smaller than the black ones I started with) or if I'll stick with these 35mm ones. I'll probably get a 'real' marine piece from either Ronstan (brass) or Lewmar one of these days. These are the experimental ones which I didn't mind wasting a few dollars on to try out.

I've since given both of my first ones away and my friends that got them love them. At least enough to take the time to let me know that they do.

#369 assassin10000, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  10. Xiou-Xiou

Xiou-Xiou Empty Pockets

Keychain thingy I made from titanium stock and brass screw posts. Tumbled for two days with pebbles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Aloxfox

Aloxfox Loaded Pockets

Happy for years with this setup
    [​IMG]

12. Sergiu Tanasescu

Sergiu Tanasescu Empty Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Looks like you are espousing the "2 is 1 and 1 is none" philosophy on the keychain(s)...:cool:

Sergiu Tanasescu and Tony Sal like this.
  14. Sergiu Tanasescu

Sergiu Tanasescu Empty Pockets

You couldn’t say it better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk