1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

simple flat metal car key.

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by bullet08, Jun 6, 2014.

1. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

does anyone know if someone makes a simple flat metal car keys like they used to back in 80's? i'm rather tired of the bulky key with key fob combo thing i have for my car. i want something flat and simple without hunk of plastic at the end.

2. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

That would depend on your car as most cars nowadays need a chip to open doors, start, etc.

3. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Depending on the vehicle, you may be SOL, most recent cars have some form of antitheft chip in the key, no chip = no start.

You can usually get a flat key from a locksmith, and if you're determined enough, you can gut an e-key chip and glue it inside the steering column. Some cars are "too smart" to be defeated though.

Cheers, Ted

4. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

See if they make a "Valet" key for your Vehicle, it will have a chip (Sentry Key) in the head usually with a rubber molded cover but no remote functions and much smaller like the older keys. A good locksmith or Dealership Parts man should have no problem finding one for you

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  5. Tipper_Tom

Tipper_Tom Loaded Pockets

If you have a flip key or a key with buttons you've no hope as usually when you blip the doors it refreshes the code for the immobiliser. Without that code it's no start.

If you have a chip in the key with a standard 18 digit code for the immobiliser then you have two options and with them some issues .

First as others have said gut the key and glue the chip into the steering column.

The issues I see with this are

It's incredibly unsafe as you are basically removing your immobiliser which allows a potential thief to have your car away.

Issue 2 is you need to find a way of getting power to the chip at whatever voltage and amperage the chip requires.

Option 2
    Get a key cut to suit and strip down you existing key but don't the circuitry for the chip etc. Cut the newly cut key and weld the chip key's blade in it's place (after isolating the chip -'d power supply) recess the chip and power supply into the new keys tongue (the bit you hold).

The issues I see with this are

It's an enormous balls ache

It may not work if your welding isn't spot on

You ruin your original key

It's an enormous balls ache

Third option and my favourite

Get a key cut that suits your needs (slim lightweight etc)

Use it only to open your doors. Secrete your original key somewhere in your vehicle and use it to start and drive your car.

The only issue I see with this is the fact that your key is in your car and as a result should a thief break in and find it your car's gone and the thief has the keys which makes selling it on easier.

HTH

--------------------------------------
    Bad planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.

She's not leaking oil she's sweating power

6. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

i carry two key fobs. one for my wife's car which we both use since our kids are attending a school that's rather far away. other is my 09 honda pilot. my wife's car is toyota prius and it's keyless entry, so i have to have the fob. but my honda still have key hold on the door. and i don't bother using key fob attached to the key any more. so it would be so much more convenient if i just had flat metal key then carrying around something that huge and takes up room in my pocket. maybe i'm SOL with that idea.

7. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

the Immobilizer chip in the key head and the rolling code system for the RKE (remote keyless entry) are two separate systems and depending on the vehicle operate separately.

You can use a key in the door lock with only the immobilizer chip and then start the car with it as the lock cylinder has the RFID antenna in/near the column that transmits to the key for its unique code that's stored in the immobilizer module This style key needs no battery. batteries are needed for the remote functions and that system needs a separate code (that changes everytime the button is used ) to open the locks/doors/windows these remote have another uniquie code that's stored in the RKE module which houses the antenna/receiver for the key remotes. every car has a little different setup but keys with factory remote entry and immobilizer systems are two separate systems

8. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

go to a good locksmith of the Honda dealer and ask if they have a key without the remote for a stripped down version of your car or other vehicle that uses the same style key. If your keys have the chip in the head it will have to be programmed but you'll get what you want

9. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Just noticed your second post about the cars being a Honda and a Prius. Sorry about your luck, don't think you have an easy solution. My wife has a 2010 pilot, I hate the key for that thing. I keep it sperate and only carry as needed.

You can go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and they should have a tester to check if you're current key has a chip. If it does not then you should be able to have a new key made for $1-2. You may end up with a big ugly flat metal key like I did but don't worry. The keys are very soft and so they are easy to cut and drill. I cut mine down filed the edges and corners smooth and drilled a new hole to attach it to my keychain.