1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Silencing your keys?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by straightpuke, Nov 16, 2009.

1. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I wear my keychain on a lanyard around my neck and I have a lot of stuff on my keychain including car keys, house keys, car alarm remote, Ladybug, pen, etc. Everytime I take a step the contents on the keychain smack against each other and it gets annoying so that I have to hold it all together with one hand. Does anybody have any tips on silencing their keychain? I've tried using a rubber band but the keys and others are different sizes so they end up making noise still and it's a hassle to take the rubber band on and off after getting in and out of the car. :(

2. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

Police officers have a thing on their duty belts called key silencers. There's a bunch of different types and manufacturers, give it a whirl on the search engines and you'll see.

I have the same annoyance with jingling keys. I took a swatch of extra nylon from an exploded backpack, sized it so it could fold over the complete bunch, sewed up the edges and punched a grommet hole along one edge to fit a split key ring. I attached a velcro patch on the flaps to hold them closed when overlapped. I'm on dial-up (AT&T evilness, no DSL in this area) so pics aren't an option right now. Hopefully my inadequate description gave you an idea, though. The grommet and split ring is to keep the patch from sliding off the bunch.

3. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

I use a velcro computer cable wrap to keep my little used keys quiet. I punched a hole with a hot nail through the cable wrap, threaded that on the keyring, and I just wrap the velcro around the keys I want to keep quiet.

That way you don't lose the cable wrap when you unwrap it to get at the keys.

4. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I wrap a couple of rubber bands around the keys. That way I also have a couple of rubber bands with me. The only problem is they wear out.

A couple of feet of electrical tape could work too (so you could keep some tape with you) but once you unwrap it you would probably lose it.

5. Turtle75

Turtle75 Loaded Pockets

I don't really have this problem, but "Ranger Bands" (Or cut bicycle inner tubes), seem like a simple fix.

6. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning on getting some thin wooden crafting beads and putting them between the keys to give some spacing between them. This would get bulky if you have a huge keyring but I only have 5 keys (two if which are coated with plastic anyways-car key and bike lock key).

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

8. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

I have a police style key carrier. It is only really good if you carry a few keys (just keys) on your chain. I just have mine clipped to my belt loop and tucked into my right rear pocket.

9. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

I used to wrap the top part of my keys with electrical tape and use paracord instead of a key ring. It didn't silence them, but it changed the loud 'jingle' into more of a soft 'clicking'. It's also somewhat temporary as heat and wear and tear eventually turn the tape into a sticky mess. If someone were to use plastic instead of tape they might have better results than I did. Maybe heat shrink tubing over the top portion would work too.

10. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

I got tip from here, but I can't find the thread, or take credit. What I did for my keys was take a the rubber grip from a Pilot G2 pen and pushed them over a group of non-everyday keys. Keys to my parents' house, the Swiss-key, and the PO Box key  bounded together by the rubber grip.

No noise! Less cluttered keys!

11. ricci5

ricci5 Loaded Pockets

heat shrink works about the same, but does not get messy.

12. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

I use the Secure A Key belt clip,I position it so I can tuck the keys into my back pocket. It is quiet.

13. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

Why not post this in the correct keychain section.

14. straightpuke

I used to just clip my carabiner to a belt loop in the back and tuck my keys into my back pocket but now that I have more EDC things on my keychain I think it would be very uncomfortable to sit on.

I thought this would be the appropriate section 'cause I was wondering how to carry all this stuff.

15. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

I have a large bundle of keys, which I suspend from a clip that is attatched to the free end of my wallet (braided) cord.
    I pass the wallet cord beneath my belt, and then hang the keys from the clip and secure with a rubber band. Yeah, I know it's low tech, but it works and the Postman drops all kindsa free key restraints every time I get mail.

16. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

Here is the solution that I've been using for several years and highly recommend:

[​IMG]

It took a while before I learned to quickly invert the cover one-handed, but aside from that it is perfect. The cover is light weight, low bulk, inexpensive, tough, and even looks nice. It keeps my keys perfectly silent and prevents them from scratching against anything else in my pocket. Since the cover stretches it has no problem with my collection of eight keys plus Photon and SOG CrossGrip.

The only place I've found that sells them is here: CellSafe

--Bob Q

17. straightpuke

Awesome! I've been looking for something like this! Too bad they don't make one in black. Once I get the order I'll see how it is.

18. UrbanKathy

UrbanKathy Loaded Pockets

I just ordered 3. Shipping was $4.90. In particular, I've wanted to add my tweezers and mini prybar to my house key chain, but they are both too sharp around the edges to keep in a coat/pants pocket. This looks like it will work. I'll have my keys, prybar, tweezers plus LM Squirt and photon light. Thanks for the link!

19. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

Let me know how they work for you.

I finally replaced a pair that I had worn out over five or six years of daily use. It amazes me that these don't seem to have caught on. They're a great idea.

--Bob Q

20. UrbanKathy

UrbanKathy Loaded Pockets

I'll definitely let you know.