1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Signing for receipt etc., use your own pen or provided pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by jzmtl, Oct 15, 2009.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

very nice; how's it do on flights?

2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I go for whatever is most convenient...

If the cashier has one ready, then it is more trouble to get mine from my pocket and ready it than it is to just use what is provided, and unless I am going to be writing a large amount, I can live with a cheap disposable.
    If they are having trouble finding one, it is not working or I am going to be writing a lengthy amount, then I will go for mine.

3. knivesandguns

knivesandguns Empty Pockets

Always my own pen. :)

4. RollaFool

RollaFool Loaded Pockets

Same here. I appreciate it when people test the pen before handing it to me. I wish more clerks / wait staff would remember that simple courtesy! When I get a dud, then at least I have a backup.

I usually look at the pens and try them out. It's like free samples! But I don't think it's affected my tip... :)

5. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

I always use the pen they provide, but now that I have read this topic, I will consider using my own due to the cold/flu season.

If you think about how many people have touched those pens, it can be alarming to imagine how many different germs could be on those pens. But if you think about things like that too much, you'll go crazy in any public place.

6. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I always use my own, I read an article a while ago that said you will not get sick as much if you use your own pen, so I tried it and think it works. I am no germ phob, but people do gross stuff with pens, chew them, scratch "hard to reach spots", pick their nose, clean there ears, etc. I am good with my own pen.

I also agree with the, I carry it, might as well use it theory mentioned. When I use my card I take the pen out right away. The cashier usually doesn't even hand me one.

7. lovecraft47

lovecraft47 Empty Pockets

My own, always. I usually carry several, so it makes sense to use them. And, from a germ perspective, it's a safer choice.

8. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

Like I have posted before, I carry the phone case now that is picture below. I have a mini-G2 pen in it and use this every time I sign for anything. For health reasons obviously.

[​IMG]

9. dejthmonk

dejthmonk Empty Pockets

Always use my own. At first i felt the same "what do they think?" then i got over it with practice. I mean thats what it is sometimes, part of EDCing is remembering you have the tool(whatever it may be) and to use it when possible. Self sufficient! Plus my pen usually works better and thats why i bought it. When you need a pen to work EVERYTIME trust the space pen!

10. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I use the one provided.

Come to think of it, I'm a bit of a germophobe so I should probably use my own.

11. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

I just use my own...its easy to grab since its hooked to the corner of my front pocket...

(btw, this is my first post)

12. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I'm lazy, so I just use what's offered. If it doesn't work I grab my space pen. Funny, because at work I use my space pen, rather than the cheapie ones provided. I have tried to get the boss to spring for my refils, to no avail...
    Still, I'd rather use my pen and spend the money. The benefits far outweigh the costs.

13. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

My own, who know's what's been touching the pen provided. :green:

14. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

But by this whole germ concept, you couldn't touch the door handle, the menu, the salt & pepper shakers, sink, etc, etc. So that argument really doesn't hold up all that well.

I use the one provided. I think going out of my way to use EDC things when they're not needed is senseless, but I realize many others do it to justify what they carry. I can just admit that I carry stuff because it's fun.

15. DemskeetSkeet

I carry sanitizer on me, watch everything I touch, etc. I never missed a day of high school, work, or anything else for that matter.

I wouldn't call myself a germaphobe, it's just that I can't afford to miss work or school.

I admit I do touch stuff that I wish I didn't have to, but I always make sure that I leave the bathroom without touching the door knob, use sanitizer after everything that I touch or see fit.

16. grapple

grapple Empty Pockets

always use my own.

picopen usually, because it's clipped to the inside pocket of my Stealth TAD hoodie - right next to the cards. The pen comes out when the cards do.

in the summer months when I loose the hoodie I opt for the titanium Fischer space pen. it usually hangs out clipped to the inside of my side pocket.

i also use hand sanitizer too much. I student teach. I have had H1N1 already this season. not fun. felt like I was going through Heroin withdrawals (not from firsthand knowledge...)

17. snarkdek

snarkdek Loaded Pockets

I don't actually carry a pen (gasp) but have you noticed that it doesn't matter what you sign? I often just put a squiggle just to see if they will accept it. And they always do. Rarely check my ID too.

18. DemskeetSkeet

it's truly sad isn't it? We are at a point where identity theft is prevalent.

I keep either a Zebra Compact clipped inside my back pocket next to my wallet or a Beastly Zebra F-701.

I can go to Target any time, swipe my credit card and that's it. No signing, no I.D., no zip code, you name it.

Swipe your card, "Have a Nice Day!"

19. grapple

grapple Empty Pockets

:iagree:

I dont think they care.

I have had "CID" on my American Express since I was 18. I am 27 now. I have been asked maybe 10 times. And I use it a lot.

Each time they ask I thank them from the bottom of my heart. I gave one of the big cookies I had just bought to the last cash register technician that asked to see my ID. God bless her soul.

20. DemskeetSkeet

How thoughtful. O0