1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sig Ultra Compact 1911

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by TARFU, Mar 28, 2014.

1. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I've read a lot on this firearm but thought I would ask some of the experts on here. What do you think of it? Any experiences good or bad? A buddy of mine is willing to give me a friend discount on one - under seven bills. I'm thinking that's a heck of a deal considering he hasn't shot it all that much and takes really good care of his firearms.

Fukurai and SAKplumber like this.
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm thinking less than $700 is a deal on any SIG, isn't it? IDK, cause I haven't one...yet.

swany66675 likes this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Have you shot it?

I have shot several Sig 1911s and so far been somewhat let down by them in general.
    It is hard to quantify exact reasons but in general I don't shoot them that well and they seem stiff and jerky to me unlike a Colt for instance which shoot for me like Butta.

In fact my favorite 1911 so far has been a 1933 Argentine Police model a friend has that is just the best shooter of the breed by a huge margin somehow. I am guessing that like many things they just do not make them like they ised to?

On the other hand every other Sig I have shot I have pretty much loved!
    The 239 might be my favorite for instance and I would snag a nice 229 in a heartbeat if I can find one right.
    I like my 290RS too and the little 238/938 seem great.

Anyway my point is,shoot the gun before buying no matter how good a deal it seems.

And then let us know.

4. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

You're probably right. This would be my first SIG pretty much for the same reason. :)

SAKplumber likes this.
  5. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I shot a couple of magazines through it the last time we went to the range together. He was getting lots of FTF's with the gun and so I offered to shoot it with the same ammo to see if it was the Indian and not the Arrow. Didn't have a single failure and shot real tight groups with it. Everything in the X and 9 ring.

1911's with barrels under 4" are snappy and tend to not do well if you don't hold the gun properly to control the recoil. Anyway, it's a good suggestion. We're going out again tonight and I plan on putting a couple of boxes through it to make sure it's sound before I pull the trigger. We also have to break in his new Kimber Solo Dark. Should be a fun session.

Fukurai, Lou_G and SAKplumber like this.
  6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice BeaverTail!

I don't know why but I just like saying that?

8. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Range Report:

Here's one of my better groups... slow fired 7 rounds at 21 feet...

[​IMG]

My other groups weren't all that different other than I had a few fliers here and there as I got used to the gun and towards the end of the session. Put 90 rounds through the Sig Ultra - 50 rounds of Federal 230 grain FMJ and 33 rounds of Winchester 230 grain FMJ. There were no FTF's or issues of any kind. I did accidentally engage the safety with my thumb while firing, which made it seem like there was an FTF because the gun locked up like a bank vault with a round in the chamber. :p But that was me, not the gun. This is my first 1911 so I just need to practice more with this weapon so I don't do that.

The only issue when I shot one magazine of Hornady 185 grain FTX Critical Defense Ammo. I did get one failure to feed there. Perhaps the Ultra doesn't like the lighter bullet or it just doesn't like the FTX. Not sure. I'll have to experiment around to see what kind of self defense ammo it likes.

I told him I'd take the gun. It looks great, felt great, and shot great. Definitely a viable option for concealed carry. And I felt like I stole it from him. But, I think he was hell bent to get me hooked on 1911's so mission accomplished. :D

swany66675, SAKplumber and Fukurai like this.
  9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Looks nice!

Congrats.

I have yet to drink any 1911 Kool-Aid.I just shoot other peoples.
    My biggest issue is the capacity really and how honking huge they usually are but this one looks like a nice way to justify the design by being more compact.

I am sure you will love it and will not be able to lose any money on it if you change your mind.
    Every Sig I have handled is a work of art in ways.

10. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Looks great! Congrats on the score!

11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Is at a 3" barrel? Nice.

swany66675 likes this.
  12. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

I would jump on that TARFU, that's an excellent deal with low rounds and gentle care. You were also able to verify it runs, which is the biggest thing with the chopped 1911's. I do prefer the Govt. and Commander length guns over the Officer's or 3", but that's personal preference on my part.

I have found the shortest barreled 1911's are harder to conceal due to their leaning away from my body. The 4" + Bbls. press into my body at the muzzle and that in turn holds the grip in closer. The chopped 1911's with the abbreviated Bbls. allow the grip to poke out even when IWB carried. I think you are going to love this gun though.

13. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

My boss just bought one when SIG had the buy a "1911 get a 1911 .22 free". I have a Kimber Ultra CDPii, like my avatar, and the SIG is not nearly as nice fit and finish wise, but he paid a lot less and got a free .22 to boot. Haven't got to shoot it yet but he keeps bugging me about coming over to shoot at my backyard range. Just waiting on warm weather and free time.

Fukurai likes this.
  14. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

MSRP on that gun is over $1100 according to the Sig site. I'd say that if you got it under $700 and don't like it, you could easily get your money back selling it.

No experience with that Sig 1911 but I did get to shoot the one size up from that one a little while back (the Compact I think) and it was a sweet shooter. FWIW.

TARFU and Fukurai like this.
  15. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

If you're looking to snag a P229, check into the factory re-certified models. Generally law enforcement trade-ins, they get a thorough going-over, parts replaced as necessary and then tested on the firing line by sig. Comes in a red Sig case with a red paper band around the gun. May have some cosmetic blems and usually comes with just one mag, but they're about half the cost of new. And, of late, I've seen something that looks like old new stock in the 229's. That is, they have the rounded front trigger guard and no light rail. If you get a 229, do get either a .357 Sig or .40 S&W as the barrels can be swapped out to the other caliber with Sig factory barrels and to 9mm with a BarSto conversion barrel that is usually just drop in. And the 229 will use 9mm P226 mags for all calibers. You just need a mag spacer to cover the portion of the 226 mag that would be exposed in the shorter 229 grip. Actually, the spacer on the magazine makes the grip better, at least for me. Of all the pistols I have, Sigs included, the 229 is by far and away my favorite. It may not be yours but I'm pretty certain that you will not be disappointed.