1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sig P226 vs. Glock comparable

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by iomatic, Jan 6, 2011.

1. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

Well, which one would you pick for accuracy, range and target practice?

self-d, last.

9mm cuz it's cheaper than 40-38

2. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

The P226, hands down. It is a classic for a reason.

Sent from my A854

3. motzus

motzus Loaded Pockets

They are all "self defense" handguns so roughly comparable in accuracy. What it really comes down to is what type of trigger you're looking for. The Sig is a DA/SA and the Glock is a DAO with a very short reset. The Sig trigger is very smooth but the DA/SA transition bothers a lot of people along with the 12LBS DA trigger pull. Bottom line is go to the range and shoot them. After a few rounds you'll know which one is for you.

4. fire65

fire65 Loaded Pockets

Probably the Sig, but you are comparing a 1000 dollar gun to a 500 dollar Glock.

5. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

There is a pretty big difference in grip angle, trigger, and overall feel between Sig's P series and Glocks. You really should try to shoot both a few times before you decide.

I will say this, I am a big fan of classic Sig pistols, but no matter what people say about Glocks, they make a fine 9mm.

Sent from my A854

6. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

While I no long shoot competitively, I've put more rounds down range in a year that many people combined in a lifetime. Having extensive experience with both, as well as many others, the Glock is the only pistol would ever rely on right out of the box if I had to. You can freeze them, throw them in the sand or mud. Wipe it off, load it and go. They are simple, consistent, require little lubrication, and very accurate. If I only could own one pistol it would be a Glock 17.

7. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bought my first firearm over 20+ years ago...
    Took my time to research all the info I could find, asked around for opinions at the range, and LEO's that I knew.
    Looked and compared all the specs on paper.
    Considered all the categories that you listed along with budget, and options.
    Then went to the range...
    In the running were Beretta, Ruger, Taurus, CZ, Sig, and Glock.
    Did not take long to decide...fell in love and married...

Sig Sauer P226 ...15+1...only changes I made
    was to add a Safariland rubber band grip,
    and Trijicon Night Sights (No rail for lights back then...)

I've picked up a P228...(0.6 shorter than P226) find it a little harder to control,
    especially with hot loads...

You really have to spend some time with your choices...
    You will know the right decision...especially if you go SIG!!

8. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

All the comments are accurate, however as an NRA instructor, police department armorer, rangemaster and EMT with 35 years experience, I can honestly state, don't be too concerned about your decision. I own both Glocks and Sigs, they are both in the Rolls Royce catagories of handguns. The price catagory is not really an accurate or fair way to judge between them.

The steel on both guns are Tenniffer coated and can't be beat. If you have safety concerns the double action first shot on the Sig is heavy (this can be good or bad). My next Glock will be a G-17 (gen lll) 17 round magazine + 1 in the pipe. That is not too shabby (it's like the old days, a wheel gun + 2 speed loaders, but no reloading time). The G-17 will be a nice compliment to go with my Sub 2000 as it also takes the glock 17 mags.

If you are not going to own several guns PM me and I will try to assist you in your decision making process. Check the local gun ranges and see if you can rent both. What is good for one EDC'er might not be good for another.

Ones personal preference might mot be the same as yours. There are many reasons to choose one gun over another. The environment (Alaska for instance has lubricating issues), weather, like in S. Florida has some EDC'ers not wanting to carry a full size gun in a t-shirt and shorts (I off duty carry a 1911 .45 auto). Are you likely to run into a two or four legged critter? Are you likely to run into a multiple threat confrontation (pack of wild dogs, or group of violent gang members). Will the threat be man or dog size, or possibly a bear? What meathod of carry might be prefered? What can you handle?

The list goes on and on. Both Glock and Sig have many options for you. I will try to see if I can make some sense of some of the options if you PM me. Not knowing what you are looking for makes any recomendation difficult, but it is hard to make a mistake with either. I don't sell guns, so I think I can be an impartial advocate for you if I know some of your parameters. The right decision will obviously make you happier. If it is only for target practice a sig will probably be a winner, for defense I would really like to hear from you.

Cliff

9. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

Thanks all truly for the in-depth thoughts; I'm definitely going to take them out for test drives before making the decision.

While I do live in a moderate-low crime medium-sized city, my first priority is basically getting to work :) I don't prowl the streets at night much (but probably soon will as I am also a photographer, and have night projects ahead). I know enough self-defense to drop a 250lb. fit male down (likely multiple attackers also), so I'm not concerned with hand-to-hand techniques.

I don't want to escalate, but I don't want to be under-prepared either. It's very easy to get a carry license, but I haven't had to for all my life (in big and small cities) so I'm on the fence about that one (for possibly obvious moral reasons).

Great input!

(next question is which 10g purely for fowl)

10. Wayneard3413

Wayneard3413 Empty Pockets

I have been issued both Sigs and Glocks, when it came time to purchase my own pistol I went with the Glock.

There is simply no getting around the utter reliabilty of the Glock platform and that is especially true with the 17 and 19. Sig used to make a great pistol but right about the same time it went from Sig Arms to Sig Sauer their QC seemed to drop a bit, that combined with the current use of MIM parts have been causing issues with the newer guns.

Most are still good to go but I know several people who have had to send their pistols back to the factory to get them running right. I am also not a fan of DA/SA triggers, though you can do great things with them it simply takes more training to overcome the to distinctly different trigger pulls.

IMO I would suggest a Glock 17 or 19 and a some quality training. The money saved on the Glock should just about pay for your first class.

11. 5534

5534 Loaded Pockets

I don't know if it would be an issue for you but you may want to look into servicing and parts costs- depending on your financial situation but it could be a factor worth considering ?

12. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Neither, 1911.

Personaly,of the two, I prefer the overall feal of the sig and the added weight that a full metal frame gives. The only thing that I do not like about the sig is the location of the slide release, for me it is just a bit to far to the rear of the weapon.

Our sig is circa 1990, and has never needed a replacement part.

13. SchHrdKncks

SchHrdKncks Loaded Pockets

Either choice is a good one . Just handle/shoot them both and see which one works best for you. I have some XDs, H&K, 1911s along with some other handguns but when it comes to what I carry for my families and my own personal protection I always take a big swig of glock Kool aid and grab my glock as I go out the door.

14. Buster Bodine

Buster Bodine Loaded Pockets

If you want a target pistol, buy a target pistol. If you want a SD pistol then Sig or Glock, it really doesn't make a jot of difference which you choose.

Pick the one you like best, or can best afford and then spend the time and money to learn how to use it effectively. If you make that investment in skills, either tool will serve quite admirably. If you don't, neither will be of any real use to you.

$1000.00 to spend?
    Sig and a single box of ammo = $1000.00
    Glock and $500.00 worth of ammo and training = $1000.00

WTTW

15. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi iomatic,

If this is not for target only, I am concerned regarding your coment about "moral reasons". A firearm is about life or death or serious bodily harm. You need to get some good training and understanding of your real priorities. There is no moral reason that you can come up with, where you or a loved one should be mauled or killed over you not being defensive or at least being prepaired.

Forget the karate kid stuff (bad guys don't fight fair). Find a "real" instructor that you can afford. For about the 1/2 price of a gun (this might hurt a little on the check book) you can come away with some increadible training (and in reality thats only 2 boxes of ammo per month for 6 months out of your pocket). Get everything into prespective first, it will assist with your purchasing decision. Remember you can still always PM me.

Cliff

16. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

I'll get training for self-defense use of the firearm. My first priority is to build up accuracy and knowledge first. Then I would at this juncture in my life only have one for target practice. As you can see, I'm on the fence about carry. I like the firing of weapons. I'm not so sure about firing into people (even for self-defense).

As for hand-to-hand, I'm no karate kid. That movie that is pure fabrication; I'm well aware of practical applications of martial arts, not just theory. No, I don't train in MMA which is purely for hurting, not killing— a whole can of worms I hope we don't open.

Boy, I hope this thread doesn't get too derailed. Let's just stick with pistol choices!

17. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

18. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if you're trying to point out my obvious conflicts (hence the waffling), but yes, having a weapon will escalate more than self-defense training. I just don't want to go there with a weapon.

In the end, it is my choice to carry.

19. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

I am sorry, iomatic. Forum ate my post after the quote.
    I was just suggesting some basic pistol training for accuracy, to make sure you are building upon the right stance and grip, etc. It is worth the money when you start out, as these things do not come naturally.

I did not mean for you to think I was bringing up anything about the ethics of carrying. That is your choice to make. I suppose just the quote there looked odd, though.

Sent from my A854

20. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

Both are superb pistols. You can't go wrong with either one. Down side for the Sig pistols, the factory magazines are spendy.