1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sig 238

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Buckeye Jake, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Just got new grips for my hd 238 in Osage Orange. Love the feel of wood . These were made by a small company by the name of LS grips out of Neosho Mo . Nice is the best description. Price was more than reasonable, 21 bucks to my door . I am sure i will try other sets from them .

Jake

2. camjr

camjr Loaded Pockets

I'm not a big fan of the .380acp as a defensive round, but ammo has vastly improved in the caliber over the last 10 years due to the proliferation of the small pocket .380's. I prefer a J Frame 642 with .38spl 135gr+p Gold Dots as a pocket gun, but there are times when this little Sig P238 can go where others can't.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Ive got the Colt Mustang Pocket Lite. Have shot it plenty with a variety of ammo without problems.

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Years ago, I carried a Tim LaFrance-customised Colt Pocketlite as a backup when carrying my Browning Hi-Power.

My Pocketlite had no sharp edges, custom thin aluminium grips, and was virtually as smooth as a bar of used soap; just what a pocket-carried firearm should be.

The equivalent Sig product is of excellent quality, but needs a girth reduction. ☺️

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  5. Buckeye Jake

The sig sas is somewhat smoother. I carry my hd 238 and i agree it a little on the thick side.
    It also does duty as my house gun . The night sights are the deal maker .

Jake

6. Buckeye Jake

I thought I better refresh the 380 as an edc . My state has ccw and many new to carry went that route.
    I started with a 238 hd almost 10 years ago and it's been flawless. And that's with many brands and types of ammo .
    Like wise with the mags . 13 of them now , all sig or kimber . Kimber, colt Springfield sig all interchange in my 238hd. I like the kimber best as they have a little longer base plate and can be taken apart. And they sell for a lot less . I run across a nib. 238hd on a close out sale.
    479 and yes I bought it . Sig due tremendous sales have discontinued many models. The hd got the axe but all the rest of parts interchange. Two holsters, an el Paso saddlery pocket max in horse hide . And a desantis maverick holster. Its a simple belt holster with a strap. Interesting enough this holster is made to carry the sig with hammer down , not :censored: and locked, like a 1911. Some safety freaks cant understand that the 238 938 family of pistol are descendant of the old starr pistols. Colt paid Starr to use their design in the early mustangs. A great carry option. Perfect no.
    They say the sig 365 is the fastest selling pistol in the usa. And now that you can get it with a manual safety, I believe it.
    I don't think the 238 938 will go away , but the 365 stole a lot of its thunder.

7. david paron

david paron Empty Pockets

I have the 938 great pocket protector . I think though it’s a different animal then the 365 for obvious reasons . I have held 365 never took it to the range did not really send me to the stars so to speak . Buddies of mine swear by it and stated they can get rid of the rest or there EDC pistols never will they carry another . Not sure if I would go that far for anything I have. Great to see this thread open keep me posted if moves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Everything can't be striker fire. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  9. Buckeye Jake

I started buying 380 fmj in case of a severe ammo shortage. And am glad I did ened up with 37 boxes .
    That's 1850 rounds , plus all of my carry rounds silvertips, hydro shoks and the excellent sig vcrown.
    13 mags too , three holsters. Plus I have bought most of the parts and springs for the 238.
    I guess I am good to go. Years ago men or for that matter women generally just bought one pistol and used it their whole life. It gives one pleasure to know that I sould be good to go for the rest of my life .
    Now when I see ammo prices , I just smile.

tmgplc likes this.
  10. Sterg

Sterg Empty Pockets

Love my 938 Extreme. I’m going to look into those grips
    I just went to their site. Thanks for the info as I’ll be ordering them for my 938. I’m inquiring about their ebony grips. Also asked them if they would make grips for the Seecamp.
    Steve

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  11. Buckeye Jake

I believe I ask him too . I have wanted wood forever . I even bought some Osage wood .
    Please let me know what he said .

Jake

Sterg likes this.
  12. Sterg

Sterg Empty Pockets

$65.00 for a set in Ebony and he doesn’t have grips for the Seecamp. I can’t believe $30.00 for a set of walnut grips with checkering. May have to be both.

13. Buckeye Jake

I was on the sig site today and it don't look good . They are closing down two more sig 238 models. Looks likes one model as of right now . So if you want one you better get on it . The 911 and kimber micro 380s are still available. Colt site said not available at this time .
    I heard sig might bring out a 365 in 380 . The 938s seem to be still made , but who knows .
    It a great little pistol , but everyone seems to want polymer frames .

Jake

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  14. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

That's a bummer. Polymer is great but something about an all metal pistol feels right. Like leather vs. Kydex. [​IMG]

15. Buckeye Jake

Well its finally time to upgrade the sig 238 . I had a set of stock sig night sites put on a month ago .
    And the front is way too dim. So I bought a sight pusher and a set of sights from fision sights out of Michigan..
    The order got messed up some how . Likely my fault, so a phone call with CS . A first class lady by the name of Lauren came to my aid
    And got it fixed and she helped pick the colors. It was evident she knows the products very well .
    They make sights as you order them . Use more tritium in the sights and that should make them brighter. Longer life too. This company make the military compass.
    I should get them this week . I will post on the install when they arrive.

16. Buckeye Jake

They came and 30 min later were on the sig . The big red front sight is perfect for self defense.
    Glad I listened to Lauren! Tonite I see how much brighter they are . Great American company.

ran23 likes this.
  17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Which sights?

Edit: sorry. Missed it the first time

#37 Mumbojumboo, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  18. Buckeye Jake

The number is sig -176 -003- rgzg . Last night I got my new 238 HD out to compare with the old one with night fision.
    The night fision is brighter plain and simple. The red shows in lower light too and rear start working . Great for that combination.
    And the red is perfect for fast sight pick up. You can pick yellow or orange too .
    Low light situations is real life posibity.
    Great experience with this outfit. Sig not really.

Jake

19. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Thanks for the info. I've been using a yellow XS big dot, which works great, but not exactly snag free. [​IMG]

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  20. Buckeye Jake

What holster do you use ? I have two el paso saddery pocket max . And destainis maverick . Not very high tech but leather works for me . Especially those pocket Max's in horse hide .

Last edited by Buckeye Jake, Apr 24, 2021
    #40 Buckeye Jake, Apr 24, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021