1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show your MORA / pic heavy

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Grinch, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

I have no qualms with leather as such, just that top flap with stud closure looks, how's that to say... unattractive. People do nicely stitched leather sheaths with multiple carry options, loops and pockets for accessories, etc. - to each their own, but that thingy looks like somebody's second best wallet.

2. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

AMEN! It's almost as bad as the one that came with my Svord MEGA EDC .. well.. maybe not that bad.. LOL.. At least the universal truth remains.. You still need a better sheath when you buy a Mora! ;)

Lorenzo and No Agenda like this.
  3. kwispelhond

kwispelhond Loaded Pockets

Bought this one last summer, had wild plans with it but have hardly used it so far. It's a Companion HD and it's actually a fine knife, this one came razor-sharp and I got pretty big hands so the slightly fuller grip fills my hand just fine. Another thing unexpected is that I like the sheath, just clip it to the pocket and it wears fine.

[​IMG]

RAMBOCAT, fourSAK, sswift and 5 others like this.
  4. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Word of warning - this clip is not very reliable a.k.a. as reliable as pocket knife clips.
    I've lost a Companion last year - it got bumped off a belt and gone for good. At least for belt carry it can be turned into a closed loop with a piece of wire or paracord. It's also got an, hmmm, keyhole shaped hole that is supposed to latch onto some special button Swedish pants come equipped with...
    Regarding their sheaths in general, I've got a nice small Frosts laminated carbon from early 2000's, it lives as a workshop knife and mostly stays on a magnetic strip. It was (I threw the travesty away for great justice) a piece of black plastic with absolutely no relation to the shape and size of blade or handle and did not retain it at all.

kwispelhond and FL Woods Bum like this.
  5. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Here in Scandinavia, Moras (especially the Companions) are the go-to knives of carpenters, plumbers, electricians, masons, painters and other craftsmen, as well as farmers and fishermen. So much so that "Morakniv" is almost synonymous with "work knife".

You will rarely see a Norwegian builder of any kind without a Mora clipped to his or her work pants.

In Scandinavia, most builders and other craftsmen wear work clothes supplied by or paid for by the company they work for. Almost without exception, that means specialized workwear as opposed to "civilian" jeans and flannel shirts. Work pants with lots of pockets are very common. Almost all of them feature a knife pocket (a bit like the narrow pocket on the leg of Carhartt carpenter jeans) with either a button that fits the "keyhole" or a strap for the clip. You attach the clip or button, and then let the knife hang down into the pocket.

That said, I think the clip on the companion sheath holds on rather securely to a belt too, at least if it is wide enough.

xbanker, fourSAK, kwispelhond and 6 others like this.
  6. Cezkaa

Cezkaa Loaded Pockets

Here s mine, a light my fire.
    Havent used it yet, hope to take it to the field soon.
    [​IMG]

Cezkaa, over.

7. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just came across this:

[​IMG]

Clearly not a stick-tang.

Source:

Lorenzo, GrayMouser and Joost Heijnen like this.
  8. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well, I just sold my mora bushcraft black. But maybe this one will get another shot one day..

9. tde

tde Loaded Pockets

Way off topic, but I'm wondering if Morakniv is pronounced like morak niv, or mora knive? Just a linguistic curiosity for me, since I know no Scandinavian languages.

Thank you.

tde

10. tde

tde Loaded Pockets

Basically I'm just asking if the k is silent, even in the middle of a word. :)

11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

In Norwegian, Swedish and Danish, the "k" in "kniv" is definitely pronounced.

Other than that, it is not all that easy to explain to an English speaker exactly how the word is pronounced. For example, I don't think the English language has the long "o"-sound we use in the word "Mora". It is certainly not the long "o" of "moor". It is not quite the "oo" of "cool" either, but something in between, perhaps.

I am not very good at phonetic transcription, but I guess you could say that the word "Morakniv" is pronounced something like moorahk-neev.

xbanker, Water-Rat, fourSAK and 2 others like this.
  12. tde

tde Loaded Pockets

VERY interesting, sungame. Thank you so much for the response. I've studied some Russian, German, Chinese, Turkish and French in years gone by, so I have a bit of language background. Still, I'm dumbfounded to hear that the k in knive is normally pronounced in Scandinavia! I'm quite pleased with your explanation. :)

tde

13. aliaspostmortem

aliaspostmortem Loaded Pockets

Another Mora, out of production since many years I believe.

[​IMG]

/ J

andrej, Water-Rat, KODIAKman and 2 others like this.
  14. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Any thoughts on the yet to be released Mora Garberg? Seems like a great knife. Will be buying one...

Sorry. I saw that it was already covered.

Last edited by A.B., Feb 6, 2016
  15. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    My new work blade. A replacement for the triflex I lost.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Pscl likes this.
  16. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

One if many... This has seen a little rust but it lives on the boat. Still keeping it razor sharp!

[​IMG]

sungame and A.B. like this.
  17. D.J.

D.J. Loaded Pockets

Not entirely true. Think of Mora more as the style of knife. Several companies make Mora style knives, or have in the past. The most popular as of now is Morakniv however there is also Frosts (not to be confused with the other knife maker Frost Cutlery. I will take some pictures in a minute to show the difference.

18. D.J.

D.J. Loaded Pockets

19. D.J.

D.J. Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

See, 2 Morakniv 1 Frosts. I have some other Mora knives but I don't like breaking them out of my bags and truck. I also give them as gifts because in my opinion they are one of the most underrated tools one can own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

20. D.J.

D.J. Loaded Pockets

I would like to see some different Mora mods. Sheath mods to handle mods... I am looking for inspiration for some mods to do myself lol... call me codependent for this one lol

A.B. likes this.