1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show your MORA / pic heavy

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Grinch, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I have the same ones as Gabor and Rainy - the Robust and the Light my Fire collaboration. I also have the Bushcraft Black with ferro rod. I think my next purchase is a Basic 511. I really think even though it's a rat-tang, Mora gives just great value for the money.

2. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

3. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

4. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Bought one to replace my loss, and it's an Outdoor 2000 Orange.
    Factory sharpening not too great (worse than Companion) for some reason, but after sacrificing the cutting edge polish to crock stick, Lansky sapphire and strop it pops hairs, excellent aggressive cutter, one of the best blades I ever handled.
    Might get to work on the spine - the spine edges are rounded off, and I'd like ferro rоd scraper capability. And a notch for kettle lifting, and a lanyard hole, perhaps.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Lorenzo, Jun 16, 2015
  5. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

The only knife I have. The only knife I need. :D

[​IMG]

6. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Watch that belt clip, you might like to turn it into a closed loop with a twist of wire or cord or something ;) Losing a Mora sucks out of proportion with price!

survivorman and Tornado like this.
  7. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

That's a good idea, thanks. Gotta think about it for a bit and see if I want to modify the current one, or get a leather one with a good belt loop.

survivorman likes this.
  8. No Agenda
    • In Omnia Paratus

No Agenda Loaded Pockets

9. c_nieporte

c_nieporte Loaded Pockets

10. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

11. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just leaving this here... :devil:

JPE, No Agenda, Pscl and 1 other person like this.
  12. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Yep.. But Mora has lost their mind on their prices. Their niche was always that "little knife that could" and even the Bushcraft was on the upper end of what I would pay for their knives. My 510 is beautiful and outperforms or holds it's own against a lot of knives many times it's price, but the prices I am seeing thrown around for this knife are absurd. And anyone who knows me or has seen my posts knows that I am a Mora fan, so this isn't a hater speaking.

13. Here Comes The BOOM

That is the general perception from what I gather. MSRP is a bit ridiculous at a 110 bucks for the one with the leather sheath, but retailers expect a more reasonable street price of 65,- ish before too long. Still a lot of money for a Mora, but there have been plenty of people wishing for a full tang Mora with a better (or at least nicer) sheath for years so I think it's good of them to meet that demand.

I don't think I'll be a buyer myself but I still think it's a good move on their part nevertheless, and I won't say no to one if I get one offered in a trade at some point (which is how I got my Bushcraft Black as well).

14. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

The real kicker is that this knife isn't even a Full Tang knife if you get technical the way that those of us who make our own knives do. It's a Stick Tang. It just happens to be a thicker stick tang than most. ;) Not that you need it, but if you want to get a real education (and flaming), go over to Blade Forums and post that this knife is a full tang.. quite a few professional knife makers will educate you on tangs.. and WHY did they use Stainless? WHY?? LOL

[​IMG]

15. Here Comes The BOOM

I'm too arrogant to go looking for such an education :p

I wonder though, is it stick tang, or could it qualify as a hidden tang perhaps? We won't know until we get an x-ray I guess.

Agree with you on the stainless. Unless it's S35VN or CPM3V (one can dream) I greatly prefer carbon steel for this kind of knife as well.

16. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Yeah, I used to be big into BF and finally decided it was time to leave that place.. it's not what it used to be..

In the circles I travel in, Hidden Tang and Stick Tang are pretty synonymous.. In the case of Mora, their calling it Full Tang is all about marketing anyways..

17. Here Comes The BOOM

I only learned about BF after I got to EDCF, but I've always this place anyhoe. There is a lot of good info on there but like most things on the internet you need to be able to filter what is useful for you.

Yeah, the difference in probably negligible irl anyways, but you wanted to go technical.. ;)

Whatever it is I'm sure it'll satisfy the masses that shouted for a FT Mora. Now some one go beat one up, I want to see how that stainless edge holds up after pounding it through twisty knotted seasoned wood.

JPE, Joost Heijnen and No Agenda like this.
  18. eMilanist

eMilanist Loaded Pockets

19. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

That full-or-whatever tang thing... well, kind of like the build, kind of dislike the price.
    As usual, sheath looks meh. A stud-retained leather flap in 2016? Is it meant to be traditional or what?
    I mean, you can have a traditional looking sheath with an actual retention device - like the Sissipuuko rubber disks.

xbanker, FL Woods Bum and No Agenda like this.
  20. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Given that Dave Canterbury is involved so much in the marketing of this knife that the brochure has him plastered throughout it, I have a feeling he had a hand in influencing the knife's design some. Read this excerpt from Bushcraft 101, he's a fan of Leather Sheath's with Flaps ..

[​IMG]