1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show your MORA / pic heavy

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Grinch, Oct 10, 2013.

1. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bump

gemini likes this.
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

...to merge...

Similar topics mergified ;)

gemini and FL Woods Bum like this.
  3. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I was wondering what just happened, LOL.. I was looking at the new thread when suddenly it was GONE! ;)

gemini and anthonyawaken like this.
  4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

[​IMG]

GatorMedic and gemini like this.
  5. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

I try to keep a Mora 2/0 close by at all times. Between it and the Victorinox Compact that's always in my pocket just about all necessary cutting tasks can be accomplished.

[​IMG]

de Vries, gemini and FL Woods Bum like this.
  6. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Classic pic! :)

7. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Ah ha!

I know there was a Mora thread around here somewhere, found it.

I have never been much a fan of the Mora, the style just never appealed to me.

However, my father recently did some cleaning up of his store room and came across and old item that he hasn't used in many years. Knowing that I a appreciate and love knives he passed along his old hunting knife that he bought back in the late 50's. It was his gift to me on the condition that I clean it up and give it a good edge.

The knife had one heck of a patina from sitting in it's sheath for the last 3 or 4 decades, but was still in really nice condition. Left to my own devices I would have left the patina alone and only polished up the edge, but since it was his wish to see it restored to a similar condition to how it was when he carried it I gave it the scotchbrite treatment. Spent some time on the edge, but not much was required actually.

Anyway, here it is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stacked leather handle with brass and red spacers, brass guard and pommel, and a V grind composite blade of an unknown make up. No blade steel marking, but if you look close along the edge you can see the layers (can just make it out in the last pic...).

And holy crap, does that thing ever get SHARP. I thought I knew what sharp was, but this knife blew me away. I have sharpened a great many knives, but nothing ever came close to this.

All I can say is this, those Swede's really knew how to make a knife!!!

docer, de Vries, deeker and 6 others like this.
  8. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Thought you might like to see this:

[​IMG]

Addition: That 1961-1971 isn't about the knife, it's a timeline from Mora's website talking about the company.

I would also add that the Swedes have been using laminated carbon steels for many years and have perfected it in my opinion.. That knife will only get better with age and use!! It is awesome that your father handed it down and that you are able to enjoy it as well (even if you aren't a fan of Mora knives!! :) ). It's beautiful!

Last edited by FL Woods Bum, Dec 31, 2014
    de Vries and Lightnig like this.
  9. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Thanks for that, good find and very interesting indeed.

I like this one a lot, it may even get some carry time next year when i get back to hitting the trails.

de Vries, No Agenda and FL Woods Bum like this.
  10. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Got this one as a trade-in on one of my knives last week:

[​IMG]

Some comparison shots with my Companion:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a beast compared to the regular Mora's, I'll have no problem pounding on it if needed.

11. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Mora Companion

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

13. c_nieporte

c_nieporte Loaded Pockets

14. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love my bushcraft black.. Great knife for the money.. Can't go wrong.. I beat the crap out of it and it's still razor sharp..

15. Here Comes The BOOM

I've only used it for a bit of carving so far but it did great, very comfy handle too. Mine came with a few small nicks on the belly so I need to sit down and spend some time on the stones with it soon.

By the way, if you're looking for a good affordable sharpening stone for your scandi-knives I can recommend you the cheap ceramic 2000/5000 grit one from Eden that you can find at knives&tools, it performs really well on both O1 & S30V. I have the courser one too but that one doesn't seem to do so well for some reason, I've only used that one once so far though, so take my experience with it with a grain of salt please.

Joost Heijnen likes this.
  16. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

What a coincidence, a friend of mine and I spoke this weekend about sharpening techniques. He wanted to try a stone and we dicussed the grids for a bit.. You'll meet him at the DKE I guess. But I think I'll order a set of stones soon to try it.. Thanks..

Here Comes The BOOM likes this.
  17. Here Comes The BOOM

I saw a short video about the 2000/5000 combo stone from Eden on the Knives&tools website somewhere but I can't find it anymore. Anyway, in it they compared it with the more expensive Naniwa stones and they said that though the Eden was a good stone the grit on it was more like 1200/3500 realistically. I have nothing to compare it too personally though, but it does work really well for me. The coarse side is course enough to still fix small rolls & chips in a reasonable time and the fine side leaves an almost mirror-like finish.

They seem a bit on the soft side but at this price I really don't mind if it wears out in 5 to ten years. I bought my first one about a year and a half ago and it was still in almost new condition after many hours of sharpening & repairing abused scandi-edges.

Until I lend it to my Stepfather to sharpen his chisels that is.... I thought he knew what he was doing but when I got it back he had made some nice chisel-wide trenches on both sides of the stone :rofl:

So I told him to keep it & practice a circular motion on what was left of the flat parts next time his chisels need sharpening & I just bought a new one instead.

I just noticed they are a little more expensive now though, when I bought mine I paid around ten bucks for the courser one (240/800) and just over 20 for the 2000/5000 one if I remember correctly. I think it was a holiday discount around Sinterklaas or Christmas.

Joost Heijnen likes this.
  18. c_nieporte

c_nieporte Loaded Pockets

Robust Pro.....

[​IMG]

I really like this one!

Cliff

19. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

I seem to recall one Clever Dick on YouTube using a club hammer to repeatedly hammer a Mora through a cinder block. The handle eventually failed. Then he put the blade in a vice, put a ridiculous amount of force on it (with a cheater bar) and eventually broke it.
    Naturally he then proceeded to rubbish it because it "failed."

20. warrenwrench

warrenwrench Loaded Pockets

Any extra info on this one would be great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]