1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show your MORA / pic heavy

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Grinch, Oct 10, 2013.

1. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Putting a patina on my new work knife. Just got it this weekend to replace my previous one. A triflex. Lost it, sad to say. I made a leather sheath out of an old boot for the triflex. Have to modify it now to make it fit.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Pscl and D.J. like this.
  2. D.J.

D.J. Loaded Pockets

Looking good the patina on my Mora is just from using it it alot. It is my favorite for carving sticks while camping

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

3. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Try making patterns with strong mustard or wrinkle up some vinegar soaked kitchen towel and stick the blade in it. Really cool and more important, functional.

4. D.J.

D.J. Loaded Pockets

I have been considering that. There were some really cool pictures in an old patina recipe post I think I will look at again. Thanks for reminding me and for the ideas!

A.B. likes this.
  5. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Patina... Done...

6. D.J.

D.J. Loaded Pockets

Nice job! Very cool indeed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

7. Alex-

Alex- Empty Pockets

To me, Mora knives are made to be abused. Mora Classic 1 is the one that you'll find in every toolshed in the Swedish countryside, and no one can ever remember having purchased it. It's also the model that is (was, at least, I'm kind of hoping they've stepped up their game) a part of the gear handed out on the first day in the armed forces. For some reason, I'm not allowed to link their webpage, but you've got the model name there - go check it out :)

I can't find a decent picture of mine from when I did my military service, but it looked really rough after a year, unprotected on the hip, never cleaned (more than wiping it off on the trousers after cutting fruit) or sharpened, yet used for pretty much everything except wiping my butt...

shmook, A.B. and (deleted member) like this.
  8. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Off to work

sungame likes this.
  9. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

sungame and Paul B. like this.
  10. blindfredy

blindfredy Empty Pockets

Couldn't agree more, cheap and nasty but come razor sharp. Big whoop.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  11. blindfredy

blindfredy Empty Pockets

Words of wisdom.

12. blindfredy

blindfredy Empty Pockets

Glad you said knew. It's a pity they don't make them like this now.

Lightnig and Lorenzo like this.
  13. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

graveyard, Lightnig and Lorenzo like this.
  14. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Indeed, and thanks.

This is a great knife. If they still made them like this I would own a great many more.

15. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Morakniv is like the Hi Point of the knife world. Are they ugly? Yes. Are they cheap? Yes. Will they get the job done? You bet your ***. I would gladly use one with pride. No frills. They just work. I respect items like that.

16. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

My Mora 2000:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

andrej and 313 like this.
  17. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

18. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Well, I disagree (at least with the Hi-Point comparison). Hi Points are notorious for jamming and FTF/FTE's (i.e. malfunctions). Of all my Mora's I've never had one malfunction or fail to perform. They're exquisitely sharp, have excellent edge retention and will take a serious beating and keep going.

To those who say they're cheap crap, my rejoinder would be...let's see one of those $180 dollar knives stand up to the same punishment (day in and day out). It's not that some of those expensive knives are bad necessarily, but they're a lot more likely to be kept safely stowed away in the sheath (truck, pack, safe, etc.) when the going gets ugly for the cutting chores. The other day someone wrote a thread here about quality vs. cost and one of the responses brought up the concept of the law of diminishing returns. I think Mora's serve as a classic example of this law. Yes, you can spend 10x the cost of a Mora on another knive, but do you get 10x the knife for it? I don't believe you do. To me a knife is a tool (like a hammer or a screwdriver), and tools are meant to be used. If they're not being used then they become 'ornaments'. Ornaments are fine if that's your fancy, but for me they need to 'work'.

My Mora's get used or everything from breaking thick ice (on stock tanks), to cutting metal strapping, to dressing game and all the way down to the precision of filleting fish...and everything in between. They're all-weather, get used in rain, snow or scorching heat, 12 months out of the year and they take a serious beating doing it. To me, that says a lot about utility. Inexpensive yes, but 'cheap', hardly.

Just my .02

19. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

By the way, the Mora Clipper (on the left in the 1st and 4th pics, and shown in the 3rd picture) which is the earlier generation of the Mora Companion has seen some extreme use (as you can likely see). If there's a brutal task for a knife, this is the one which usually gets called upon to perform it. And despite the years of abuse it remains razor sharp (yes, it's had to be re-sharpened many times) and stands ready for the next task...even to this day.

20. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.