1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show your EDC lighters!!!

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Kraid, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

Here is the place to show off any lighter or any other "flame producing device" that you might want to put here. :)

Getting on with things, I'll kick this off with one of mine. For the years the "Constantine Zippo" has been my Holy Grail of lighters. I couldn't imagine anything cooler to me. Well, it was of course an oversized movie prop that just had a zippo insert. They were never mass produced. Zippo did a limited run of 300 for the Japanese market sometime around the release of the movie, but those quickly shot up to $2K+ on the secondary market! Well, I found someone to CNC a 1935 zippo in the Constantine style for me. I chose the 1935 due to the square shape and the outside hinge. Both features make it closer to the movie version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For for info on the meaning of the inscriptions:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Benedict_Medal

2. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Loaded Pockets

Very cool Zippo. Was all that work expensive?

3. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

You epitomized the true sense of Show-off and we all appreciate it .
    Taste, Manner and extraneous spending do not always blend on , but in your case .. It does !
    Thanks for your beautiful and wondrous posts !

BE WELL .. GH

4. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

Lol! I thank you much for your kind words, sir! I must admit that I am a bit of a show off, but I do enjoy seeing everyone else's gear too! And I'm often shown up! I mentioned to a friend one when he was trying to identify all of the gear on me in a pic, but was guessing much more expensive items, "I look more expensive than I really am." I can't afford a custom Emerson, so I find the people that can do the work for me to get me there appearance and quality wise, but at 1/3rd the cost. Much the same with this Zippo, I can't afford the prices that the Japanese editions pull down, so I had someone engrave on for me that I think is actually better than the Japanese version, but for a fraction of the cost!

But again, I thank you, my friend! Its much appreciated!

Cervantes and Gary Gross like this.
  5. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

LOL! Might as well close the thread, I think the first post is the winner! SICK ZIPPO! I love Zippos, I have 7.

6. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

Lol! Thank you! I didn't mean it as a contest, care to show any of your Zippos? I'm not gonna lie, I think that there is a real beauty in all of them, including the base models! Mayvbe especially the base models! And I know there are alot of cool butanes out there! Anyone? :)

7. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

2 Zippos 1 Windmill

Ha! Kraid wins! I will post some pics in a few hours of the three lighters I have.

Left to Right: Candy Red Zippo, A Zippo from the 60's ( I think) made in Niagara Falls with a Thunderbird Butane insert, and a windmill lighter from the year 2001!

[​IMG]

Bottom of the case for Zippo heads if they can confirm the date on the Matthews Conveyer Co.

[​IMG]

8. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

Guns and knives are stupid. Oh wait, not that kind of flaming.

I promise I am kidding about the above comment. I carry a Black Ice Zippo with a Z plus insert. My wife, at the time girlfriend, bought it for me and I've carried it ever since. It works remarkably well.

NIckakawoodstock and prayformojo like this.
  9. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

All right, I'll play here too. :)

Here are a few from my modest collection. Someday I'll take pics of the others as well.

This is one I customized to look antiqued or steampunked. It started out as a standard stainless steel zippo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Indy's lucky charm...

[​IMG]

And of course, after the Smoking Man died, I stole his lighter!

[​IMG]

Wes Lee, swen, Professor GC3 and 9 others like this.
  10. Flashlight Aficionado

Flashlight Aficionado Loaded Pockets

How did you do that? It looks so nice!

Wes Lee likes this.
  11. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

One of my Zippos with a turks head knot I put on it...

[​IMG]

12. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

@DB, I just found out about this "Steampunk" recently. I think it is fun and since I was a kid I always liked that sort of style, a la Jules Verne, Sherlock Holmes, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle etc.. cool zippos

13. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

DB it's actually Elsa's lighter, not Indy's :p

14. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

A little hand work, some time on the grinding wheel, and more hand work to finish it.

Yeah, I love that period. I'm going to make a few that are more of the fantasy steampunk style as well.

Yes, but in the movie he calls it his lucky charm. Not so lucky in the end though. ;)

15. Lasse Eskildsen

Lasse Eskildsen Empty Pockets

Steampunk \o/ Dieselpunk is more me though *drool*

[​IMG]

I carry a black bic which isnt quite interesting enough to deserve a picture
    I would like a zippo but dont bother filling it every week since I dont smoke

16. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

My EDC Zippo;

[​IMG]

17. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Try the thunderbird butane insert. I have had good luck with mine but I found that it still does leak....although slow, mine lasted about two months with light usage. No playing with the lid though. The gas is on as soon as the lid is open.

18. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Thunderbird. Thats what I EDC in any Zippo I happen to be carrying.

Wow! These are some really great examples!! I can't want to see more!

I'll contribute another one. I only recently found out about these, they're Zippo Blus, gutted and filled with wax/cotton tinder sticks. You just spread out the cotton and strike the wheel til it lights. Bonus is that the Zippo has a water tight seal so it should still work even if your BoB gets wet! Called the Zippo Emergency Fire Starter Kit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

Here is one of mine that I've posted around before. It is as a Japanese market "N8" coated "Black Hole" Zippo Armor. Dragoncut engraved it for me with the Emerson Skull and my favorite motto. Permission was asked and recieved from Mr. E. And I'm not sure what "N8" is but it bears a striking resemblance to DLC to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wes Lee, swen, 01bugtruck and 2 others like this.
  20. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Now that's a lighter .. >> SPARK

BE WELL .. GH