1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show us your Sharps, Chapter 5.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by cowsmilk, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I take it the other side and the other blade are all blank? I'll see what I can do...stay tuned!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Gary Gross likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

So as always, Google is still our friend... Let me jump to the first point: your knife, based on the tang stamp dates back to a period spanning 1956 ~ 1988. Not terribly precise; but that is seemingly the way things are. And that presumes it isn't a clone; no reason to think it is but....

Top of the search gives this: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/imperial-tang-stamp-chart.554106/. Two overall take-home lessons from this BF site: (1) At least back in 2008, there were obviously a number of MAJOR :censored:-holes on BF. Just about made me choke... (2) Having got that comment out of the way, it is also obvious that Imperial tang stamps were not/are not useful for pinning down manufacturing time in the same manner as Case tang stamps. We can get an 'era' but it is a long one.

Another insight from past BF: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/imperial-stockman-tang-stamp-question.1273976/ Look at post #9 in this BF thread. If the poster is accurate, it seems like Schrade back in 1946 went through some mergers etc., at which time Imperial became part of the corporate structure (or was it vice versa?). At any rate this post makes the point explicitly that the corporation did not make any effort to assign traceable date codes via tang stamps -- and further that sometimes 'older' blades ended up on newer pruduction.

You may also find this catalog of displays etc for merchants of Imperial knives to be interesting: http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/Imperial/1959-Imperial.pdf

I myself never knew but it seems that Imperial history goes back to England; this thread on All About Pocket Knives gives some background. No help in ID your knife, but thought you might be interested: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12153

The folks over at All About Pocket Knives really seem to get interested in tang stamps. Google identified this thread: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?t=39799 . (1) Very interesting; discussions and pics of tang stamp charts for many makers. (2) One poster gave reference to what appears to be a GREAT resource for tang stamps: John Goin's Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings. It is available on Amazon; as are many others.

As with so many things of collectors' interest, as you can see it would be easy to go down the rabbit hole and spend many hours exploring this topic! I hope this information is at least of some interest to you and others who will see this.

Yeah yeah, I know. Some will respond with 'tl:dr'.... Their choice!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

MartinC and Gary Gross like this.
  3. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

That's a nice bit of research my friend. I understand your sentiments about BF. There are a few threads I frequent. Most I scroll by. But there is often some good info to be found if you don't mind sifting through it all.

Judging by condition, I would assume the knife was made near the end of the production run. Honestly, I didn't expect it to be more than 10-15 years old. Sometimes you never know!

I think I'll keep track of your links and do some reading on a rainy or snowy night when I have the ability to really focus and see what I can learn. Thanks!

4. Gary Gross

5. Clown

Clown Loaded Pockets

6. K-808

K-808 Loaded Pockets

Very nice and a classic design.

Which model number is that ?

K

7. Clown

Clown Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I'd have to check on the model number. I think it's probably on the box?

8. Moshe ben David

My pleasure! Not often that I've been able to be the one providing info to you veterans here on EDCF!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Gary Gross likes this.
  9. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

An old pic, just for the fun of it

[​IMG]

10. Gary Gross

11. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

We seem to have similar tastes when it comes to knives, I like nearly all of your blades.
    I definitely like the tactical folder even though the chamfering could have some more different angles but I really dig that Case knife.

Bolstered slipjoints are getting more interesting to me lately, I think I'll have to order a French Laguiole Droit knife kit or a Le Thiers kit.
    With Juniper scales that would be around €40.

I'll start with my disassembled Case Trapperlock soon and I can tell you, Case might be good at slipjoints but their liner lock mechanism made of brass in a pinned construction is not their best idea so far ;)

I carry my Camillus again, after polishing the G10 on the wheel I'm impressed how good it's looking (on the pictuere it's only sanded to 1000 grit and polished with a scotchpad though)

[​IMG]

MartinC, qualitycarry, Lateck and 2 others like this.
  12. Gary Gross

I'm a sucker for some of the exotic handle options Case offers. I really like the look of your Camillus! Now you've got me thinking about them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Adahn likes this.
  13. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

This is a model 18669, I acutally ordered the smaller and single linered 18668.
    Had to mod it so the clip was on for tip up carry.

It's quite unique when it's about the mechanics of a liner lock knife.
    It has two seperate stop pins for open and closed position and the clip and its screws are countersunk so there's absolutely no wiggle.
    On the other side the scales where sanded like someone's first scale job and the screws on the back have smaller heads then the ones on the front.
    That would be ok if the countersunk holes wouldn't be same big on each side.

This Camillus feels a bit like that Case Trapperlock, so many things done right from a unique perspective but standard things are done poorly :p
    The Trapperlock for example didn't hold the blade inside because the detent ball couldn't catch the hole.
    No big deal on a knife held by fasteners, pretty bad on a pinned construction.
    They told me I would have to send it to the US first and on the net Case old timers said, put it in a slip case, then it's no problem.
    Yeah, right, why then put a pocket clip on it? :p

Oh, still craving for this one, maybe next year I have the funds for it (if I don't spend it for another Ti folder)

[​IMG]

Hagbard81, MartinC, Lateck and 2 others like this.
  14. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

15. Gary Gross

You might as well resign yourself that you need to buy both options. I think I'm at 5 or 6 tactical folders and a couple slip joints just this week! I'll have to take a few months off of buying to recover!

Adahn and Moshe ben David like this.
  16. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

The collection as it sits now, another Pardue mini grip in blue/grey to complement the full size one in the same colour. As well as another CRK Umnumzaan regular blade to match my tanto Umnumzaan. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

17. Gary Gross

18. Gary Gross

19. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Two knives came in today! My mini grip to complement my full size grip and my regular blade to go with my tanto Umnumzan[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

20. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I would do so if I could but it's not available anymore.
    It's like getting a Kershaw OD-1 for anything under $100...