1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show us your Sharps, Chapter 5.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by cowsmilk, Jan 1, 2015.

1. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

And why a kickstarter campaign for a knife? Any information?

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

2. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Maybe I am just old and not familiar with the fact, that if you wanna do business you just don’t do it on your own. Not criticizing, just trying to wrap my head around the current idea of business.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Think of Kickstarter as just one more option for how to fund a startup. Traditionally, starting a new business meant tapping into at least one and usually multiple sources of funds:

> savings
    > family
    > friends
    > local banker
    > 'angel' investors
    > venture capitalists

basically Kickstarter facilitates leveraging a potentially deeper pool of small investors via the Internet. It inherently also helps by establishing an early start to a marketing campaign; as these investors also generally become as part of their investment the rights to first runs of a product.

Very few people have sufficient savings to start a new business on their own -- especially if any significant investments in capital equipment will be required. Significant being a relative term of course. For some, all they need is a work space, a desk, a phone, a computer, some stationery. For others some potentially expensive technical equipment. Etc etc etc

Hope this helps.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

As much as I understand (and already understood) the sentiment and the technicalities, I think it’s overused. A Kickstarter for a folding knife? And yes I know, people use it to teach themselves how to make a salad. But as long as someone is willing to give and others are willing to take, well ok.

6. Moshe ben David

I disagree with you. The Kickstarter is not for a 'folding knife'. It is for funding of a business startup. If we were to dismiss business startups based on how 'serious' vs how 'sentimental' various businesses are based on our own opinion, I daresay many businesses would not exist.

I take a conceptual approach. Yes, each business is either producing a product or providing a service. As long as the business owner successfully identifies a market and meets that market's needs and expectations, the business will be able to exist and hopefully grow. That existence and growth, regardless of the product and/or service, is providing income and building wealth for the business owner, their family, the employee's families, the suppliers' families, etc etc. I also include in suppliers both material and service suppliers to the business. Going beyond the strict boundaries of the business, there are benefits to the community(s) in which it operates both geographically and functionally. This perspective is not dependent on the relative 'sentiment' or 'trivial' content of the business based on any single individual's point of view.

Given the conceptual approach I outline, I see no overuse of Kickstarter. It is simply one more tool in a kit or portfolio of tools to assist the startup or sometimes the growth of a business. I applaud it in these contexts.

You are of course entitled to your own point of view. I just don't agree in this case!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Mhmm let’s agree to disagree, no problem.

And now... this http://guff.com/20-of-the-most-ridiculous-kickstarter-projects

8. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

9. Moshe ben David

Yup. Thanks for the link. LMAO! Sigh. Some of these folk have no idea of what a business plan is... and their 'investors' were way too gullible. But then, back in the day (1920's? 1930's?) many people said the same about folks who bought land in what became big parts of Miami Beach... that's why it is called speculation! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

A few favorites.

[​IMG]

11. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

12. Moshe ben David

Very nice -- I especially like the extensive number and variety of Barlow's! Where did you find those large Texas toothpicks in the top row? All I ever seem to see these days are very small ones -- about the size of a Peanut. I have one; just don't find it in that size terribly useful.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

Those are a Laguiole, a little fancier than a Case toothpick (although they were probably the inspiration) and a class of knives in themselves. I find their history fascinating.

The term "Laguiole" (lay-ool) is generic and comes from knives made near the town of Thiers and village of Laguiole in France. Today there is no one brand or company by that name but there are still a small number of knife makers in the region that claim "authentic" use of the term (e.g. Forge de Laguiole and Fontenille-Pataud). There are also lots of cheap copies made around the world. The bee on the spine is iconic and steeped in legend. One (dubious) story is that it was granted to knife makers in the region as a sort of trademark by Napoleon. Also note the "Shepherd's Cross" on the handle. It was supposedly used for prayer by Catholic shepherds in the field.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4593 addylo, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  14. Moshe ben David

I've heard of that village of Thiers. In fact, you can IIRC, find knives even on Amazon with that name...

Question is, where did you find your 'toothpicks'. Or were you in France...?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

15. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

I did see some in Paris but didn't want to deal with the TSA, Customs, etc when bringing them home. The two in the pic were purchased over the web. There are several good retailers. I believe the small snakewood came from the Proper Moose. The larger ebony came from Laguiole Imports. Not sure if linking to them here is kosher but you can Google them. You can also get them direct through the two makers I mentioned (Forge de Laguiole and Fontenille-Pataud).

16. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Moshe ben David and addylo like this.
  17. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

For what it's worth, here's a bit of history about the bee and shepherd's cross.
    http://www.forge-de-laguiole.com/en/content/18-knives-and-traditions

Also some good info here:
    https://www.laguiole-imports.com/pages/laguiole-guidelines

I was in New Orleans several years ago and ran across a French Quarter shop which sold Laguiole. The nice French lady shopkeeper told me that they are the sharpest knives in the world and NEVER need sharpening. She said it with such earnestness that I honestly think she believed it. I just smiled, thanked her, and walked out.

Last edited by addylo, Dec 20, 2017
    #4597 addylo, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  18. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

T0452 bronze ti with Steel Flame clip
    [​IMG]

19. Dadpool

Dadpool Uber Prepared

[​IMG]

(Spyderco Military)

20. USMA_Hopeful

USMA_Hopeful Loaded Pockets

Emerson Rangemaster Sheepdog and Leatherman Wave

[​IMG]

Hagbard81 and aliaspostmortem like this.