1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show us your knife mods!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by K1CKtheCHICKEN, May 23, 2013.

1. jimmiewalker

jimmiewalker Loaded Pockets

SMAJ : what material is that? Looks cool! A. Kind of selfmade G10??

2. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

Its a material called kirinite

3. zephyr11

zephyr11 Loaded Pockets

i suppose you're asking bout the boker?

David of pointmanknives on instagram, does some superb work.

4. zephyr11

zephyr11 Loaded Pockets

that CRK is out of this world!

how do you like the knife? handling, opening and closing mostly, that's the only thing i'm worried bout not being able to get used to. everything else is perfect for me.

hope to hear your inputs!

thank you!

gemini and Adahn like this.
  5. zephyr11

zephyr11 Loaded Pockets

6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I very much like the knife, but be aware, it's not Idaho Made but of oriental origin, to say so...
    You can open it with the thumb stud alike locking pin that rides on the spine of the handle but it's better to be opened by pressing your thumb on the Ti spring and open it that way. There's a little cut-out which makes it very intuitive and easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's very smooth with ball bearings which make way more sense then on a frame or liner lock where the detent ball always takes away a bit of the smooth action. I had to correct the path of the spring at the front of the knife, I ground it with a diamond sharpening stone by hand as it was not perfectly circular and opening, closing felt a bit stiff. Also the thumb stud like thingy was a bit too long and wiggly, so I unscrewed it (it's a 2 part construction) and shortened it and lately even sanded, polished and heat colored these studs. They are steel with a brass finish, now they are nicer. Also the lock up felt a bit stiff, or to be more exact, the opening, so I sanded that area a little bit, too. Now it's locking perfectly when in use as the finger on the spring keeps it locked.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I can close it with a good hit with the spine of the blade towards my leg or by pressing down the tip of the spine with my index finger. This way it's technically a slip joint knife but a locking folder when in use.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It's not made for spinewhack tests or batoning, something that's a misuse of any folder IMO, but for edc it's great.
    So I can say this was worth the $140 I paid for it. I'd very much like to try the $475 original version someday, but it wouldn't be so interesting for me as I would be close to perfect and nothing to optimize ;)
    Also I must add that for my daily needs I prefer the Ontario RAT 2 because I can hold the blade better to only use the tip of the knife when I don't want to use a snap-off knife on job. For travelling, food prep etc, I prefer the TiLock.
    Oh, and one more thing to make this post even longer, I far more enjoy to anodize and optimize this knife as I really use it and I wish I could afford more Titanium knives or other Ti-toys to play with. Sadly nobody in my company or among my friends has a heart for Titanium. I'd even anodize it for free, but well, my fate is a sad one :spin:

P.S. Reverse grip opning is working, too :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by Adahn, Sep 13, 2014
  7. Keyman

Keyman Loaded Pockets

8. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

You sure do turn out these scales quickly! Is the locking mechanism difficult to deal with when making scales? Also, do you have a jig or some other device that aids you in cranking these bad boys out?! Very nice work by the way! I do not have a knife like this, and haven't ventured outside the frame locks and liner locks...yet!

gemini likes this.
  9. Keyman

Keyman Loaded Pockets

The axis lock can be finicky if you don't give it what it wants.
    It is definitely more challenging than a liner/frame lock would be.
    But, once you figure out it's needs it's not bad.
    Nope, no jig, just the factory scales.
    Though, at this point, I'm sure repetition plays a role.

My favorite parts......

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. f250

f250 Empty Pockets

First post, and first serious modding job I've done to a production folder, although I've made a few really rough knives before.

Ontario rat 1
    Ferric chloride acid wash on all steel parts
    Diy clothes dryer stone wash with slate chips
    Rough sanded original scales to remove texture
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Some really really nice work in this thread!
    It's been years since I was doing a lot of wood working and forging/messing around with knives. This thread gave me the itch again!

11. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

Awesome looking! I want to do some acid/stone wash, but haven't tried it yet. That is one of my favorite finishes for sure!

gemini likes this.
  12. f250

f250 Empty Pockets

Thanks!

It's way easier than I expected...and rewarding results with very little expense.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should do the same thing to my Rat 3....not sure if removing the powder coat and stonewashing will make it more susceptible to rust though.

gemini and Adahn like this.
  13. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

I am in the process of modding a Rat 1 scales that was gifted to me, so since I have it all disassembled perhaps I should get it acid washed!

Adahn likes this.
  14. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

If I ever get another RAT folder then it would be the black blade. This way you can etch in the logo first, remove the paint and acid wash it. I wish my blade would be logo'd like the clip...

[​IMG]

SMAJ, gemini and vegassprky like this.
  15. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Nearly done Kershaw Chill scales, just have to polish and heat bronze the screws, the originals were a bit too short and I didn't want to sink them too much into the woods, one repair on the drilled thru pivot screw was enough :p

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Carbon fiber backspacer

[​IMG][​IMG]

It's the "real thing" but my customer (I do it for the fun) doesn't really like cf.
    Maybe she'll dig it or maybe I have to make one of wood, then with a gap for a leather lanyard.
    What will I do with the backspacer? Either I buy another Chill and make it full cf or...
    I just let it lay around...

Did I say already that this Chill is flicking like and ball bearing flipper knife I ever tried and even smoother than that? And what's the lubricant? Simple olive oil, who'd thought that, I just want to use it on the wood and just put a bit on the washers when it was assembled already, but yeah, flicks like crazy :)

bpeezer, survivorman, SMAJ and 2 others like this.
  16. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

what type of wood?

Adahn likes this.
  17. zephyr11

zephyr11 Loaded Pockets

18. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

zephyr11 Happy you liked my reply :)
    About the blade steel I can only say what's stamped on it:
    [​IMG]

Of course that's no proof and I doubt that they imported crucible's S35VN to China to make a knockoff knife of it but I can say it's the best blade I own when it's about edge retention. It's also good to sharpen, but what exact steel it it, no clue...

vegassprky likes this.
  19. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Teak. Got a big block of it for free plus a whiter wood (something with B, I always forget it) from Swedish customers who are in the hardwood business. I guess for such a piece I'd have to pay $300 or more from a knife supply shop :p

vegassprky and SMAJ like this.
  20. REDDEVIL

REDDEVIL EDC Junkie!!!

Kershaw Cryo 2 with G10 scale, gott the scale before the knife. love my cryo g10 so I knew I would like this but wasn't going to buy the knife if the scale couldn't/ wouldn't be made[​IMG]

vegassprky and SMAJ like this.